1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness Log (A spreadsheet to track your progress)

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by adi, Jun 25, 2004.

1. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Adi's Fitness Log (A spreadsheet to track your progress)

Here is an automated spreadsheet to track your fitness progress.
    1. All daily progress is keyed on a single page, no more jumping back and forth.
    2. You type in your weight in the morning, click 1 button, and a new daily menu is created, dated, and all of your caloric/fat/carb/protien goals for the day are filled in automatically!
    3. All of your foods are available in pull down menus.
    4. Exercise tracking is also available via pull down menus.
    5. No more cut-n-paste. Keeping track of everything now literaly takes a few seconds each day.
    Here is a sample screenshot:
    [​IMG]

I want to thank the JohnStoneFitness community for being such a positive and helpful place to get information and motiviation and especially to John for keeping this site going. John, you are a great inspiration to us all...Thank you.

The spreadsheet contains macros and has been tested and confirmed to work under:
    -----Windows:
    Excel 2003
    Excel 2000
    -----Linux:
    Gnumeric

It has been confirmed NOT to work under:
    -----Linux:
    Open Office
    -----Mac:
    MacOffice 2004 on MacOS 10.x

If it successfully works or doesn't in any other spreadsheets or other version of excel, please let me know.

Attached Files:

#1 adi, Jun 25, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  2. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

I have Office XP on my laptop. I'll give it a whirl and let you know if I find any bugs but so far, its been fine. Excellent work! Thanks for sharing this.

3. Walcwlr

Walcwlr Well-Known Member

Wow!

Seems to be working. I got a few errors trying to create a menu, but just filled in some fields on the Weight Loss Data page and then was able to continue. Looks like it'll be very easy to maintain. I just have to fill in my menu data.

Thanks!

Mike

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Works on excel 2000 and excel XP. looks good , thank you.

5. adi

adi Well-Known Member

I would like to make it work for as many people as possible with no errors:
    What version of excel?
    which button, create new month or new daily menu?
    what errors did you get?
    what fields did you have to fill in on weight loss data?
    And did you fill in the 5 fields on the setup page?

6. HobbesAB

I really like the spreadsheet. One suggestion: How about adding a column or 2 after Protein for users to track whatever they choose? If the user doesn't want to track anything else, then the columns aren't copied over. If the user wants to track something like Na, then the user puts it in the customizable cloumn and it is copied over when you create your Daily menu.

7. Walcwlr

What version of excel? Excel 2003

which button, create new month or new daily menu? Create new month says June already created. I deleted that page and was able to recreate a new blank June, but only after I created a daily menu.

what errors did you get? Something about Error 91. Sorry, I didn't really read it. It asked if I wanted to debug.

what fields did you have to fill in on weight loss data? I had to fill in a weight and BF for the current date.

And did you fill in the 5 fields on the setup page? Yes I did.

I think my errors might be user created. I might be doing thing out of order. I did follow your steps on the setup page. When I reset the spreadsheet though, is still there. Might be what is causing some problems. I had to manually delete the June page to get a fresh menu.

Hope that helps..

Mike

8. Walcwlr

Suggestion...

Adi,

Is it possible to make an option of coping an entire days menu? If people are like me, we tend to eat the same things over and over.

Maybe the option "Copy Day" Then select which day to copy from... I'm not a programer, so I don't know how difficult or easy this request would be.

Thanks for sharing your speadsheet!

Mike

9. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Mike, I managed to duplicate the stuff you did. you found 3 bugs...thanks.

1. When you hit the wipe everything button it only deletes the sample month sheet. I also make it delete the current month.

2. When you entered the start date on the setup page it is not taking the proper date...excel is touchy...if you didnt enter exactly as 6/28/04 then excel screws it up and fills the dates in the weight loss data page with 1900's crap. I'll see if I can force cell validation better...if not I might have to put it in big red letters in the setup page.

3. since the dates arent current. when you enter a date on the jun '04 page, it scans the dates on the weight loss data page, cant find a match, and fails with error 91. I will fix that with a better error message related to bug number 2.

Darn, it fell flat on its face in the first 10 minutes...oh well...thats life.

Thanks very much!!!

10. Walcwlr

NOT EVEN! Please re-upload the new sheet when you have it. I plan on entering my menu this weekend and to start using it instead of Fitday on Monday.

Thanks again!

Mike

11. adi

adi Well-Known Member

New Version posted in the 1st post of this thread.

Bugfix 1. it now really screams at you if you dont key the start date right.

Bugfix 2. reset everything clears the current month as well (it does not however clear any other months if they should happen to exist. ie, jan '04, feb '04, and so on would be left alone to be deleted manually if so desired. That way, if you need to use it for more than 6 months...you can run reset on the 1st day of the 7th month, and still have all of your old months to have a history of your foods, weight, exercises, etc.

Enhancement 1. You are right about the being able to choose your foods ahead of time. I also eat many of the same things every day too.
    I can't figure out a way to make a "copy day" funtion, I'm not a programmer either. However, way down at the bottom of the menu page you will find the master daily menu. there you can pre-setup the master with times and foods. from then on any time you click create today's menu it will be prepopulated. Its not as good as copy "any day" to "any other day", but its close.

Thanks again for the the feedback.

And not to worry, as fixes come out...you can always:
    1. copy/paste the whole menu C4:I399 from the old one to the new one.
    2. same with the weight and body fat numbers (wl data, B2:C188)

#11 adi, Jun 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  12. Walcwlr

Great! I'll play with it this weekend.

Thanks again. Great job!

Mike

13. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Thank you rtestes!

Thank you so much for testing...I was worried about the macros not working for everyone. Your time is much appreciated.

14. adi

adi Well-Known Member

v1.03

v1.03 added to the 1st post in this thread.

1. The 1 outstanding bug, error 91, when keying a date not in the date list has been fixed. Instead of crashing to the debugger you will now be prompted with a nice message explaining how to key the start date.

If anyone finds any more issues, please let me know.

15. adi

adi Well-Known Member

Please explain more

Hmmm:
    The copying it if it exists and not if its blank may be out of my capabilities. But I can add 2 columns that will just always copy whether blank or not.

Questions:
    1. A Column or 2 to key whatever one wants. You mean related to each food item?
    -So a couple extra colums on the menu page as well?
    -Like sodium or other characteristics of the food?
    -or just 2 columns not related to the food at all that just go at the end after protien?
    -would these columns have calculation at the bottom of each day, like protien and calories, or just informational?

2. You said "something like Na," whats Na?

Comments:
    I worked hard to make sure I at least kept the data john and marco had, and to make sure it fit on a 1024x768 without having to scroll . I'm willing to make the change if it is useful, but I cant figure out the usefullness. Thats not to say I cant just make you a custom one with 2 extra columns.

16. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

Na is the symbol for sodium.

17. HobbesAB

Yes, I was thinking of a couple extra columns related to each food item so that would also mean a couple of extra columns on the menu page. These columns would have calculations at the end of each day (just totals).[/quote]

Na is Sodium

I appreciate the effort to keep it at 1024X768. These 2 extra columns would make it "bigger" but just decreasing the Zoom would enable the user to keep it all on a single page. Some may find it useful, others may not.

Personally, I would like to be able to track Na content so a single column would do. I wouldn't mind a custom made spreadsheet if its not too much of a hassle. I like the enhancments you've made so far. Keep up the good work. :tucool:

18. adi

adi Well-Known Member

You have a point...many people probably are probably concerned with Salt.

I had an idea. how about I make the SAT FAT, FIBER, and SUGARS columns customizeable. They are just informational, much like the Sodium that you wanted, and not used for bmr calcs like FAT/CARB/PROT so they dont server any purpose in calculations anyway. You can change the description to anything you like and it will carry over into the daily menu with totals at the bottom.

I have posted it in the first post as v1.04.
    Let me know if you still prefer more columns.

#18 adi, Jun 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  19. HobbesAB

I'll check it out later tonight. I was thinking earlier that I could modify it and change Sugar to Na. Thanks for making those columns customizable. This should do it. I'll let you know.

20. vbfrost

vbfrost Well-Known Member

I'm using Excel 2000 and I'm running into some problems.

- I reset the spreadsheet for a new user.
    - I entered the info on the setup page correct.
    - I entered my weight and bf% in the weight loss data sheet.
    - I chose my meal at the bottom of the Menu Sheet.
    - Now, when I click create new month on the bottom of the menu sheet, it creates a blank spread called Jun '04. But nothing is in that sheet, its completely blank and unlike your sample month.
    - Also, when I click create today's menu on the bottom of the menu sheet after i pick my meals it gives me this error:

'Whoops! You cannot create a new daily menu from this page.'