1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fitday = confusing, or is it me?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Foley, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Ok.

I just started using Fitday.com to track calories.

It has worked out my BMR to be 2033, Lifestyle to be 1294. I then did 30 mins cardio and it worked that out as 381. That gives a total of 3707.

I am only eating about 2700 calories, and thats on my workout days. Does that mean I have a calorific deficit of almost 1000 per day, if not more?

I'm confused!!!

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I found Fitday confusing and it had many functions I don't need or care about. A spreadsheet is a bit more convenient to me. I carry it around on a USB memory stick and never have to worry about having not having my data with me.

I advise you try manually calculating your BMR requirements using the Katch-McArdle and Harris-Benedict equations. Remember to apply the activity factor to your BMR so that you have a reasonable facsimile of the actual calories you're outputting.

Compare the two results - and be sure you understand what they mean. I think you may be relying on the online calculator too much and not understanding just what it's calculating for you.

-R

3. williamso

williamso Well-Known Member

Agreed. I carry my info. on a spreadsheet with me everywhere, too.

Remember also, those calculators (however you use them) are only general estimates. Each person is different. They are a good place to start. A reference point. Once you get to know your body, you'll find that they are not really that helpful anymore.

4. Jokat

Jokat Well-Known Member

Hi Bluestreak,

I must agree that Fitday can be confusing. I bought the pc version which is at least quicker. May I ask how you use a spreadsheet? Do you manually find out the values for each food from the internet and then type it all into the spread sheet?

Perhaps you wouldnt mind sharing your spreadsheet with me, if you would be so kind or at the very least explain how you use it.

Much obliged.

5. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Bluestreak,

Cheers mate. I worked out my BMR using Harris Benedict and it was the same, but my activity level meant that I was 2800

Cheers for clearing that up

Foley

6. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Add me to the spreadsheet fan club. I have mine setup where one tab contains my daily meals and then I have other tabs broken down by macronutrients. I fill in the nutritional information on the macro tabs as I go along and then copy and paste it into my foodlog as necessary. Fitday does not contain information on sugars, which some may consider important. Another reason why I like to use a spreadsheet. It may not look as pretty as fitday, but it's more useful to me.

[​IMG]

Jason

7. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

My spreadsheet is self-developed and has slowly evolved over the past four years. It's an Excel file.

It has several sheets within the file. The two I use daily are the meal planner, which automatically calculates macros for each meal and for the day as well. The second sheet is a calorie and macro-tracker that also graphs my trends for me (it's like a way to customize the above equations I mentioned for your body). You can view a screen shot of these sheets here and here.

I also have a nutritional library in there where I look up meal items (note the "Item No." column on my spreadsheet, all you do is input the Item No. corresponding to the food you want to use and the other cells for p/c/f fill themselves via a lookup table) to make evaluating/creating meals and meal plans quick and easy. There's a sheet for recording body dimensional changes and also one for planning out your goals and seeing how much time and/or aggressiveness is required to reach a certain goal.

Unfortunately, it's not user-friendly. It's written with Visual Basic functions as well as formulas, lookup tables, etc... if you don't know VB and programming formulas in Excel, you'll find it a challenge to use the spreadsheet as sometimes certain things have to be tweaked within the functions and formulas manually. It's user-friendly to me because I wrote it. The rest of the world would probably hate my sheet, but I live and die by it when I'm working out seriously to an end-goal.

I'd actually love to share it with the forum, and I've been saying I'd find the time to clean it up and make it user-friendly so I could release it to everyone. I just haven't had the time or the motivation to do it.

-R

8. Caruthias

Caruthias Well-Known Member

John Stone's spreadsheet is linked somewhere on the main page, and once you go through the time to plug in the main things you usually eat in the "menu," it's very convenient. Plus, it's excel, so you can always make whatever minor changes you want.

9. magic9hat

magic9hat Well-Known Member

:tucool: Exactly what I have done. I have even added tabs for recipes, sample meal days for different goals, supplements, grocery lists, and different workouts I have tried over the years. I highly suggest looking into it as all of the forumlas are already calculated. Use the "Menu" option to copy and paste meal plans.

10. SWF

SWF Active Member

I also agree that it can be confusing, or at least the on-line version can be. I find it useful to see what I am actually eating and it does seem to hold me more accountable.

Jokat,
    Does the PC version breakdown fat into good fat vs. bad fat?

11. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

I only use fitday to record my food from day to tday, that's all pretty much

12. Fluogen

Fluogen Well-Known Member

SWF, the PC version has places for saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. If you don't know them you can just put in the overall fat content but it does allow you to enter the others.

You are also able to set a min and max value for each as well as all the other nutrients it tracks. I bought the software last year and just picked it back up a couple of weeks ago. It is great for me but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

13. SWF

SWF Active Member

Fluogen, thanks for the reply maybe I should just drop the $20.00 for the PC version and see what additional features I get.

14. Jokat

Jokat Well-Known Member

Hey there,

Yeah like Fluogen said, it does record the different types of fat. I use it daily to track my calories but one thing I find annoying about it is it is only set up for weight loss and not weight gain so you cant use it to bulk. Other than just to track calories. It is the best tool I have used to date but I still feel it lacks completeness.

15. DonCT

DonCT Active Member

16. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Well, my thread, thought I would say something. ;)

I ONLY use it to add the calories up for me. I type in my custom foods and it adds it up. I have taken Bluestreaks advice and worked out my maintenace, using the Harris Benedict formula which is 2800 compared to Fitdays 3100.

Funny though, I changed my lifestyle to bed bound and it gave me almost the same number as my maintenance :lol:

The reason I am not going to use a spreadsheet is that I cannot carry it around with me, whereas I can log on to Fitday.com when Im at home, school, or on holiday, any where in the world!