1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness Log (A spreadsheet to track your progress)

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by adi, Jun 25, 2004.

1. misle

misle Well-Known Member

Great idea, but I've run into a problem.

First, I'm using Office 2004 for Macintosh.
    When I first open the spreadsheet, I get an error:
    "Compile error:
    Sub or Function not defined"

If launches Excel's VB editor and has "Sub Auto_Open()" highligted in yellow (on line 1) and "MonthName" highlighted in blue (on line 3).

I'll see if I find anything else.

When I press the "Reset Spreadsheet" button, I get the same error again, this time "Sub Reset_Everything()" is highlighted. Looks like it is on line 12.

2. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Wow, I've fixed all the rest, but eventually even my luck runs out. I appreciate your detailed error messages and descriptions but you are running on a MAC. Macs run unix and I have no clue how vba (which is what the macro's are written in) works on a MAC. I did some research online and spoke to a couple programmers at work, and can find nothing to even point me in the right direction. My guess is the macros need to be rewritten specifically to run on a mac, but thats out of my league.

I did try one thing...the error is a compile error, and there is a compile option in the vb editor....so I ran it and uploaded a version 1.08.
    I dont really think it will fix it but please give it a try and let us know.

Good Luck!

#42 adi, Jun 30, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  3. misle

misle Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't visited in a while. I work on Macs at work, but use a PC at home. I'll just use it on my PC.

But I'll give the new version a spin at work on Tuesday and let you know how (or if) it works.

Take care and have a good Fourth!

4. vbfrost

vbfrost Well-Known Member

Hey Adi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to add rows for what you eat at any given time. For instance; let's say at 11:30am I have an apple, banana, and a turkey sandwich, and maybe a protein shake or something. That leaves me with 4 food items I ate and only 2 rows to enter my data.

I'm finding that once in a while I'll run into a little bit of a bind because I've eaten more items than what I'm allowed to enter. Maybe keep 2 rows for breakfast, and 4 for the rest? I'm not sure if it'd work out, just throwin it out there.

Thanks

5. vbfrost

Also, on your newest update I may have found a minor bug.

When you reset the spreadsheet for a new user the dates where you manually put your measurements in at are messed up. I'm not sure if you intended for us to change them manually as well or not so I figure I'd mention it.

The date it starts with is Jan, 1900.

6. adi

adi Well-Known Member

The times on the left are totally arbitrary, you can change them to be anything you want. They are simply the times I eat every day. To change the master, so that they prepopulate everyday, just modify the master menu at the bottom of menu page. the ability to do this is documented on the advanced menu config instructions on the setup page along with the ability to prepopulate some of your meals as well.

7. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Hmm...Are you talking about the start date that you enter on the setup page? I just downloaded 1.08 from the site and tried it and it seems okay to me.
    1. is it version 1.08 you are using?
    2. when you reset the spreadsheet the 5 fields on the setup page should go blank, is that happening?
    3. then when you key the start date you get a yellow popup message indicating specifially how you must key the date with an explanation about excel's quirkiness. do you get that?

the 1900 is the date excel defaults to if you key what excel considers an invalid date...but I fixed it a couple versions ago...it wont allow you to enter a date that old if you tried. If what I tested is not the problem, please let me know...be as specific as possible and I will strive to fix it.

Thanks,
    Adi

#47 adi, Jul 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  8. vbfrost

About my first problem.

What I mean is, let's say at 9:30 I want to eat more than 2 foods. There's only to rows that I can enter my food information into. So if I eat three things, I have no where to put my third item.

It doesnt look like I can change that on the menu page, I tried but maybe I'm missing something.

9. vbfrost

In other words, I dont want to change the times that I eat, just how much data/foods I can enter for each time.

10. adi

adi Well-Known Member

There are a total of 15 lines for food for each day...the times column can be customized any way you want. if you need more spaces at 9:30, move the 11:30 and all the rest of them down a couple lines.

You can customize column A any way you want....in ANY combination. The time entries are arbitrary. You can put times in the blanks and blank out the ones that currently have times. You can make 9:30 3 lines or 4 or 5 or whatever you want. The only limit is that you have -15 lines total for each day.

Do you need more than 15 lines for a given day? Thats not a problem either...once you create a menu for today you can add as many lines as you want. the instructions are explained step by step on the setup page....
    -in the how to use the monthly menu section.
    -in the diet subheading
    -look for the text that says "If you need to add more lines for food items:"

I hope that helps.

#50 adi, Jul 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  11. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Version 2.0

Well, its been a fun run for the past 2 weeks. I see that my little program has been downloaded 100 times and this thread has been viewed over 1000 times. Makes me feel good that people are finding my program helpful.

Given the popularity, I have release version 2.0 on the 1st post in this thread. Its 2.0 because of 1 major change: you can now track your workouts using the menus just like you track your meals.
    New features include:
    1. I cleaned up the daily menu by removing the "Choose Food Item" text in each of the menu items. I found it to clutter the menu and make it harder to read. the food items are now blank until you use the pull down menu.
    2. Yep, as stated above, due to popular request I have added and "Exercise Menu" similar to the food "Menu"
    You can now automatically track you workouts and calories burned along with your food.
    Now, word of warning, the workout menu I devised will not be for everyone.
    • If you, like me, work out on a fixed schedule (example: Tuesday: chest, delts, triceps. Thursday: back, biceps) then this should work well.
    • If you work out on a varying schedule like Max-OT where each week has a different routine, this probably wont work....thats ok, the workout stuff is totally optional and you can still use the food menu just like before.
    • You Max-Ot'ers out there are welcomed to make suggestions on how to accomodate for that type of workout.
    I hope everyone finds this new version useful.
    Upcoming modifications:
    Marco of Marcofitness contacted me and said that he keys his menu the night before. The current program of course assumes that you key your weight the morning of each day, not the night before. I am trying to figure out a way to grant marco's enhancement request.

#51 adi, Jul 12, 2004
  12. FatBurner

FatBurner Well-Known Member

This looks great! Unfornately it doesn't work for me!

I get a lot of Macro errors! I tried to turn the macro security on low, but it says "The Macro 'Fitness Log.xls'!New_Month' cannot be found"

Any help would be great!!

13. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Weird...I just checked the the zip file, opened the spreadsheet and clicked new month and it works fine. I checked all of the macro's and they are all there including new_month.

So far, I have been able to fix every problem anyone has ever posted except for the macintosh user....so here goes:
    1.What version of excel are you running?
    2. Have you ever tried any of the older versions or is this the first time you are seeing my spreadsheet?

#53 adi, Jul 12, 2004
  14. FatBurner

This is the first time seeing the spreadsheet. I'm using Excel 2002...

15. FatBurner

Also, when I start excel I get this:

Microsoft Excel File Repair Log

Errors were detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Desktop\Fitness Log.xls'
    The following is a list of repairs:

Lost Visual Basic project.
    Lost ActiveX controls.

16. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Fatburner, I just downloaded the zip at a coworkers machine...he is running excel 2000...everything worked fine...all buttons worked.

As you can see on the 1st post, this has never been tested under excel 2002 (xp); however, since it does work under excel 2000 and 2003, I think it should work fine under 2002.

1. My guess is that the xls inside the zip file you have is corrupted in some way.
    2. Maybe try downloading it again?
    3. Also try dl'ing it from another machine and running it there...maybe you have a hard drive problem? (i hope not, but it could be a possibility)
    4. The errors you list indicate that something is seriously wrong, not an excel 2002 incompatibility. But since I can download it on a 2003 machine and a 2000 machine with no errors, I must assume the proble lies on your machine.

Please try my suggestions and let us know.

ps, is anyone else out there able to open it in excel 2002?

#56 adi, Jul 12, 2004
  17. makstaks

makstaks Well-Known Member

Adi, this is marco. Just wanted to say thank you, you have been extremely helpful. I am using your 1.8version of the spreadsheet.

I've found a few ways to get it to do what i want with the exception of being able to plan my meals one day in advance...no biggie, but if you do find a way that would cool.
    I don't know what happened, but for some reason when i edited your sheet it is also putting my BMR in the area where protein grams remaining should be. This occurs when i press the "create todays menu" button. Can't seem to fix that even though it looks like i did everything right on the menu page. I put the spreadsheet here on my site...
    http://www.pfg-marco.com/tools.html

Once again, thank you very much.

#57 makstaks, Jul 12, 2004
  18. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Marco, I figured out how to do your request. I was hoping to incorporate your changes into my spreadsheet so that it could do both. Sadly there was no clean way. So I created a custom sheet for you. Its not the way I wanted to go, but as I told you in our earlier emails, without your and John's inspiration I would not have done this, so I will strive to fulfill any request you make.

Man you changed alot of stuff, or should I say you changed alot of it back...oh well, whatever works for you my friend.
    The create today's menu button has been removed.
    It has been replaced by 2 buttons,
    1. create tomorrows menu
    click button 1 the night before and it will populate a blank menu with tomorrow's date. No fat, carbs, prot, bmr, etc...

2. enter today's weight.
    the next morning, enter your weight and click the button 2. this will fill in the weight loss data page, and all of the stuff on the menu you created the night before.

I also fixed your bmr problem.

I have no problem with you taking my sheet and making it your own. I also have no problem with you publishing it on your site as well. (thanks for giving me credit on your site, btw, but it was not necessary.)

I ask only 2 favors:
    1. My request is that to avoid confusion, please modify the top of the setup page so that people don't get confused between yours and mine.
    2. Always rename the file. You've already done that which is a good thing.

I just dont want people asking for enhancements or error fixes and have it turn out not to be my sheet. Keeping up with fixes/enhancements for 1 sheet is more work than you can imagine.

I unlocked the setup page on your copy and will send it to you in an email. I'm glad you like my program...I hope in time you find it easier to use than what you had before.

ps. anyone wanting to use marcos sheet, please visit his site.

#58 adi, Jul 12, 2004
  19. FatBurner

It worked! I tried re-downloading it again! Thanks for troubleshootin! :D

20. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Do me a favor...use it for a couple days...if everything works, please let us know, that way I can add excel 2002(xp) to the list of supported versions.