1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fit women over age 42 to age 89 on parade

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Justitia, Dec 12, 2004.

1. wvpumpkin

wvpumpkin Well-Known Member

She did this in only 4 weeks. I thought the bfl challenge was 12 weeks. Is the plan she used the same bfl plan Bill Phillips developed and Eating for life as well. Count me in if it is!!!

2. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Apparantly, BFL decided to show results for people who made it through 4 weeks. Perhaps this decsion was in hopes of motivating people to start and not find the 12 weeks too daunting.

People seem to forget that when one embarks on a journey of change, one is not going to stay the "old way" the whole time until bam the 12 or whatever # of weeks are up and then become suddenly the "new way." But instead it is a transformation. And though there will be tough periods along the way, overall, one will be feeling (and looking) better and better with each passing day.

I think it was a great idea to show 4 week progress picks, to show how great a change even a relatively short duration of transformation can accomplish.

#82 Justitia, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

That is one hell of a transformation for only 4 weeks. She looks fantastic in the after pic.

4. bfl_redhead

bfl_redhead Well-Known Member

It's so encouraging to see all these women looking so fabulous!! I turned 40 this year and that number hit me hard. I'm not sure why, but it didn't feel good to have that number attached to me. Suddenly saying I was 40 and a mother of 4, sounded frumpy and dowdy!!

I saw a lot of these women's pics when i started looking at bodyforlife before I started a challenge in june...i figured if women older than myself could look this great, I had no reason to complain or just figure it was my lot in life to look like cr*p!:D

Thanks for starting and continuing this thread. It is very motivating! :tu:

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Check out Melanie Granada! A True Miracle Transformation Proving It Is NEVER To Late!

Check out Melanie Granada! A True Miracle Transformation Proving It Is NEVER To Late!

Melanie's story has got to be one the top most inspiring stores around! Here she was, overweight and out-of-shape at age 47.

I remember when I was at my heaviest, how hard it was to keep up the motivation to gain what progress I could.... I was too far gone, too much damage to my body...I was too old!.... I would never get my old body back!! How could I stay on target when I knew what little strides I gained, in the end..it just ain't gonna look that great.

But even at my heaviest, Melanie had even more to go than me....

And look what she did!! Starting for the first time at age 47!

In 2 years, she was placing 3rd in bodybuilding contests and selected by BodyBuilders.Com as Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week!! If this is not really true inspiration...then I don't know what is....

Here is some of what she said...and check her out not only at BodyBuilders.com but also at Stunptuous.com Women's Weight Training

"I almost died from a bleeding ulcer in 1996, after that I had a reality check and decided to turn my life around. In 1997 I found a couple trainers at gold's gym, one was into fitness the other bodybuilding. I had always wanted to get into bodybuilding, even when I was in high school, but it never happened, I never found anyone to train with, then I was inspired by my trainer Julie, she got me on the road to bodybuilding and has been training me ever since."

"As of the 25th of March, I have now lost 92 lbs.; here is a before and after picture... I will be competing in the Mr./Ms. Buffalo contest on the 27th. My trainer Julie was the motivating force
    behind my success; she knew before me that I would reach this weight. By following her instructions and working hard at the gym I accomplished my goal... doing a contest after 33 years is a dream come true. My body fat at the start was 40%. It is now 10.9%. Whew... :) I went from 215 down to 123. Not bad for a 47 year young female wouldn't you say? It took two years of hard work but it was worth every bit of it."

Now Melanie is preparing for a new round of contests where she will be in the over 50 years old division.... :jumping: :claplow: :db: :bb:

Attached Files:

#85 Justitia, Oct 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  6. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Unbelievable!!! And amazing!

7. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

That's absolutly incredible!!
    Although she enters my 'too muscular' category, her transformation is very inspiring!!!

8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I am just bumping this thread up so it will be on the first page. I have been incredibly busy and have not had time to add to it. I am facing a deadline for the past 2 months and it is now coming up. Once that is done I will add to the thread.

But please, anyone is welcome to add to this thread... :tu:

9. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

This one's a little different from the others, not a transformation, just a fit woman over 42.

http://www.lynnecox.org/

Lynne Cox is an open water swimmer who has crossed the English Channel and the Bering Strait, among numerous other amazing swims, and 3 years ago she swam over a mile in 25 minutes in Antarctica at the age of 45. She's been swimming all her life, and she's built for swimming long distances in cold water. In other words, she's well insulated! And amazingly strong... perhaps a little crazy! :lol: Her book Swimming to Antarctica is a fascinating read, and a showcase of determination and human adaptation.

I think she's just amazing.

I really like this thread. It's a good reminder that you don't have to be out of shape or heading for Dullsville as you get older.

10. bfl_redhead

bfl_redhead Well-Known Member

11. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:) bigboy, thank you for posting this picture. This was the woman (she was featured in the Parade or USA magazine eight or nine years ago), who inspired me to lift weights. I had forgotten her name but not her accomplishments and would remember them when I was stuck on a weight plateau or trying to squeeze out one more rep. It is so nice to know it now……..Marjorie Newlin. Thank you for the information. :)

12. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks so much, bigboy and everyone else who has made additions here. I am still working on my project but hope to be finished soon.

For those who would like to read more directly about Marjorie Newlin, here is a reprint from the link bigboy provided.

Happy holidays everyone!!!!:tucool:

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

WOW!!!

These additions are pretty incredible......

14. GettingBuffAgain

GettingBuffAgain Well-Known Member

That last group of women are all on steroids.

15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

One thing we all want to be careful of here on JSF is making accusations of steroid use. :nod: Certainly John, himself, is often accused of steroid use, :nope: despite the well-documented progress he has made over years of hard work.

The implication of the above accusation is that women would not be able to achieve the gains demonstrated in the last group of pictures without the benefit of steroid use. Normally, as a rule, I do not attach pictures here of women under the age of 42 -- as the purpose of this thread is to show that women can start out at any stage of life and get physically fit and look great.:tucool:

But in this instance I am going to break with my tradition. :doh:

Since the above poster is implying that the physiques we observe in the previously posted pictures could not be achieved by women naturally, through hard and disciplined work, I thought it would be useful to post some pictures from the International Natural Body-Building Association's (INBBA) site.

INBBA's website

INBBA oversees a number of competitions and is extremely strict about testing contestants and very strict about substances that can be used. Far more than just steroids are banned.... you can go to the site to see the extensive list of substances that are banned.

Also on that site, one can click on a link to the left called "Judging Criteria."

What you see there are two individuals who are posing for INBBA for the purpose of showing how contestants will be judged. One of them is a woman. I attach pictures of her below. :tu:

If you notice, she is not as leaned out as one would get for a BB contest. But the muscularity, shape and form comes close, equals or exceeds the musculature of the women in the pictures above, depending on which part of the body you are considering, and she is not even posing for a contest. Presumably she would be in even better shape when getting ready for one.

She is an INBBA representative and so there is no question of steroids or a whole host of other performance enhancing substances here.

So, I am given to understand that National Physique Committee (NPC), one of the leading amateur bodybuilding contests, has some controversy because it does not test for substances and therefore there is strong suspicion that steroid use is widespread. :eek: However, that does not mean that all contestants abuse steroids and there are a number of known INBBA qualified natural bodybuilders who compete in these contests and do well. The two last women on this thread above this post, MURIEL BREWER and DEE LAZARD, have competed successfully at NPC.

So with all that information...I think it is good that this question was raised. I think it was worth our while to look at pictures of an INBBA Representative to see what gains a woman is quite capable of, completely and very strictly, naturally.... :bb:

Certainly I feel quite inspired by these pictures and I hope everyone else can join with me in that. :claplow: And I would like to thank our newcomer, GettingBuffAgain, for raising this question for us to consider. :nod:

So I present to you the pictures below. You can go to the INBBA site to find them there as well. ;)

Attached Files:

#95 Justitia, Dec 9, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Also I would check out the posts earlier on this thread of Renee Young and Melanie Granada..both over 50. Renee is also linked to on the INBBA's site...so my guess is...she's pretty clean.....;)

17. Kebas

Kebas Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, most of the women in this thread look way too masculine for me - too muscular. This one here though I find attractive.

18. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes, she is quite pretty and attractive...and it's nice to see a young man be able to appreciate a pretty woman regardless of age....:nod: :nod: :tucool:

19. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So my article that I have been working so hard on for the last 4 months, is supposed to be finished this Friday :jumping:

And I have had not time this fall to really up-date this thread....but I do have something interesting planned soon! ;)

But in the meantime, I came across this article through a link Chicanerous recently provided and it warmed the cockles of my heart....

Can anyone quess why?

20. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

This is a truly inspirational thread, thank you for starting it....:tu: