1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Focus, Fitness, and Food

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by skippy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. skippy

skippy Member

Hello there!

Skippy, new here, female, 38 years old.

Two years ago, I was in the best shape of my life. I had all of my ducks in a row: workouts, nutrition, and plenty of motivation. Then I had an injury and things changed. I tore a subscapular muscle and strained my spinal extensors. It was a long and difficult recovery, and unfortunately, not a full one. I continue to struggle with scar tissue pain.

I kept my diet up for a long time after the injury and as a result, my body did not change much. I lost some muscle, but nothing significant. This was an important lesson for me in the power of good nutrition.

However, this winter has been a difficult one. I began to experience some depression. I lost my motivation to go to the gym. My diet went to hell. This increased the depression, and a vicious cycle began: low activity, unhealthy eating, increased depression.

So, I have learned another important lesson. Working out is not just about how I look. It is about how I feel. It is as much about being mentally healthy as it is being physically healthy.

My goal for this journal: Get back on track. Regular workout schedule and good nutrition. Rediscover my passion for healthy living and fitness.

The format of my journal will evolve over time, as I figure out what I enjoy and what works for me.

My Schedule and Routine

Mon: Full Body, Compound lifts, 4 sets each
    Tue: Light cardio + biceps
    Wed: Full Body, Compound lifts, 4 sets each
    Thr: Light cardio + triceps
    Fri: Full Body, Compound lifts, 4 sets each
    Sat: Steady State Cardio

Since I will be changing my nutrition and eating fewer calories, I will keep the cardio very light for now and focus on weight training.

As a way for me to track progress, every few weeks I will post an update of my weight and measurements. This is what they are right now:

Female, 38 years old
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 150 lb
    Chest: 37"
    Waist: 27"
    Hips: 37"
    Thigh: 22"
    Upper Arm: 11"

That is about it for now. I will post my workout later today and hopefully have some time to read others journals. I think this type of log works best when people have support from others. Looking forward to becoming a part of this community!

2. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Welcome! I bet it won't take you long to get back into fighting shape, so to speak. You clearly have the knowledge and motivation to do it.

I really liked when you wrote:

I think this is something people who have never worked out don't understand. Sure, the physical benefits of working out are nice, but that motivation, drive, and overall great mental and emotional feeling that goes along with it is even better.

3. skippy

skippy Member

Hey, Bradley! Thank you for the encouragement. It is greatly appreciated!

Yes, the exercise improves my mind as well as my body. I have become so forgetful since I stopped going to the gym. It is like I have constant brain fog. The benefits go way beyond just the physical. I am looking forward to my clarity of thought returning. Abs will be nice too, though! :cool:

4. skippy

skippy Member

Wed March 6

WED: FULL BODY

Warm up: 15 min

Squats: 4 x 12 x 45

Oly Bar Rows: 4 x 12 x 45

Bench: 4 x 12 x 45

Military Press: 4 x 12 x 30

Stiff Leg DL: 4 x 12 x 45

Assisted Chins: 2 x 7 (64lb assist)

Crunches x 100

This week, I am not adding weight but just trying to get back into the groove. I focused on good form. I did not plan on doing any chins, but just tossed them in at the end on a whim. I have to be careful with them because they can make my back fussy if I overdo it. My plan is to start very slow, and increase weight very slow. If all goes well this week, I will bump it up 5-10lbs next week.

Overall, I enjoyed this workout and even though it wasn't very intense, I felt like I had accomplished something.

The workout is really the easy part. It is getting through the rest of the day and eating right. I will post my nutrition, win or lose, later this evening.

5. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

It is IMO that this type of thought is absolute truth.

I NEVER feel better mentally than when I am in a consistent mode of workouts.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome to JSF Skippy.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I also believe that the mental benefits of exercising are huge. I certainly know they are for me.

7. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

You guys are all so cheery with your upbeat workout attitudes. It's inspiring.

The rest of us...well...we'll just keep struggling through the fight!

Welcome, Skippy!

8. skippy

skippy Member

:tucool:

I have gotten myself to the gym a few times this winter, and it is amazing how much better I feel even for just a day or two afterwards. I have just lacked the motivation to be consistent, which is why I started this journal! It helps to be held accountable, especially when you fall off and struggle to get back on track--my experience, anyway! Thanks for stopping by!

The difference has been very noticeable to me. I am usually energetic, upbeat, not easily angered ... but lately I dunno, lol. :blank:

Thank you for stopping by!

Thank you for the welcome! It is a struggle for me as well, I am just cheery afterwards! :)

9. skippy

skippy Member

Nutrition March 6th

Daily Intake Totals

Cals 1580
    Fat 65 g
    Cholesterol 145 mg
    Sodium 799 mg
    Carbs 124 g
    Fiber 21 g
    Protein 125 g
    Sugars 32 g

My dinner ...

.5 lbs 96% lean ground beef
    1 cup brown rice
    1 cup green beans

Not the fanciest, but it hit the spot. I made it through the day with no diet slips. Tomorrow, I need to go grocery shopping. Stock up on some fresh veggies and fruits. Chicken breast. My first cheat meal will be March 16th.

10. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Doesn't need to be fancy as long as it works :)

11. skippy

skippy Member

True that! :)

Update:
    Well, today the motivation is not coming so easily. One of those days I could just spend doing nothing, and feel like crap for it tomorrow. So, I will get to the Y today and just walk on the track and then hit some biceps. It is my light cardio day, no excuses.

12. skippy

skippy Member

Made it to the gym.

30 min walking on the track

High Cable Curls: 3 x 12 x 15lb

Seated Incline Curls: 3 x 12 x 15lb

Behind head curls on cable: 3 x 12 x 15lb

Cable Curls: 3 x 12 x 15lb

Really did not feel like it today, but forced myself to go and had a surprisingly good little workout.

A few other changes I have made so far:

Added Supplements for joints
    Drinking Xtend with water during workout and post

Eventually, I will add creatine, but there does not seem to be much of a point in doing so right now, as my lifts are still light and easy.

Weighed 147.2 this morning. I think 5 lbs is definitely bloat from too much salt and carbs. If I stay on track, I will be down to 145 by Sunday. That is when the real work begins.

13. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Interesting...

Welcome to JSF!

Good plan, good attitude, good golly, I think I'll be following your path, skippy. Get to it and Godspeed. :)

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice job getting to the gym. I've found very little correlation between how I feel before going and my actual experience. Sometimes when initial motivation is low I have a great workout and sometimes when I can't wait to walk through those doors I'm average, or mediocre, at best. That said, with very few exceptions I feel better leaving than when I showed up.

15. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll chime in with the welcome and well wishes. Nice to see a female who is as committed to working out (and not just "losing weight and toning up"). Interesting to hear you mention creatine as part of your thought process... not something you hear too often from a woman. Have you used it in the past? What kind of results did it produce?

16. skippy

skippy Member

Thank you, Lenny! Hope you are having a nice weekend! :)

Hey, good point. There really is not much of a correlation that I have noticed, either. I do always feel better when leaving! :)

Hello there! Yes, I have used creatine in the past. It does not work for everyone, but I respond to it pretty well. It gives me a little extra umph. Easier to push out a few more reps. It also increases my strength a little. But it is not something that does the work all on its own. I still have to get to the gym and eat right!

17. skippy

skippy Member

Yesterday was a miss for me, both in workout and diet. I didn't do too bad on diet, but Doritos are not exactly in my nutritional plan. I need to get to the gym as early as possible
    instead of putting it off until the end of the day because by that time I have made too many excuses. I used to be able to put off the gym until the end of the day. I had the discipline
    to just go, no matter how I felt, but that is not the case anymore. From now on I will be going in the mornings.

I did get there this morning. Full body routine with a little variation.

Warm up: 10 min stationary bike

Kettlebell deep squats: 3 x 15 x 25 <---this exercise is performed by putting on a belt and attaching a kettlebell with a chain. Then I stand on the pullup station and do wide and deep squats.
    The squats are musch deeper than what I could do if not elevated. This is a great movement for lifting and building glutes

Standing Military Press: 3 x 12 x 30

Lying leg curls: 4 x 12 x 35

Bench press: 4 x 12 x 45

Lat pulldowns: 3 x 12 x 40

Hip Abduction: 3 x 25 x 30

Tomorrow is supposed to be my off day, but I need to make up a cardio and tricep day.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on getting right back at it. A missed day here and there isn't going to change the long term progression; that only happens when one leads to two which leads to.....so on and so forth.

19. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Doritos are my biggest weakness in terms of food. About a week ago, someone in my house left a slightly-eaten, half-open bag of Doritos on the kitchen table at night. In the morning when I entered the kitchen to make my usual breakfast of oatmeal I smelled the Doritos and...well, let's just say my oatmeal was long forgotten and the entire bag of Doritos was gone in under 10 minutes. :(

That's actually one reason I hate living with other people; I like controlling the food I have available in the house. If it's not there, you can't eat it!

I hear you on getting to the gym as early as possible. But at least you recognize that you have difficulty getting to the gym in the evenings. Good job on identifying the issue and adjusting to stay on track.

20. skippy

skippy Member

Yes, that is what I am trying to avoid. It is so hard to get back on once you fall off. I need to break that cycle instead of repeating it. Thanks!

Oh I have a teenage daughter, so there is plenty of temptation in my house! For a very long time, I would not even consider eating her snacks, but that has changed in the past few months. I have stopped buying my favorite munchies, like popcorn.