1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness tips for an aspie

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by BochenNewbie, Sep 23, 2018.

1. BochenNewbie

BochenNewbie New Member

Hello everybody! My name is Aurélien Beauchêne, I'm a semi-professional horn player who lives in Bordeaux (France), I'm close to having 25 years old, & as you may have guessed by the title of this thread, I have Asperger Syndrom.
    Long story short, my mother was epileptic when she was pregnant of me, so she had to take a certain drug to calm her convulsions; at the time she didn't knew that this drug could affect the foetus & cause many physical growth disorders for the child.
    This explains one of my disabilities, which is a bad arm-leg coordination (learned to walk at only 3 years old instead of the regular 1.5 years old), & restrained me for practicing any kind of sport for more than a year or two (I did some rock-climbing, tennis & judo).
    Nowadays I'm a 5,7 ft tall guy weighing almost 180 lb (slightly overweight) who lives in an apartment in the very center of Bordeaux, cooking my own healthy recipes & walking around 12 miles per week.
    My goal is to lose 15 lb for New Year's Eve, which gives me around 3 months of delay. The thing is I have searched far & wide for an ideal workout with clearly explained exercices for me to familiarize myself.
    Many times have I faced the same cliché of "you should know how to do these before you can even start a workout", & I was like "How about those that don't even know how to do the very basic stuff?" It's like if someone wanted to start taking piano lessons, & for some reason, his/her teacher gives him a Rachmaninov study for only two weeks (9/10 on the difficulty scale). Would that be fair to the wannabe pianist to start on something THIS hard? Would it be the same for someone like me who doesn't even know how to perform a wall push-up or a half-jack to be thrown into the spartan's training room only to be crushed by Leonidas himself?
    Ahem... Sorry if I got carried away in my frustration.
    The thing is that I'm not looking for the most perfect workout ever; all I want is a very simple program with each exercice explained implicitly (for example: "Step 1: move your arm like this. Step 2: lift your leg like that.") I will try to do my best to follow your future advices & responses as I don't have a lot of free time being a semi-pro musician.
    Thank you for reading my first post!

Aurélien Beauchêne​

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Bonjour.

Bordeaux, my friends, my wife and myself are thinking of visiting there next year. It's between Bordeaux and Burgundy. Yes we are wine people.

To help you, I would need to know what equipment you have access to, dumbbells, barbells, machines, etc. Also, besides weight loss, what is your goal? More strength, running, biking, parkour?

There is an old exercise manual written in French called L'éducation physique virile et morale par la méthode naturelle written by George's Hebert that is the foundation of Parkour and Natural Movement and certainly the American Ninja Warrior competition (though you probably have not seen it in France).

Weight loss is strictly eating less food. Exercise is about fitness.

We are here to help.

Your English is very good. You are a professional musician. Obviously, you are not letting Asperger's hold you back. You will be successful in your fitness journey as well.

BochenNewbie and Seltzer like this.