1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness, Health and spirituality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by seth, Feb 16, 2006.

1. seth

seth Well-Known Member

Fitness, Health and spirituality are essential in every one’s life. I read that just being fit and healthy with out attaining spiritual maturity will lead to a “hollow Life”

I am 41, and a to a degree achieved progress in fitness and health thanks to JSF Forum and Gurus who helped here. But I am Zero in spirituality.

How do I become spiritual? This is my goal for 2006. To achieve higher level of understanding of life, avoid anger, obsessions and weakness (Money, sex etc). Note: when I say spirituality it does not mean Religion).Currently I do not practice any religon while my wife and my parents are very religious

Any one can point me in a right direction?

Also: To John Stone: I felt that the JSF forum is not just a fitness Forum as the title indicates but rather a “Fitness and Health forum”

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Seth, I completely understand where you're coming from.

I just finished reading a book that really had an impact on me. It pretty much addresses everything you seem to be seeking. While it's not for everyone, it might answer some questions for you and at least give you a place to start. It's called "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman.

Give it a try. It's a rather quick read and although the narrative is rather simple and can get a little boring, the teachings are pure gold.

If you give it a read, let me know what you think. I'm actually going to go out today and purchase his other books.

3. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

I found my spirituality through my journey to fitness.

It really started when I realized I had to stop worrying what everyone else thought about me, and that being fit and lean wouldn't make me happy, it had to be something deeper. When I realized how I could help others and what an impact it made in my life, I began to understand this better. My traditional view of life was the cynical, universe-is-out-to-get-me and I'm-a-proud-atheist view. Why do something for someone else if I didn't have some personal benefit? Everything is physics and animal instinct, etc, right?

Of course, through the transformation, I discovered this was just a convenient illusion I used to keep myself from evolving to something more. When I stopped falling for the convenient illusions of "physical" reality and discovered something more beneath, that is when my life truly began to change.

How do you do this? Everyone must follow their own path. For me, I had guides who led me. I personally had circumstances in my life that just couldn't be called coincidence (there would be a 1 in a billion chance these were coincidences) and those forced me to look deeper and begin the process of learning more.

I say process because you don't just "get spiritual" or have a religion and you're done, at least, it didn't happen that way for me. I'm still learning and growing and understanding my beliefs. Some beliefs require a bit of faith and it's difficult to go to the next level until your faith creates something in your life that validates it, and then you realize that's just a stepping stone to a higher level.

The title of my book (in my signature) is not just about faith in you and that you will lose the fat, but also about spiritual faith. I write a lot about my journey and how spirituality became a large part of my transformation and journey. It is a point that I've had people write and say, "This is the most amazing book because it's the first one I've read that really addresses this issue of the spiritual side of living healthy" while others have written and said, "I would have liked your book if you hadn't written all of that spiritual crap which I could have done without."

I've written about this in other places, like here:

Pursuit of Greatness
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=190

Do you have spirit
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=74

Living by giving
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=101

Keeping the faith
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=155

You can also search inside the book at amazon for spirit, faith, etc to see excerpts that I've written about.

A few major influences on my journey that may assist you in your own path:

All major historical religious texts (the Bible, the Quran, the Upanishads, Baghavad Gita, etc, etc)
    The Attractor Factor by Joe Vitale
    The Power of Intention by Wayne Dyer
    Positive Energy by Judith Orloff

Those are just a few that have helped shape my focus on this journey.

Jeremy

4. jeremya

jeremya Well-Known Member

While I can't tell you what will work for you. I can tell you that meditation has worked wonders for me when I have practiced it regularly. There are many good books,both religous and secular, on meditation.

For me meditation helped with the all the things you listed. It's a very intraspective activity.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

-- Jeremy

5. widthofacircle

widthofacircle Well-Known Member

Get a telescope. :cool:

6. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I don't even know what "spirituality" means.

7. seth

seth Well-Known Member

Jeremy likness

You are a Guru Indeed.

It is very interesting to read your transformation; You have inspired me a great extent with your writings

I am surprised you mentioned Upanishads since my dad knows Sanskrit and he thought me a little bit. Since I am not matured enough to understand it, I could not comprehend it. Upanishad, as I understand is written at a very high level and it is more philosophical than it religious.

As you have nailed it in your message, the biggest challenge is to believe what is written in these scriptures. I have grown up learning to trust only “ Scientific Experiments” and least religious. Now when I read Max Müler’s Upanishads translation, Rig Vedas, it is very hard for me to believe or put a faith in these scriptures that are written way back (in 900BC)

I guess the message I take from your posting is that I need a guru to elevate myself to a stage of enlightenment. I was thinking of trying Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, which always attracted me. But I need to look for a guru who can teach me. BTW Yoga includes meditation

Marcus/Jeremya : Thanks for the posting. I will look at the resources you have mentioned