1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gravityhomer, Dec 29, 2017.

1. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I need to document some fitness again. I'm too heavy. I have high blood pressure for the first time in my life. Lots of good reasons why. But plenty of people have all the same reasons and don't have such inconsistent results. I'm going to start documenting in the new year. Put down some numbers.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'll be following.

gravityhomer likes this.
  3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Welcome back.

gravityhomer likes this.
  4. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Rough plan

Wake up:
    non gym days, 7 am,
    gym days, 6 am

This should give me time for romwod first thing, and breakfast after.

Trigger foods that are banned
    chocolate
    candy in any form, anything someone would call candy
    Potato chips
    French fries
    Pizza in any form
    Nachos/tortilla chips
    Any classic grease bomb fast food type sandwich, ham/cheese burger, cheese steak, basically anything from a short order grill, or found on your standard bar menu
    Fried bacon and egg sandwiches (giving this a special shout out, the ingredients on their own seem so innocent, but ordered from your basic deli and they are grease bombs)
    ice cream, milkshakes
    cake, pastry, in any form.
    Bagels, buttery breads, soft pretzels, Italian/French bread, need to just stay away from bakeries.
    Overly fatty/salty meat such as: fried chicken/wings/tenders (Anything dipped into a vat of boiling oil is out), ribs, fatty pork with the exception of bacon, any non lean steak.

Good food rules to follow
    -Every meal must be composed of 50% or more vegetables (based on size, like half a plate). Only exception is post workout shake. My main breakfast is oatmeal, going to have to figure out how to incorporate greens into it.
    -serving of Apple cider vinegar every morning and every night to help with blood sugar level.
    -I'm going for one cheat day per month. Per week is just bad, and no cheating at all is not sustainable or controllable. The caveat, is on the cheat day, the food has to be of the highest quality, not fast food and shit like that. We're talking organic, farm raised, nice restaurants, quality ingredients. Maybe combine this with a date night perhaps.
    -I'm going to use things like peanut butter and bacon for sanity. As long as I am eating enough vegetables, I can use those things for just taste and not to satisfy hunger.

Food quantity
    I'll have to see about this. I'm not planning to count calories. If I were, I'd be right around 2000 or so. I'm banking on the vegetables to keep me full. I also may look into some various nutrition templates, mainly for ideas.

With a 1 year old, and also living with my in laws, I'm not going to make doing my own food prep a priority. I don't have full control over the tiny kitchen so I don't want to rely on cooking. I'll be doing a combination of healthy prepared meals and salad type stuff.

Workouts
    I injured my shoulder 4 weeks ago. It is probably an acute thing combined with an overuse cumulative damage thing. I plan to see an orthopaedic. I won't be doing my usual crossfit workouts.

I can front squat with no pain, so that will be my main weight lifting component. Back squatting and dead lifting are out. Everything else will be shoulder rehab/strengthening work. My right shoulder has always been a problem with less stability /poor posture and lower internal range of motion. I plan to really work on balancing my shoulders. I got crossover symmetry during a black Friday sale and will be doing that.

For cardiovascular, I plan to do the fan bike, rowing and more walking.

For general mobility, I will be doing romwod each morning.

I'll be going to the gym 3 days a week, likely Sunday, Wednesday, Friday. The first two days coincide with picking up kettlebell kitchen food at my gym.

Goals
    I want to get in the best shape of my life in 2018. I feel that I have all the tools I need. I have the most muscle I've ever had. I have access to a great gym, with everything I could need. I have many years experience of how to eat healthy. 2017 was the most stressful year of my life. First year as parents, I work at a startup and we were going for some critical funding this past year, the country as a whole, regardless of your politics, has been insane, and in the summer we moved in with my wife's parents. Any one of these is a great deal more stress than previous years. Take them all together and it is no wonder I've gained 20 pounds and have high blood pressure for the first time in my life.

Some more concrete goals, is to get my waist measurement under 34". Lose 20 pounds of fat.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wishing you a much better 2018!