1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fit women over age 42 to age 89 on parade

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Justitia, Dec 12, 2004.

1. MarkY

MarkY Active Member

That is an awesome transformation and my hat is off to her. But there is no way she is a size 2.

2. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You are probably correct that she is not a size 2... ;) But my own familiarity with how sizes have expanded since I was a young woman... when I was a young woman and quite slender as well as fairly muscular I wore a size 8. I am about 35 lbs heavier and I wear a size 8 today. Even though the additional weight is not all fat by any means.... I know I could never wear today what passed for a size 8 then.. which is probably closer to a size 4 today. So though she may not be a size 2 in those pictures, she may not be too far above that. And she is only a half a generation younger than me... so she probably exaggerates a little in her mind... :) And noticing that you are in a similar age range... you may be thinking of a much smaller size 2 for similar reasons than what size 2 runs today. When I was young, it was impossible to even find a dress size below size 6.... it was not sold anywhere. The odd number sizes (e.g., 5. 7, 9) were called "junior" sizes and were essentially the same as their 1 up even number, but cut for a younger, slimmer figure. SO when I was young I wore a size 7/8. If I became underweight, which I did occasionally I would drop down to a 5/6 but that only happened a few times in my teens and I weighed about 110-112 at 5'5" for the size 7/8.

#122 Justitia, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  3. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

It's a shame they couldn't find the fountain of youth sooner. Many lives could have been saved if they had just invented workouts sooner. Seriously though its amazing how much younger people look when the work out. NOT only do they feel younger, but they look younger as well. A very awsome side effect!

4. mattback

mattback Active Member

Express / Ruehl / Abercrombie & Fitch / white house black market size 4 -6 is like gap size 2.

gap and old navy sizes are REALLY 'friendly' to the people who want to have a low number on what size they wear.

so she is probably size 2 with gap / old navy ;-)

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Risa Stein turned 40 and decided to turn her life around.

Risa is just outside the usual age bracket that this thread is about but she's close enough.

Be sure to check out the before and after pics at the end of this post.

This is from bodybuilding.com

Attached Files:

#125 Justitia, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  6. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I have not had time to search for new transformations to add to this thread so I thought I would bump it up so newbies would be sure to see it. :tu:

7. Katydid

Katydid Active Member

Thank you, Justitia, for creating this thread. Even those of us under 40 are finding inspiration! I was feeling a bit lazy today, and was trying to avoid my workout. But I told myself if I do some research on the internet, I'm at least working out my brain, right?

Then I came here and learned about Edith Odoms. That lovely 95 year old lady works out 5 times a week!!! How can I not kick my butt into gear after reading that?

Again, thank you. I really enjoyed my workout today. :bb:

8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well... I really need to find some more inspiration women. It has been too long since I have updated this.

I am open to any suggestions. :D

9. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Okay I did a Google search for ya Justitia. :)

Found this one that you might like, hopefully she wasn't already mentioned (I have not visited this thread in a long time).

http://www.fitbygeno.com/morjorie_newlin-getting_older.htm

[​IMG]

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

11. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks 1fastgx... Actually we had photos of Marjorie Newlin on this thread already but when I went back to link to them, they were gone -- as well as bigboy who originally posted them. And a number of others that seemed to have disappeared.

That's what I get for not downloading them.... :(

I don't even remember who the other one was -- but a somewhat later poster accused Marjorie and the other person of being on steroids... :lol:

So thanks for these photos.

By the way -- did you know that Marjorie was selected this past August for "Hot Slut of the Week"? I kid you not... :tucool:

:lol:

Here is a link to an interview with her on NPR -- (the interviewer -- a woman -- asks what "weight class" she competed in --- :doh:

And here is a link to Marjorie, demonstrating in videos -- like our own chicanerous -- how to do the following: Free Weight Leg Squats, Body Weight dips, Military Style push-ups, Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Knee Raises, Leg Raises, Bicep Curls and Tricep Extensions.

#131 Justitia, Oct 22, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  12. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

Hello I just finished reading the seven pages of inspiration! Wow am I ever phsched!!

My name is mary and I am 55 & have been exercising for about 18 years do aerobics, light weights, speed walking mostly with dvds . Anyway for some reason I am overweight and more workouts and less food isn't even working :(

Bodybuilding has also been of interest to me ... any input suggestions are appreciated!
    mary

13. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

BTW I am a female - need to fix that ;)
    mary

14. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Welcome to the site!!

What I would suggest you do is create a new thread where you list out your current routine (training, diet, schedule, etc.). Be really specific if you can (meals, times you eat, exercises you do, sets/reps, etc.). Once you do that I'm sure some of the members here would be glad to try and help you out. :)

Up at the very top of every page on this site is a button that says "User C/P" - click that. Then on the left click the link that says "Edit Profile." From there you can change it from "male" to "female."

:)

15. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

thank you!

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

When you post the thread 1fastgtx suggests, you will get great advice from him and others.

But the bottom line will be lift weights and lift to build up to being able to build heavy. Every one of the women you saw on this thread lifts weights.

The reason lifting weights works to get you to finally lose weight and get the good shape you desire is that it builds muscle and muscle does three great things:

1. it will replace the fat on your body and pound for pound, muscle takes up less room than fat -- so even if you do not lose a pound you will look and be thinner. You can probably drop at least one dress size just from that alone.

2. the muscle on your body burns up more calories than the fat on your body -- so even if you still consume the exact same amount of calories, you will lose weight just by building up the muscle which will replace the fat -- which means actual weight loss in addition to reason number 1 and so you will drop dress size even faster and look even better. (But you need to be careful about what and how much you eat -- you have to eat the right foods to feed the growing muscle or you will just keep the fat instead -- and you have to make sure you eat enough food to feed the growing muscle. Just severely cutting your calories will not cause you to lose much weight if at all because your body will go into deprivation mode, slow down your metabolism and start consuming everything in your body for nutrition including what ever muscle you are trying to build.)

3. muscle makes you look shapely (not bulky -- can't happen to a woman unless she takes steroids to get male levels of testosterone) -- it is muscle that make Angelina Jolie, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Biel look so hot. And if you would like older role models, try Joan Allen (52) in addition to the women on this thread.

17. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

Thanks so much - those are wonderful points!
    mary:tu:

18. China2u

China2u Active Member

Sorry to tell you, but Majorie passed away a few months ago. She contracted Leukemia, but her obituary stated that she worked out until the very end. What an awesome woman, and such an inspiration.

19. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:blank:It’s been awhile since I’ve checked the forum so when I stopped by the other day I was surprised to read the previous post regarding the death of Marjorie Newlin. I found Ms. Newlin to be particularly and personally inspiring to and for me when I started lifting 12 years ago and was sadden to learn of her death here on your Fit Women thread Justitia. As I hadn’t read about it in my local newspaper or seen/heard of it on
    TV/radio I ‘googled around’ and found the following link which is an obituary and thought there might be other women, like myself, who would be interested in reading it. I have taken the liberty of posting the link below ……….hope you don’t mind.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/obituaries/15103046.html

#139 Carole, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  20. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Thank you Carole, for posting this. Whenever I read about her, I was always very inspired, and I loved her interviews. I was sad to read that she died.:(