1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness Log (A spreadsheet to track your progress)

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by adi, Jun 25, 2004.

1. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Version 2.01

Version 2.01 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

New Feature in 2.01:
    You no longer have to start your program on a Monday. The start date can now be any day and the program will modify all of the weight loss data accordingly.

To date, I have implemented every suggestion made, and even added several of my own ideas that popped up along the way. (I am, of course, always open to further enhancement requests and will fix any bugs found.)

#61 adi, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  2. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

adi,

wow! great job on the spreadsheet. I forgot to check out earlier versions due to other commitments and blah blah blah. In short: Life gets in the way sometimes and clutters up the mind. As I said before, thanks for working on this. You and Marco have provided some great tools for everyone to use.

3. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Hobbes,
    You stink...what happened to your suggested layout for a workout page....I thought you might have over-fitnessed yourself and keeled over.
    You were the first one to make the exercise suggestion, so try out the exercise menu page for a couple days and see if you can come up with any improvements.
    It really only works for those on a consistent workout routine. It cant cope with people changing things around all the time like max-ot. I'd like to figure out a way to do that. The cardio part should work for everyone, but the weights portion is too strict.

4. HobbesAB

lol. Sorry adi. :o I took my wife on a surprise get-away and I got caught up in the planning, the actual trip, etc. When I got back, I just forgot as I was swamped with work and family issues.

I'll give it a go :tu:

5. adi

adi Well-Known Member

v2.02

Version 2.02 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

Version 2.02 Features:
    Enhancements to the measurements section.
    For those who take weekly measurements, the weight loss data page now contains:
    1. a place for all measurements for a 6 month period.
    2. the ability to choose from a pulldown the day of the week that you prefer to take your measurements and all dates will be filled in accordingly.
    3. a link to Health Central's online body fat calculator where you can input your measurements to get your bfp.

The longer I use my own program, the more features and tweaks that present themselves. (I am, of course, always open to further enhancement requests and bugs fixes.)

#65 adi, Jul 16, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  6. HobbesAB

bump

7. adi

adi Well-Known Member

v2.03

Version 2.03 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

Version 2.03 Features:
    For those who take measurements and record body fat percentage, the weight loss data page now contains More Enhancements to the measurements section:

In addition to the v2.02 enhancements:
    1. a place for all measurements for a 6 month period.
    2. the ability to choose from a pulldown the day of the week that you prefer to take your measurements and all dates will be filled in accordingly.
    3. a link to Health Central's online body fat calculator where you can input your measurements to get your bfp.

v2.03 enhancements:
    4. When you key your body fat %age on any given day, it is recorded on the Weight Loss DATA page.
    - On days you dont key your bfp, the bfp on the wld page would get set to 0. Now it stays the same until you key a new bfp.
    - This makes for more consitent data on the wld page.

All in all, this update is just some nice sprucing up for those who track body fat. So get yourself some myotape and track away.

#67 adi, Aug 7, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  8. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

A Mac version please.

I'd love to get this spreadsheet to work on my mac. I'm using the Microsoft Office X version of Excel. I read through the previous posts and saw your comment that a mac version would be "out of your league". Are there possible solutions? -Pablo

9. adi

adi Well-Known Member

All of the errors given to me by the last person seemed to be related directly to the vba scripts running...I did recompile to try to fix the mac issues but that person never responded whether things worked or not.

I'll try recompiling again and post a "possible mac compatible version" in the first post of this thread. Just do me a favor and let me know if it works or not.

In addition, if you can find anything on the web regarding vba programming on the mac, that might help me...I could find no mac vba programming references so I dont know where to begin to try to fix things.

10. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know if it works or not. -Pablo

11. adi

adi Well-Known Member

special macintosh test for pablo

Ok, here it is pablo, i posted it here instead of the 1st post in the hopes less people will see and download it since its just a test version.
    I dont have a lot of hope, but let me know how it goes.

Update: Pablo, I have removed the mac test version and am awaiting your feedback.

#71 adi, Aug 9, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  12. SnotFu

SnotFu Well-Known Member

Adi, this file is the best thing to happen to my hope for a better body! Without a daily process to keep track of my day, with such ease, I would probably be lost and given up by now.

I notice on the "Setup Page", it says you should start logging on a Monday. I started on a Thursday. Shall I expect problems?

Also, I vote for this thread to be sticky.

13. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Thanks for All the kind words. Its nice to be appreciated...especially when I worked so hard for so long doing this.
    Prior to this spreadsheet, I had only programmed in vb once before, and never written an excel formula, so you can imagine how long it took. My guess is somewhere along the line of 300 hours to create this.
    I, like you, knew I couldnt keep up with my program without something like this. All the other spreadsheets like this took me too much time with all the cutting and pasting. I spent the first month of my program writing this more than dieting and exercising, so my first month did not yield any real results. But using this spreadsheet diligently for the last 2 months, I have been able to lose 18 lbs so far. I've gone from a size 40 to a 36, and I'm hoping to see 34 by the end of this month, and if I can do you you can too.

I hope someone will make this a sticky too, i think it will help lots of people, but thats for the forum gods to decide and not me, but thanks for the vote!

To answer your question:
    Wat version are you running??? I fixed the start on monday issue (by adding copious amounts of excel formulation to figure out the days of the week) several versions back, so if you are using 2.03 you should be fine. I looked at the setup page and did not find any reference to monday on version 2.03 (i removed the "you must start on monday" statement at the same time that I added the extra code.)

If you are using an older version, you can still start on thursday, but the dates will not match the days of the week on the weight loss data page. its not a big deal but I would find it extremely annoying....so I definitely recommend moving up the the newest version.

Again, thanks for the kind words and Good Luck in your quest. This is a great site for motivation and inspiration. I look at john's monthly photos (for months 1-6 of his program) every day just to keep me motivated. I have patterned my diet and exercise program after the suggestions he gives in his FAQ section, and things are working great for me.

14. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

No question, real sticky material.

15. SnotFu

SnotFu Well-Known Member

V. 1.08, yikes! Now how do I update the new file with my old file's data (the daily menus of August and July)? Do I have to re-enter the times of my meals, etc.?

So far, I can move the months from my old database, by dragging and dropping. The weight loss data page and weight loss chart have no info. Do I need to do this all manually? :d_frown:

#75 SnotFu, Aug 10, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  16. adi

adi Well-Known Member

the daily menu's you'll lose...you can cut and paste entire pages, like cut august from the old one and paste into the new one..but the food fat/carb/etc values get screwed up, so easier to just scrap the old days, or just hang on to the old spreadsheet...all the other stuff can be copied over...you just fill out the 5 items on the setup page again, and as for the menu and the weight loss data page, there are instructions on the setup page and in some of the old posts in this thread. I always use the latest version for my own stuff too, and it takes me less than 10 minutes to transfer the data over. You dont even need all of it, just the menu, the weight loss history (columns B and C on the weight loss data sheet) and your measurements...everything else will get auto populated the next time you key in your morning weight. just read the setup page.

sorry for the inconvenience, if I ever come up with a way to bring over the old menu's, I will add it as a new version, but for now, I'm stumped.

17. SnotFu

SnotFu Well-Known Member

Adi, everything is working great except the new Exercise Menu. I understand it's still a work in progress, and you haven't seen any suggestions on it, yet. So here goes:

I'm running outta room in the Cardio section. Every day my jogging times and BPM changes, it seems. The amount of calories burned changes daily. The menu only allows 15 inputs.

Also, sadly, caloriesperhour.com only estimates how many calories you burn based on time, not the specific workout you had. I'm doing continous research on exactly how many calories I burn during a normal day, in an effort to get to the minutia of how many calories I should have a day. Anyone have any links on where we could find more accurate information?

I noticed the BMR calculation doesn't include marcus' additional math:

Which you then subtract the amount of pounds you intend to lose a week (for ex. 2 pounds a week, means you subtract 1000 from this number).

Shouldn't this be added on top of the BMR?

Minor improvement: We should have to enter our birthday. When we age a year, the BMR equation changes. Shouldn't this be an automatic process?

#77 SnotFu, Aug 12, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  18. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Alright thats 2 votes for cardio enhancement. Hobbes sent sent me a similar private request a few weeks ago and he had worked up the cardio changes in xls file he sent me...
    Ok, I will modify the cardio section. hobbes' suggestions for cardio included yours snotfu and then some...so I will do them all.

Point made...will do that as well.

As for the other stuff...I will look at all of it...its a little complicated so give me a some time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to have the 2 changes above in the 2.04 version in a few days.

19. SnotFu

SnotFu Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thank YOU.

20. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Ok, so this is done, but I couldnt decide where the activity level options belong.
    1. Do the options belong on the set page where you set them once,
    2. Or do they belong on the monthly menu where you set each time you create a new month or even change them every day when you key your weight, if a person so desires.
    I think option 2 makes the most sense and is the most flexible, but other opinions are always helpful

Also, is the marcus stuff accurate? I had never seen it before, and I'm not knocking another man's research, but are there many people that follow this method? john's original spreadsheet did not, marco's later enhancement to that did not...should we???

Ok, so this one I really need to discuss more...using this approach now makes that new bmr a replacement for the daily caloric goal that you get by mulitplying your weight by 10-12 does it not?

And in that case is it not an issue of semantics as to which caloric goal numbers one wants to use? I dont know that I want to replace the method in place for this one...nor do I know if it is wise to have a caloric goal on the daily menu, and a different daily caloric goal on the wld page.

What do you think???