1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness Log (A spreadsheet to track your progress)

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by adi, Jun 25, 2004.

1. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I think the BMR is a better determinate of calories than the 10-12X. I wish we could have a choice. Note that height, age, and sex doesn't change that often, weight does. When it changes your BMR will change also.

You might have to run a poll. You have done a great job, it will be hard to satisfy us all. If you stopped now, you have produced the best thing going.

2. SnotFu

SnotFu Well-Known Member

This option belongs in the setup page, because the information will be needed daily. Also, you have to leave it customizable because a person's activity might increase or decrease at any time. I don't think anyone would be able to change this daily, but if they realize they are playing more sports this week than they did last week, they will want to change their activity figures from "sedentary" to "lightly active". Which is an increase of .175 x your dailly caloric intake.

I would love for Marcus to field this, but I will try to find some relevant links and such. Basically, your BMR is what you would burn if you sat in bed all day. And since nobody at JSF is sleeping in all day, adding in the activity calculation is useful.

So far, for links I have this (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/79/96024?z=4246_00000_4026_00_11 and http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm and http://www.tim-richardson.net/BodyForLife/analysis.html and http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm which is an excel document that does the math for you, courtesy of JSF's own "taffer").

I thought the field for your Daily Caloric Intake Goal was obsolete. I always assumed the only number you used for acquiring your caloric intake was the BMR number. For example, my current weight x 10 is 2120. Wheras, my BMR is 2050. The number of calories I would be eating today would be 2050, not 2120.

However, once I multiply the extra 1.55 x my BMR, I get my real caloric intake goal: 3177.5. Then I subtract my weekly weight loss goals from this number: 3177.5 - 1000 (2 lbs a week), and I get 2177.5 calories I need to take today. Which you can see is more than 10x my weight, and 120 calories more than my current BMR (the amount the excel document tells us to consume). One you get this amount, you then calculate your 40/40/20.

The only problem I have with the acitivity math, is that it thinks I only burn an additional 120 calories a day. We know that when we workout and do some cardio we burn more than this in a day. I would ultimately like to know exactly how many calories I burned and work from that. But, that would be crazy to implement. Approximations are much easier.

I want know what I am burning and calculate my intake accordingly. Some people might not think 120 calories is a significant number, considering that means about 1 more gram of protein and carbs a day. Getting the additional figures will be a boon for any perfectionist such as myself.

#82 SnotFu, Aug 14, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  3. mwhalber

mwhalber Well-Known Member

I cannot seem to get the XLS to accept today's date....it keeps on saying that "The oldest date you can enter is 1/1/04"

Is is broke fur good??? ;)

I would love to use it!

Thanks,
    Mike

4. adi

adi Well-Known Member

I agree, the people need to be able to change it daily or weekly or monthly, thats why it doesnt belong on the setup page. the purpose of the program is to make entering data easy, threfore, from 1 page. once you key your data in the setup page, you should never have to go back there again. So on the monthly menu it goes. The only exception to this rule are the measurements entries...there is just no room for them on the monthly menu.

1. Realize, your bmr is not how much to consume, its how much you burn in a day if you do nothing. on the spreadsheet, its not the amount you are told to consume, it subtracts from that amount, defined as weight x 10 in this case.
    2. I would like to point out that 2120 and 2177 are pretty darn close...you'd theoretically lose a little more weight if you used the x10 method.
    Now those 2 things being said, I'm not picking on you, I need your help with double checking my work below. Or anyone else who would like to make any suggestions is welcome as well.

My spreadsheet tries to do just that...instead of making approximations, such as guessing at your activity level, the spreadsheet tries to give you extremely accurate calorie numbers.

On the spreadsheet, the line containing the bmr (the BURNED CALORIES line) also contains the calories burned by your daily cardio and weights routines. All of these items are added together to give you a total calories burned for the day. In the BMR field on this line, I enter the ACTUAL BMR not the modfied one....so when it adds together your BMR burned calories + your cardio + weights burned calories, you are getting a more precise number than just BMR x 1.55.

I think my thinking is sound...If anyone would care to chime in I would appreciate it.

I will be doing a final doublecheck and adding documentation on the setup page of v2.04 with ALL of the proposed suggestions and hopefully posting it within the next 24 hours.

5. adi

adi Well-Known Member

I just opened it an typed in 8/17/04 followed by the enter key and it worked perfectly. when you go to key the date there is a popup window explaining exactly how it must be keyed and why.

6. adi

adi Well-Known Member

v2.04

version 2.04 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

Version 2.04 Features:
    Enhancement 1: Added Marcus' enhanced BMR calculations for calculating the daily caloric intake goal. - suggestion by snotfu.
    This required a major redo of the spreadsheet layout on both the menu page and the monthly menu page. While the menu section WILL copy over from old versions of this program, the daily menus' probably WILL NOT copy over well. Sorry folks...a little pain for the sake of progress.
    Both the Weight or BMR method can be used. - suggestion by Rtestes

Enhancement 2: Added 2nd Cardio entry for those who do cardio splits. - suggestion by HobbesAB

Enhancement 3: Added Cardio duration. Now you can key explicit cardio (ie, HIIT for 12 minutes) or you can choose a cardio type and how many minutes performed. - suggestion by HobbesAB

Enhancement 4: Further cleaned the daily menu by removing the "Category" text in each of the menu items. The category items are now blank until you use the pulldown menu.

7. adi

adi Well-Known Member

v2.05

version 2.05 has been posted in the first post of this thread.
    Bugfix: Found a small problem with clearing the "category" text in each of the menu items (enhancement in 2.04.) Blanks apparently don't work in excel, so once you choose a food item, it can be changed, but never removed. I put the category text back for now, but did shorten it to "Cat"

8. empirikal

empirikal Well-Known Member

Hi adi -

I was attempting to use your Fitness log on Mac OSx using Microsoft Office 2004 and I get these errors:

"Compile Error: Sub or Function not Defined."
    Sub Auto_Open() is highlighted in yellow and
    It has "MonthName" on line 9 highlighted in blue.

9. adi

adi Well-Known Member

If you read this thread you can see that this currently does not work on a mac. If I ever find someone with a mac that I can code on I will attempt a fix. the versions of excel that it has been tested and works on are posted right above the link where you downloaded it.

10. adi

adi Well-Known Member

v2.06

version 2.06 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

Big Big changes!!!!

Version 2.06 Features:

1. Enhancement: Complete revamp of the Weights section. You can now enter 6 different lifts per day and the calories expended for each will be totalled and added to your daily calories burned.
    Now anyone doing any program can enter their daily lifts...much more flexible than in previous versions.

2. Enhancement: Added Import Data from Previous version. Many have asked...and it was a major pain, but you can now import your data from any previous version.
    I've tested it many times, but you never know...The code for the import is bigger than all of the other code put together, so there is always a chance that you'll find something I didn't.

3. Enhancement: Modified some of the sample data, input more of John Stone's actual data. As time permits, I plan to replace all data with John's real information from his first 5 months.

John, if I can add all of your 1st 5 months data into the spreadsheet, would you consider replacing your transformations.xls with this one? It would surely help get it into the hands of alot more people.

11. SnotFu

SnotFu Well-Known Member

Wow! Sounds like an awesome update Adi. I will try this out a.s.a.p. and let you know how it goes.

I really wish more people would try this. I have been promoting it as much as possible, and I still see people struggling with their menus. The main problem is this thread hasn't been stickied. Hopefully when this thread gets bumped, it's ranking will get everyone's attention.

Nice icon :D

12. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Great spreadsheet. It's really aiding me in my diet. I'm a numbers guy, and it's important to my success to have a strict system to operate within.

Suggestion for the next version: Add a quantity modifier to the daily menu screen. This way, you only have to add each type of food once in the menu sheet. Example: If I have a PB sandwich, I use 2 slices of bread and 2 tbsp PB. Right now, I either have to put "1 slice of bread" twice on the daily menu, or explicitly put "2 slices of bread" in the global menu. It would be great if instead the menu sheet looked like:

CATEGORY QUANTITY FOOD CALORIES ...

then I'd have:

Starch - 2 - 1 slice of bread ...
    Nuts - 2 - 1oz peanut butter ...

This would also be good for things like meats, where you never get exactly a 6oz chicken breast. You could do:

Meats - 6.5 - 1oz chicken breast

This would make the global menu less cluttered (less things to scroll through in the dropdown) and save slots on the daily menu.

13. jamester

jamester Well-Known Member

adi - first of all, bump for the spreadsheet - awesome work!

Next, I've recently moved to all-mac, and would be happy to do testing for you if need be... I'd love to see this spreadsheet compatible with Office 2004 on OS X.3... but I *do* fully understand the challenges of such a proposition and I do not expect you to go out of your way at all. Has the issue been you just haven't heard from folks if the more-mac-compatible version you posted had worked or not, or are you indeed hearing from them that it doesn't work? If it doesn't work, that's fine and I'll drop it so that it's not *completely* beat into the ground, but if it's a lack of response on a tester's part, I'd be happy to step in and let you know what does or does not work. :)

Thanks,
    James

14. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

15. adi

adi Well-Known Member

v2.07

version 2.07 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

Version 2.07 Features:

1. Enhancement: Extended tracking range from 6 months to 1 year.

i lost 30 pounds in 4 months and then my weight loss has completely plateaued for the past 2 months. So suffice it to say a 6 month spreadsheet will not be enough. I guess I just dont have John's willpower. Hopefully the next 6 months will be enough to get the remaining 30 pounds off....we'll see.

Wow, this thread has been viewed over 4000 times (thats more than some of the sticky pages) and the 2.06 version that I just updated to 2.07 had been downloaded 230+ times. thats great!!! I hope many people find this spreadsheet helpful.

16. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

A good one made better, thanks for your efforts and sharing them.

17. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

Excellent spreadsheet! :) :tu:

It's working fine in Excel 2000. I have Office 97 at home, so I'll give that a test run when I get back there tonight.

-Maggie

18. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Since it isn't a sticky, this topic needs to be bumped for newbies.

19. notslate

notslate Well-Known Member

thanks rtestes...

i do a lot of searches on these pages so I don't ask the same question that has already been answered a bunch of times, but it's posts like this that are hard to find...but very useful.

20. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, this is the first time I've come across this thread. I dont know how I missed it :p I think I need to browse the boards more throughly in the future. I'm glad it was made a sticky.

Outstanding work Adi, It sure makes things a lot easier. I'm gonna link to this in my nutrition sticky and the links sticky.

Cheers :tu:

Marcus