1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing your metabolism?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by tammy, May 3, 2007.

1. tammy

tammy Well-Known Member

For people who have had poor diet practices in the past is there a way to fix their metabolism to where it was or even improve on it or is the damage generally permanent?

I know you're supposed to eat more often and try to get more muscle. Will this restore the metabolism and is there anything else you can do?

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I think a planned gradual increase of calories combined with resistance training would be the way to go about it. Cardio would be involved, but I would lean toward interval training or other higher intensity work to fire up the metabolism over lower intensity stuff that has no longer termed metabolism raising effects.

A good book to get that's pretty cheap is Metabolism Advantage.

3. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

From my own personal experience I do not believe the damage is permanent. If you've been dieting for a long while, raising calories for a couple of weeks to your supposed maintenance levels (bwx15 is a normally used guideline) should help.

Other than that make sure to include some form of refeeds and/or diet breaks in your cutting plans and add intense resistance training (full body or upper/lower for maximum metabolic impact).

Are you currently cutting? If so for how long without a break? Or is this a general question?

Shahar.

4. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Very seldom do people have permanent "damage." In fact, often, it's not that your metabolism is damaged ... that's more "shock speak" to get your attention. The body naturally adapts to your habits. Low calorie intake? It will slow down. This is homeostasis. This is independent of nutrient status ... in other words, if you are eating 1200 calories, you might be getting a lot of raw vegetables, etc, taking a quality multivitamin, and actually getting good nutrients, or you might be eating nothing but junk. Either case, your metabolism is likely to slow, but in one case you'll be undernourished which is a whole different set of issues, in the other you may be fine - you'll have a slow metabolism but it's not damaged.

People like to use shocking terms like "starvation" when 1000 calories while low is still a far cry from starvation.

So, 99% of the time, simply changing your habits to ones that promote metabolism will slowly bring it back up ... in fact, I've done this with a LOT of clients who were on traditional low calorie diets and were having trouble dropping. We raised their metabolism and helped them discard fat despite taking in higher calories.

Go to www.google.com and type in "don't let your metabolism fall" and you'll find the article I wrote about metabolism and specifically how to raise it.

Jeremy

5. tammy

tammy Well-Known Member

I'm not currently on any real diet plan. I want to lose weight but I'm having trouble sustaining the motivation. I'm constantly swinging from being unhappy with the way I look to telling myself that I'd be happier if I'd just learn to accept myself and enjoy life. This is made more difficult by the fact that I don't seem to drop weight/keep it off as easily as I have in the past. I know part of it is probably just that I'm getting older, but it's still disheartening. The other issue is that I'd fall into the category of "skinny fat" so even though I don't really like the way I look right now, I don't look bad enough to make me feel bad enough to try my hardest to get rid of it.

Right now, I figure I should at least try to reverse whatever problems have been caused by this yo-yo motivation to help me if I ever do fully commit.

#5 tammy, May 4, 2007
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. dabagboy

dabagboy Active Member

Tammy, you sound like a more experienced dieter than I was at 40yrs old and 175lbs of "skinny fat", but that doesn't mean you can't change something. I started cardio thinking I could lose a few inches of fat in my gut. I really enjoy food, eating and "being full" the idea of diet to me = "being constantly hungry" it was NOT for me I also "tried" to eat less (whatever that means). After 8 weeks of 5x/wk cardio I hadn't lost a pound, couldn't figure it out, started googling to really learn WTF I was doing wrong, found this site and started a diet journal just to find out what I was really eating, as I had never really "counted calories" or read labels.

3 weeks in and I'm down to a new low this morning of 165.8.

Well now I can tell you precisely what I eat and you can read it yourself here http://tinyurl.com/3cgg

and the best part is I'm almost never hungry, when I do get "hungry" my next meal is only an hour away, and I can certainly hold off for an hour, I can also go refill my ever present water bottle.

The biggest thing I learned that was working against me was probably skipping breakfast and drinking 4 cups of coffee to fast until lunch. This whole group seems to follow advice much like Jeremy's post/article above. You will be amazed how easy it is once you endeavor to fix your metabolism, and "balance" your diet. Heck I've been to McDonalds 2x this week (well sort of I ate Santa Fe Chicken one night & Snack Wrap Grilled w/ Honey Mustard the other) and I'm still making amazing forward progress.

I found keeping journal is pretty easy and it keeps me honest, I can't "sneak" a Big Mac and forget it the next day, the fat and calories become part of my permanent record.

7. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

After reading your post my advice.
    would be to start eating healthier and begin
    an exercise routine. Nothing fancy just a simple lifting session twice a week and some cardio x 2 a week(2-3 hours a week max). The purpose of all this is not to make you lose weight, but to get you on the track of healthier living as opposed to "dieting". Who knows, In a couple of months you might even recomp a bit and that might boost your motivation enough to start a "proper" cutting plan, which you will be in a much better position to execute,
    Either way you will be getting the benefits of eating healthier and exercising.

I don't know how to respond to this, on the one hand
    you are obviously dissatisfied with your physical appearance but on the other hand you are currently unwilling to invest the time and effort to change it.

Can you define "accept myself" ? We all have our shortcomings which we need to learn and accept.
    But the way I am reading your sentence is "To surrender". If you surrender will you be less unhappy? I believe otherwise.

Maybe your list of priorities will only allow you to focus on weight loss in the future. maybe your weight will become unimportant to you, Or maybe you will find your motivation one way or another, but please don't walk the path of least resistance by giving up on your goals.

Good Luck.

Shahar.