1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fit women over age 42 to age 89 on parade

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Justitia, Dec 12, 2004.

1. polyphony

polyphony Well-Known Member

I love this thread and I am always amazed by the additions.

Any excuse any woman could make for not achieving her best is busted here.

These woman truly look excellent - each in her own way. And while their stories are diverse there is one common theme – if you put your mind to it, your body will follow and you will get to where you want to be.

You would have to be dead to not find a healthy dose of inspiration here!:claphigh:

2. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank you both Katie & Polyphony.... I check out here myself when I get discouraged....

In a few more weeks, I will be abel to start doing more updatres agaoin. As I said in an earlier post I have a pleasant treat for my next major addition here....:)

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's been a while since I have added new pictures to this thread and I thought it was time. BFL_redhead had posted a link earlier in this thread to Deana Langham, age 62.

I thought people might like to see not only pictures of her but hear a little of her story.

This is from Body For Life Challenge Champions

Her BFL pictures are at the bottom of this post.

Attached Files:

#103 Justitia, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  4. pminn

pminn Well-Known Member

I don't know if this woman's story has been mentioned here before, (I searched and came up empty), but I have her picture up in my home gym, on my treadmill and on my bathroom mirror. You can read about her here and here.
    My goal is 125 pounds and I started at 152. If she can do it...so can I!
    Just amazing!:claphigh:

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Wow those are amazing links... I'll see if I can't get her pictures and story up here in a couple of weeks. (I am proofreading right now.)

Thanks so much!

And yes...you can do it....:tu:

6. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I know it's been a while since I have posted on this thread. There is a lot going on in my personal life as those who keep up with my journals know.

I just want to say that I hope this thread remains an inspiration for everyone as it has for me while I am out recouperating from surgeries,etc.

In the meantime, I thought I would post a link and a couple of pictures of picture of Minna Hobbi who was suggested by pminn in an earlier post. The cardboard cutout photo is of Mina when she first began her transformation. That is her on Oprah WInfrey's show. The othere two are pictures of her before she started Body for Life and 12 weeks later.

Mina Hobbi from Hawaii — This 46-year-old business owner had been struggling with her weight for years. She accepted the Challenge knowing that if she could transform her body, she could achieve anything. Mina definitely transformed her body. In 12-weeks, she dropped 33 lbs. going from wearing a size 10, to a size 2. "The Body-for-LIFE Challenge has changed everything for me. I realize now that being overweight was a way for me to hide from life. Not anymore! I now have a level of energy, self-confidence and personal power that I can achieve any goal I set for myself."

Attached Files:

#106 Justitia, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I am just bumping to keep this thread on top. I have not had time for a while to update it, as people who follow my recovery thread know why...

But please everyone... please take inspiration from this....:tucool:

#107 Justitia, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  8. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia - I was just showing this thread to a friend of mine yesterday, I was hoping that the pictures might inspire that person's mother.

9. eyeballrene

eyeballrene Well-Known Member

Long time reader, been a while since I've posted...

I've been a member here for a while but haven't posted much, if at all. I'm so glad I caught this thread. I'm 47 and sometimes it seems hard to find someone in my age group who cares about being fit. I can't tell you how good it felt to see this thread. I really should visit here more often.:)

Thanks.:tu:

Irene

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So glad you are here, Irene... there are more of us than people realize... after alll we are the baby boomer generation... and we always swore we wouldn't get old.... ;)

11. pminn

pminn Well-Known Member

Hi Irene,
    I'm 52 and wish I'd become more interested in fitness a long time ago. But at least I am now! I've lost 20 lbs since January 3, 2006 and it's in large part to the support I've found here on this site. AND in particular to this thread started by Justitia. :tu:
    Good luck and don't be a stranger.
    Pam
    BTW, my husband and I are making our annual trip to California in a few weeks and would love to visit San Diego, any tips on where to stay downtown?

12. eyeballrene

Hi Pminn!!!
    I didn't get on the bandwagon until my 40's. I feel much better about my body, health, fitness and self than I did in my 20's or 30's. I don't want to go back! I'm looking forward to my 50's!

There's a zillion places to stay in San Diego. I must say that I'm somewhat partial to the San Diego Gaslamp Hilton, only because one of my very good friends works the night shift there. :D They also have a decent work out room. We've stayed in both the suites and their regular rooms. It's right near the convention center, with in walking distance of Petco Park and the trolley, and of course, right in the Gaslamp district. We go there for our anniversaries since my friend works there. We've also stayed at the Omni, which is right next to Petco Park, and that's very nice as well. There's a very nice hotel right at Horton Plaza, but the name escapes me... My sister and family have stayed there before. It's the only hotel located in that Horton Plaza square...

I hope the weather will be kind when you make your trip out here!
    I'll try and post here more often. :cool:

13. eyeballrene

Thanks! The best part about being fit is it REALLY DOES defy age! Everyone thinks my grandson is mine. Gotta love that! :lol:

14. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

BTW, my husband and I are making our annual trip to California in a few weeks and would love to visit San Diego, any tips on where to stay downtown?[/QUOTE]

:) If you’re from California and have your own transportation, give some thought to the Hotel ‘Del’ on Coronado! Then you would have options for down town (Gas light district, Horton Plaza etc.) as well as Coronado just across the bay (Lots of wonderful places to eat, yum, yum.) and the Hotel ‘Del’ is special! Just a thought………at any rate I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time…San Diego is a really cool place with the most wonderful weather in the country! (No pun intended.);)

15. pminn

pminn Well-Known Member

Irene and Carol,
    Thanks for the ideas. I'd love to stay at the Del, I saw it profiled on Fine Living one evening, but I'm afraid it's a bit out of our price range! I've been told that once you visit SD, you don't want to leave! Well, that's how we feel about California in general. We're starting our trip in San Fran, then Sonoma, flying to LA and driving to San Diego and will end up in Venice/Santa Monica. I can't wait! We're definitely interested in staying in the Gas Lamp district. I'll check out the hotels you suggested, Irene.
    Pam

16. eyeballrene

Pam,
    Sometimes the Del in Cornado has deals, so you might want to check room availability there as well, plus, Downtown is just over the bridge. :)

17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, this profile is a little different but I thought it would be an interesting addition to the thread.

Janet Marisco was a competitive body-builder 13 years ago. She decided to transform to a fitness model instead. She has just turned 40, so technically she would not qualify for this thread for another 2 years. But I find her interview and photos extremely instructive.

One of the concerns of many women, young and older alike, is getting too muscular. "I want to tone, not get big and bulky" is the cry often heard. Despite repeated assurances that unless a woman takes steroids, she cannot bulk up because she does not produce enough testosterone and the instances of women who are bulky are typically examples of women on steroids, many women new to fitness still have the "bulky" concern... I guess until after a while they finally believe the truth. But many do not stay or try hard enough at fitness to get to that understanding... many women resort to doing high reps with pink 1 lb dumbbells that do nothing for them... not even "toning." :lol:

But still many women see pictures of female body-builders who are natural, not bulky... and it is still too muscular for their taste. Even for many men, the strong muscularity of a female body-builder competitor, even all natural and not bulky, is too unfeminine for the men.

I presume this is why "fitness model" competitions were developed. Sexy, curvaceous and fit... But to achieve that, it still requires a good foundation of muscle and lean body mass... just not as lean as with body builders in competitions.

Janet went from being a body-builder competitor in her 20's to a fitness model and to figure model competitor by her 40th birthday. The contrast in her pictures is quite interesting.

Here is a link to an interview with the revered Tom Venuto in which she discusses this. There are quite a few pictures of her there. I reproduce below "before" and "after" photos from that interview to see how she changed from BB to fitness model.

I also reproduce here some portions of the interview with Tom Venuto that I found particularly interesting:

The first picture below is Janet in a body building competition circa 1992 competition. The other pictures are from between 2004-2006. The photo of her as the winner of the 2006 WNBF Figure - Pro Master’s Champion -- the year of her 40th birthday!

You can also learn more aobut Janet and her approach to fitness not only in the rest of the interview with Tom Venuto but also at her website: http://www.thefigureworkshop.com/index.html

Attached Files:

#117 Justitia, Aug 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  18. buffedstuff

buffedstuff Active Member

heres to hoping I will be in awesome shape by the time I hit 50

19. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You are already there!!! :)

20. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's been a while since I have posted on this thread. But I was browsing about today looking for some new inspiration and I came across Diane Roberston on the Body-for-Life site.

Here is a woman at the age of 43 decided she was tired of being a mountain of fluff. So she joined the Body-for-Life competition and recieved special recognition for her accmplishments. She went through the challenge 3 times and here is the link to her on BFL (scroll down)and here is her story (notice that they don't mention her weight loss, just fat loss and dress size change from 18 -> size 2 -- and you can see by her pictures below she built a good amount of muscle -- point out again the importance of composition of lean body mass to fat instead of focusing on weight loss) :

Attached Files: