1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fit women over age 42 to age 89 on parade

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Justitia, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank you so much both China2u and Carole.... That report of her life in your link ,Carole, is pretty incredible. :blank:

2. etb

etb Active Member

need diet help

Hi....I'm new here.....I'm 55 yrs old and workout 6 days a week, 4 WT days, 3 cardio....my problem is this roll that I'm getting. I did the Jillian Michaels routine for 6 weeks and it worked great.....I lost weight and muscle.....but I still looked toned. Now, I've gone back to WT and lifting heavy ......but i'm not liking this roll....either I'm not eating enough and I'm starving myself, which could be the answer, and I need to eat more. I'm trying to eat balanced, but don't want to go over the 1600 calorie mark, but I might have too.....any help would be appriecated.

3. grandma

grandma Active Member

I just read through a few of these stories and they have me MOTIVATED!! I've never thought "I'm too old" (I'm almost 47), but it's still so cool to see these women make such great transformations at ages that most people would assume is too late. I've thought about the BFL program in the past and have just been inspired to take another look at it! :tu: Who knows - maybe I'll be posting my before & after pics on this thread in a few months! :nod:

#143 grandma, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. buffedstuff

buffedstuff Active Member

It is never to late I am 47 but when I was 44 I was overweight and out of shape I didn't give up on myself and now I feel better than I ever have. If I can anyone can, I wish you well. :)

5. beachbunny

beachbunny Active Member

feeling great at almost 46

I'm 45 years old, will be 46 next month, and I feel better than I did at 20! I have always sort of done some excercise, but not seriously, and kind of off and on. If I got busy, forget I didn't exercise. I just did some kind of aerobic activity, but that was about it, and I never thought I could run/jog or do an elliptical.

Even though I am small framed, I had a fair amount of body fat. I guess "skinny fat". Flabby belly and arms, oh and legs. In December I decided I wanted to do something about it. I got a book on clean eating which really helped to change my mindset about food and what I put in my body. I gave up soda (drank a ton of diet soda) and most all processed foods. I started to lift weights and get aerobic activity in everday. I would do treadmill or elliptical for 25-30 minutes, do stretching and ab work, then do upper body one day, lower body next day for 6 days a week. I did machines for lower body, and dumbells for upper body (though not too heavy).

After finding this forum, I made some additionl changes to my routine to help further me along. I now do 30 minutes cardio every other day, and do more heavy weightlifting on the alternate days for an hour (including ab work). I am hoping to get more definition in my arms, especially my shoulders and keep working towards toward that six pack. I also upped my protein intake to about 100-120 grams a day (I currently weigh 104 at 5'2")

I don't have any before pics, but this is my most recent pics. Goofy as I had to use a mirror.

Just an average gal who works all day and has a great supportive husband and two daughters 16 and 21.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

6. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Wow Beachbunny, you look awesome, well done on your progress so far. :tu:Maybe you could post your wts routine and we can help a little with your stated goals of building up shoulders/arms a little :)

I love the photo on the bed ;)

#146 Jedi, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  7. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)Well, having been blessed with another birthday I’d like to post a
    visual reality check and in light of the fact that I am possibly one of the
    more ‘mature’ members of the forum I trust that you, Justitia, won’t mind
    if I use your ‘ Fit Women Over da dah, da dah’ to do so. This year was good
    for me and although (and try as I might) I was unable to add the much coveted
    bulk I seek (happily though I was able to increase the weights I use) I fear
    I must post a bathing suit picture instead of what I would much prefer…..a stronger
    looking more striated me in an honest to goodness ‘muscle pose’. Oh my kingdom
    for Rockenmama’s body, whoa! Given health I will continue to work and who
    knows……….just maybe one day!

Attached Files:

Justitia likes this.
  8. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

wow carole... you look amazing. keep enjoying your youth! :tu:

9. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Carole, and I echo Dejavue, you look absolutely fantastic... :bow:

10. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

Wow Carole. That is one positive visual reality check. When the scale refuses to budge upward, all you have to do is look in the mirror and you can see your accomplishment.

11. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

I thought I would post a photo of one of my best friends (with permission). She is 46 years old. She is a woman who has been inspirational in my own journey in fitness. Early on, she pointed out that when I would lift, I would stop about the time I was just getting going and also that if I didn't start to get sufficient protein, I might as well stop, things I didn't understand and quite life changing. She rattled off workouts and diet changes over the phone that made all the difference in the world. She also drove home the point that life just takes on a different perception and is more manageable after a workout.

Her name is Laura, mother of a 4 year-old, juggling a full time professional career as a Quality Management Systems manager, owner of a large Shiloh Shepherd breeding facility, and keeping a house together with full time relationship and mom-duties, yet also now competing in figure competition when time permits.

She is no stranger to out-lifting the men, having originally used Olympic Weightlifting workout, diet and competition in college as a method of countering a history of early anorexia. Rather than merely overcoming the life issues, she ended up placing in the top 5 nationally 3 years in a row. After diving into her career, she once again found life issues bothering her, and being diagnosed with Lupus, again turned to fitness in response. At that time she began running and eventually competing in marathons. It managed the symptoms. She tends to be sold on fitness being the first and foremost answer to whatever ails (and is not afraid to say so).

In 2004, at 42, she gave birth to her pride and joy son, Kai. As all pregnancies tend to do, there was work to be done after the birth. This time she adopted bulking and cutting as a lifestyle. She quickly cut the fat off, increased her muscle mass dramatically, and eyed figure competition as a method of having a goal to maintain this. Right now, at 5'6", she maintains between 138 and 156 pounds depending on whether she is preparing for her possible three shows a year. She uses normally 4 weight workouts a week and during show prep after periods of bulking, includes periods of nearly daily cardio.

Her schedule is characteristically over the edge, but she makes sure to prioritize her workouts. Her attitude is that they facilitate everything else in her life rather than detracting from it. Her mantra is that before you try to fix the inner struggles, fix the outside and you will find at least some of the inner issues evaporating. She uses bulking techniques to create her body and has no fear whatsoever of looking "bulky", she never does either, the feminine appearance in street clothes is dramatic... and, her bench press makes mine look like I'm using a broomstick!

I don't have a before picture. I emailed her this morning and she quipped that NO cameras were permitted when she had gained the weight. I think many of us can relate to that, it's one reason why we embark on the journey. I will say that at that time we worked together at the same facility, her weight lifting program results left all of us astounded with the speed of eliminating the impact of pregnancy.

This photo is about 2 months ago, I think the day of the northwest's Emerald Cup in Bellevue.

[​IMG]

#151 Eagle Tree, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  12. MaryAnn

MaryAnn Active Member

I belong on this thread. My name is Mary Ann and I am 56. I introduce myself on the Intro. thread. I love looking at all the success stories, Hopefully one day I can be one also. I'm from Central Pa. and I have been lifting weights for years. I am not consistent, and have not made any changes to my body. I was eating a higher protein/lower carb plan that a PT I was working with gave to me. I lost 10 lbs., and dropped to a size 12 from a 14 but..the meal plan never changed and it was pretty strict so I couldn't stick with it. Now I'm back to normal mode which is eating clean about 80% of the time, but not eating every few hours like I should be. As you can see, I need help:lol:. What I should do is a 12 week challenge.

Mary Ann

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

etb -- don't get discouraged --- come back... read 1FastGx's post a few posts up as to how to get started. You do not need to live with that roll... it can be made to disappear. Look at Carole's pictures above. Now that is one hot, smokin' body :nod::tu:

You know, grandma, you don't have to wait until you've done your transformation to post. This thread is to show what can be done. Start your own fitness journal in the Fitness Journal forum and post pictures, report what's happening -- even if you are not moving forward -- you'll get a lot of support from people here, no matter how slow or fast your progress is.

Hey, buffedstuff long itme -- no see.... Yeah I remember your transformation thread -- it was pretty fantastice. Maybe you woul consider posting before and after pics with a little bit about your story here?

Sexy!!! beachbunny Those are some photos! :nod: Glad ot have your pics on this thread! It is great to have JSF'rs as examples on this thread.

ANd Carole what can be said except WOW!!! I was just mentioning how women in their 50's were just starting to be considered sexy as the better aging show business stars are showing how it can be done. I was saying to PGC that it will take about 10 years before being in your 60's will be considered sexy.

Well, Carole, you prove me wrong. On the brink of turning 70!! you have one hot, sexy, turn-on bod there..... :bow: :bow: :bow:

oh BTW --- [​IMG]

(And I am not ashamed to admit -- Madonna has been an inspiration in many directions since she lithely crawled on the floor in that wedding dress singing "Like a Virgin" at the MTV Awards 25 years ago. Below is Madonna jst as she is about to turn 50!)

Attached Files:

#153 Justitia, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  14. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

:eek: Wow!! You look amazing Carole! :bow:

15. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

I'll second that!!!

Carole, you look incredible!

16. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

And why should she, you look good, no matter what age group. Keep it up, girl. You walk the walk!:tucool:

17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So.. as I am struggling myself to get re-started after a series of medical mishaps, I came across the summary below of what exactly is the wrong thing to do to regain our comely appearance - particularly as we pass the 42 yo threshold.

And surprise, surprise -- as I read on, I found it also describes pretty much what many women, including myself when younger, either believed was optimal for achieving sexy goals or what ended up to be our actual behavior (and sorry to say, one I have relapsed into the last few months.)

So for the female newcomers reading this thread and going OMG -- can I do that!?! Ask yourselves -- up until now -- is what is listed below echo at all for you?

From Sandy Joyce "The Cardio Secret!":

So if any of the bullet points seem familiar to you -- you've come to the right place ... now is the time and here is the place to learn what really does work .. and get it tailored uniquely to YOU.....:nod:

18. China2u

China2u Active Member

You look absolutely amazing! Keep on doing whatever it is that you do.......:tucool:

19. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

I just spent several hours reading through this entire thread. Justitia, you've got a very cool head, in all senses of the term. I love how you handled the young man who said so many of the women were "too muscular" and how you handled the fella who said that two of the women were on steroids. Very nicely done.

There are so many wonderful inspirations. Thanks. But mostly thanks for creating an atmosphere where women can really applaud each other. (And yes it's nice to get applause from the occasional man, here, too.)

Long live this thread!

20. Fit2BMom

Fit2BMom Active Member

Hi I'm new to posting on this forum. I was just reading through this thread, and when I saw the picture of Madonna on the cover of Vanity Fair, I was immediately reminded of another recent photo of her taken when she was leaving a Kabbalah center with her daughter. Frankly, I think she looks way too thin, and doesn't have enough (real) fat on her body. Her hands and arms don't look good to me. Thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG]

#160 Fit2BMom, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008