1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness Log (A spreadsheet to track your progress)

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by adi, Jun 25, 2004.

1. adi

adi Well-Known Member

- I reset the spreadsheet for a new user.
    good
    - I entered the info on the setup page correct.
    good
    - I entered my weight and bf% in the weight loss data sheet.
    no weight or bf data is entered on the wld sheet...you enter it on the jun '04 sheet every morning and the wld sheet is automatically populated.
    - I chose my meal at the bottom of the Menu Sheet.
    this is only done if you plan to pre-populate your daily menu with stuff you eat every day, otherwise dont touch anything here...this is the master daily menu and is used as the source for each day's menu. The meals you eat each day are also recorded on the jun '04 page..this page is of course blank for you, so there is no way you could figure that out.
    - Now, when I click create new month on the bottom of the menu sheet, it creates a blank spread called Jun '04. But nothing is in that sheet, its completely blank and unlike your sample month.
    Now this could our 1 true problem...although the instructions do say to click the create new month button on the setup page...the one on the menu page should still work...this may actually be an excel macro issue in version 2000...I dont have 2000 to test with, it was tested by one of the users here, listed in a previous post above...maybe he didnt try that button. althought all that button does is create a new page, which is happening, and copy master daily goals section from the menu page...all basic stuff that should really work in older excel versions.
    - Also, when I click create today's menu on the bottom of the menu sheet after i pick my meals it gives me this error: 'Whoops! You cannot create a new daily menu from this page.
    That is a feature. Daily menu's are to be created on the current month page (in this case june '04) but of course if that page is blank for you, then that is the real problem I need to figure out.

I any case, try this for me.
    1. download the new version 1.05
    2. Open a new version of the spreadsheet, not the one you already made.
    3. goto the sample month page.
    4. click "create new monthly menu"
    5. it should create a new page called jun '04 and the first 12 lines should match the sample month page.

did this happen, or is it blank?

In the meantime, I will lock out both buttons on the menu page and all of the weight and bf% fields on the data page, to avoid others having the same confusion. I am uploading this to the first post as v1.05

Thanks for your feedback.

2. vbfrost

vbfrost Well-Known Member

Alright thank you. I'll give this a try right now

3. vbfrost

Well, I downloaded your updated version. I ran it and got the same thing.

I left the sample month there like you asked and clicked create new month right off of the sample month and it brought me yet another blank page.

4. vbfrost

Also, just to let you know. The 'Create New Monthly Menu' button on the setup page produces the same results. A blank page for Jun '04.

5. adi

adi Well-Known Member

darn, I was afraid of that...so much for testing.
    It looks like the copy functions I'm using are not compatible with excel 2000. I'm sorry. I will remove the 2000 compatibility statement from the 1st post.

I will test it out and try to fix it if I can get my hands on a copy of excel 2000.

Thanks for trying my suggestions. My guess is that if that doesnt work, then the create daily menu button, which is far more complicated than the create new month will also fail royally. Sorry again.

6. vbfrost

alright :( I guess I'll have to find someone who can lend me a copy of 2003 then because this spreadsheet is worth it. dang this sucks.

thanks again for the help

7. vbfrost

I'm curious. Where did you get all the nutrition information for your menu? There's so many different sources and a lot of them say different things about the same fruit.

8. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Lets see, I had several spreadsheets to start with and I used the foods I eat from both, deleted what I dont eat, and added more from box labels, so:
    Some of the menu is from john's original transformations.xls
    some is from marcos marcofitness.xls
    and a majority of the vegetarian meat stuff is from box tops in my freezer.
    The fruits however, I agree, are tough, but eventually I just gave up worrying about the discrepancies and just said, what the heck, close enough. the two sites I used are:
    http://www.calorieking.com/
    http://www.weightlossfriends.com/index.php/food/groups/0900

And thank you for the compliment in the above post. I appreciate it very much. I hope a lot of people use it, it will make me feel like I've really contributed to the cause.

#28 adi, Jun 28, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  9. jamester

jamester Well-Known Member

WOW Adi... thank you.

Today was chosen as the day I go back On Program - I've been letting things go for a good long while now and I'm seeing the negative results of that path. I chose today to get back, and then I came here and found this fantastic spreadsheet. Thank you so much for your time and effort - and thanks also to everybody helping to test this sheet and make it the best it can be.

Thank you all, really, from the bottom of my heart.

James

10. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Wow James, thanks a lot...really makes me feel good.

11. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Version 1.6 posted in 1st post of this thread.

Excel 2000 compatibility fixed and tested.
    Thanks again for all of the kind words.

12. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

adi,

the spreadsheet is awesome. I have another suggestion for you if you're interested in trying it. How about adding a couple more pages for training that are similar to the menu/monthly pages? Or a new spreadsheet dedicated to training?

1. One page will be like the menu in which there are different categories but these categories would be muscle groups. Under each group one would list all the different exercises he/she would want.
    2. The user would hit the "Create" button and a general workout log would be generated. The user would then use the drop-down buttons and select the muscle and exercises that was trained that day.
    3. Time, Category, Description, Set, Reps, Weight, Failure (Y/N), Difficulty(1-10) could be some of the columns that would replace the current categories. In place of calories it would be set, fat would be replaced with reps, etc.

Just a few thoughts. Your work has been awesome. I prefer to use Excel to track food and workouts and your spreadsheet has made it much more convenient to do this. Thanks again.

13. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Funny Enough, I had been thinking about that issue:
    The daily menu, based on Marco's stuff, does have a place for you to put that day's weights and cario routines, and even the calories burned for each one.

Currently that piece is all manual of course, I left it there because it can be very useful, especially if you want to go back in time to a specific day and see what you did.

Thoughts on this:
    I would lik to make 1 integrated spreadsheet with both weights and food on the same daily menu . I think about using it myself and dont think I would if it were 2 separate sheets.

I dont think the current configuration of the sheet will work because there is only room for 1 pulldown for weights and 1 for cardio, which means:
    You would have to group your stuff by day, ie, (legs, back on one day) (chest, tri, delts on another) and have 1 grand total for calories burned. This doesnt really fit the the max-ot process of changing things around all the time.
    So I'm guessing the menu itself would need a bit of a retrofit.
    If anyone wants to simply cut/paste 1 daily menu onto a blank spreadsheet and play around with layout suggestions (no formulas, just layout') I would be happy to look at them and try to put something together. I've played around but cant figure a menu that is not huge!!!

however, all of the suggestions here so far have been great and I believe I have implemented every last one...so I'm obviously willing if someone helps me come up a useable integrated menu, or at least gives me something to get me in the right direction.

14. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree that it would be better in one spreadsheet - I just didn't want to seem too pushy ;)

Your responses to the posts have been great. I'll play around with the menu layout tonight and see if I can actually help with the work instead of suggesting more work for you :)

15. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Dont mind doing the work, just need someone more creative to suggest a layout. I tried for hours but eventually gave up out of frustration...

Similar to the whole sodium thing, sometimes other people can kick-start and idea and get you going again.

16. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

First, I was premature on my call on the 2000 compatiability, I am sorry. I jumped over to XP version and missed the problems.

Is the measurements area of weight loss data page locked out, how do we enter?

The one spreadsheet would be the best means. Thanks for your work.

17. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Your weight is entered every morning on the monthly menu page. and then you press the create today's menu button. the wld page gets automatically populated.
    in the instructions on the setup page see step 5, how to use the monthly menu page for all the details.

note: if you are importing your weight from an older spreadsheet, just unlock that page..there is no password, and it will relock the next morning when you click the create today's menu button.

18. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I am referring to chest, arm, and etc measurements, How do you enter those?

19. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Oh I'm sorry...didnt realize what you meant. There was no clean way I could think of to automate the measurements, so they are of course entered manually if so chosen.

I just checked the v1.07 spreadsheet and all of the measurement cells in WHITE are unlocked except for the SAMPLE column. the samples are locked. field i21 for example, should allow you to key in measurements. let me know if yours doesnt.

1. do you think I should unlock the samples column?
    2. do you think the sample column is necessary? I could have it get cleared along with the others when you click "reset everything"

20. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Works fine, now. Don't know why I couldn't enter after clearing. Sample will be all right, as is. Thanks again. :claplow: