1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness Log (A spreadsheet to track your progress)

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by adi, Jun 25, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Same here - I saw this thread for the first time in a long, long time today and said "this is sticky material!" Then I saw several people asking for it to be made a sticky (assuming I'd see the posts) but no one ever thought to PM me about it. :p

Anyway, it's a well-deserved sticky now. What an awesome spreadsheet! Excellent work, adi! :)

2. bren

bren Well-Known Member

Yea, cheers for the spreadsheet it's awesome (and for the sticky, never would have found it otherwise!)

3. irongrl

irongrl Well-Known Member

Open Office

Thanks for the spreadsheet!
    I am running Suse Linux with Open Office as my spreadsheet program. Your excel file works great with Open Office and Gnumeric (another Linux based spreadsheet program).

4. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Just spent 2 hours reading this thread. Your dedication is amazing Adi, thanks for all your hard work. Can't wait to get on my PC and give the spreadsheet a try (currently on my mac).

5. seanp99

seanp99 Well-Known Member

I really like this program. I'm finally down to 229 and just adjusted it to lose 2 pounds a week. I'm 6'4" and used to weigh 265, then got to 250, then found JSF and started reading. I then decided to get serious, clean diet, max-ot, and fasted cardio. I feel great, my wife likes the progress, even my little ones like to watch and imitate. Great program.

Sean

6. TreeSlayer

TreeSlayer Well-Known Member

i must be doing something wrong. when i open it, it looks nothing like the sceenshot. i keep getting messages saying macros not enabled. i shure would like to try this. thanks!....TreeSlayer

7. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Macros

Hey TreeSlayer, just saw your private msg and responded. Please include your OS and Excel version. After I get that I should be able to tell you how to enable macros in that version.

8. TreeSlayer

Thanks, Adi! i'm on XP home and Excel 2000

9. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Wow!!!!

So, I havent been by here in couple months. There had been no updates to this thread since december and it was falling further and further down the list...I was a little dissapointed that even though the only thread that had more views was the "all the whey" sticky thread, this thread was being outpaced by other stuff.

I show up today and I can't find this article at all...I keep scrolling down the list further and further, on to the next pages, and still cant find it. I think "they must have decided it was too old or no longer useful and deleted it." And then I see it...its the VERY FIRST article...and a STICKY!!!

:jumping: WOW, its really uplifting that others find my contributions useful and meaningful. Thank you all for all the kind words. Making this spreadsheet was a long personal journey for me. While I was writing it, I was adopting the John Stone lifestyle and using this spreadsheet to help motivate and keep me honest. Its been a tought battle, the first 30 pounds fell off easily in 4 months, then came the plateau. The next 4 months had me hovering between 190 and 195. Then last month I suddenly added about 5 pounds back...and no, its not muscle. So now I'm between 195 and 200 and it doesn't feel good. The goal is 160, and now I've got 35-40 pounds to go instead of 30.

But today has been a great day for me!! I see that others are using and enjoying my work, and it has motivated me to buckle down and get back on track. :bb:

:bow: Thanks to you all, for the suggestions and great compliments. Special thanks to those here from the beginning like Hobbes and Snotfu and Walcrawlr for all of your suggestions. And I cant leave out Rtestes, whos always lurking around, for the compliments, suggestions, sticky recommendations, and the occasional bump.

You are all great...this is a wonderful forum filled with great people. You've all really inspired me today. :D

10. adi

adi Well-Known Member

macros

In excel, goto tools, macro, security

change it from high to medium...with this setting you will have to enable macros every day when you open the spreadsheet. this is how I have it set.

you can change it to low, but only if you are very sure of your virus scanner.

11. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Linux

Thanks for the info Irongrl! I will add Open Office and Gnumeric to the list of working versions. I wouldn't have though either of those apps would support the VBA code in the macros. Given the problems mac office seems to have, I'm glad to know that it works under linux. btw...do you know the version of either of those apps?

#111 adi, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  12. TreeSlayer

Outstanding! Works just fine now. :tu: I can't wait to get started. Thanks again, and I'll keep ya posted. :nod:

13. SnotFu

SnotFu Well-Known Member

Well now that I can see Adi is still around, I want to say a few things. First, I am very glad this has been stickied. Well deserved. This spreadsheet is enough to keep people on a healthy path all by itself. I use it EVERY day and have been since July 14, 2004. Everyone needs to download and use this.

Now for the bugs:
    I have found that the document does not go infinite. You cannot add any more days after the 186th day. I went from 7/14/04 to 1/16/05. I had to save the old document and start fresh. This is not a big deal, but you cannot track overall progress. Looks like 2.07 bumps this to 1 year of logs, even though I cannot get it to import data from v 2.06.

From the 1st to the 9th of every month, you have to edit the date on the "Setup" tab to match the current day. It does not acknowledge single digit dates. Says something like "the day does not exist". You can fix this error by setting the setup date to match the current day such as "3/6/05" to create a new day for the 6th, inputting whatever data is needed for the day, and then going back and editing the original start date back to the original date.

It would be nice to be able to customize the "Master Daily Menu" portion on the "Menu" tab. Like being able to delete or add a row.

Do not let any of these problems stop new users from trying this out. This document is perfect for logging your progress. Thanks in advance to Adi if he continues to improve this.

#113 SnotFu, Mar 6, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  14. DeeLovely79

DeeLovely79 Well-Known Member

I know that the Fitness Log v2.07 was not created for Execl 97 but when I open it works except for a few bugs that I was hoping I coudl get some help with. When I open it I get a Visual Basic Error saying "Complie Error Sub or Fucntion not defined". After I close Visual Basic and try to reset the form VB opens up again and I get the same error in the reset everything macro. The macro initially reads like this
    Sheets(MonthName(Month(Now), True) & " '" & Right(Year(Now), 2)).Delete
    and then after anding in some parentheses and changing some things
    the line looks like this
    Sheets(MonthName)(Month(Now), True) = " '" & Right(Year(Now), 2).Delete
    And I am able to reset the spreadsheet but the sample month sheet disappears and I am not able to get it back so I can get my daily menus.

15. lambchop

lambchop Well-Known Member

bug in excel 2000, or is it me?

Adi,
    Can't wait to use this spreadsheet. It looks awesome.
    I have encountered 1 glitch.

I am entering my date on the main page as 3/8/05, along with all of the other required information.

Then, I go to Create Todays Menu, enter my weight today, and click the create todays menu button.

I get a whoops! box: Todays date 03/08/2005, does not match any date on the WL sheet, column D.....

If I go to the WL sheet, I see the appropriate date there.

I am guessing this is one of those 'duh' moments, but I cannot figure it out.
    Can you help?

16. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Geez Louise

SF, nice to see you again...with problems like you describe below I am amazed that you are able to use the thing at all...I'd never use it if it was that screwed up. I think your copy is corrupted.
    All of the bugs you have dont exist in my copy...I use it every day and have never had to change anyhing on any screen. I only add my weight and food every day...nothing else...and mine is into the 9th month...well past the 186th day. Having said that (so as to let others reading this know its ok and works better than that) lets address your issues each in turn.
    Correct, until v 2.07 it was only good for 6 months...of course the very first line on the very first page (the setup page) does say 6 months).
    yes v2.07 extends it to 1 year, but no longer than that. If there is a desire, I will extend it further, but the spreadsheet is getting so long on the weight loss data page its not pleasant to scroll thru it.
    I test each version by upgrading my own previous spreadsheet....so I am running 2.07 and it is an import from my own 2.06, so it worked for me...if you have your old 2.06, maybe you can send it to me and I can try upgrading it myself...send me a pm if you like. Maybe I can import your 2.07 into a clean 2.07 and see if that works better.

What the heck is that all about...I'd spit fire if I had to do that every month....I have never had to go to the setup page again after my intial setup and import of 2.06. I cant imagine anyone else is having that problem either or there would have been complaints aplenty ever since I posted 2.07...or then again maybe no one is using it....:)

My guess is that "somehow" (no offense intended) the formatting got changed on one of the cells or columns...feel free to pm me a copy of your 2.07 and I'll look at that too.
    Tough luck on this one...youre not the first to ask, but its excel, and if you change that screen the spreadsheet will never work again...Sorry.

17. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Dee, you little coder you.

Dee, this is probably going to end in tears, but lets give it a try anyway.
    The problem I have found is that older versions of excel dont support alot of the calls/vba that 2000/2003 support...so this might be a lost cause. I had to rewrite major portions just to make it work with excel 2000.

So you changed some parens around and got past the issue above...nice...just realize that the code you modified sets the name of the sheet to the current month and year...if the mod you made changes the syntax of the name in any way...other stuff will likely fail....but nicely done nonetheless.
    When you reset the spreadsheet, the sample month is deleted. thats by design. then you fill in your 5 pieces of data and choose, new month and a new one (with the current month/year) is created for you....its blank, except for the first 10 lines (just like the section in black that was at the top of the sample page) where you key your daily info before pressing the create todays menu button.
    Is it possible the stuff changed above has caused it not the create a menu for the new month?

Told you it would end in tears...you know, everyone and their brother has a copy of office 2000, xp or 2003 that you might be able to borrow...:)

18. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Hmmm...interesting

Well, thats a new one. today is 3/8 and I keyed my weight this morning and it worked fine. But based on what you've written above, it seems like you're doing everything correctly. pm me and send me your copy and I'll take a look...this might be a new bug.

#118 adi, Mar 8, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  19. getnlean

getnlean Well-Known Member

I am kinda new here, but I decided to de-lurk and say this thing is amazing! I love it! I can't wait to incorporate it into my current challenge! I am sure it will help out immensely! :D

~Stacey

20. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

Excellent work, Adi!!! I am putting this to the test tomorrow. I think it will help me out a lot as far as getting back on track.

One suggestion for future versions is maybe to have some sort of a confirmation when you hit the "Reset Spreadsheet" button. Right now, you click it, and all is gone.