1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fit women over age 42 to age 89 on parade

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Justitia, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I would like this thread to be posts of women who are fit after the age of 42. If you run accross some on the net and can copy and paste their picture (before and after would be great!) and their story, would be great. A link to their website would be great as well.

Even if all you can do is provide a link--that would be great.

EDIT-UPDATE: If you are a newbie -- you might want to be sure to look through the whole thread :)

#1 Justitia, Dec 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Lorinde Williams -- age 61

Success Stories Link to site here

Look at the pictures at the bottom of this post!! it is almost too good to believe!!! Shows that its never too late!

Lorinde Williams: It’s Never Too Late

“You’re doing what? You’re too old to do that.” That’s what Lorinde Williams, “Rindy”, a Safeway bakery sales clerk in Puyallup, Wash., now 61, heard when people found out she was going to start lifting weights for the first time in her life at age 59. Two and a half years later, after becoming a second runner-up in the Body-for-LIFE Challenge (a 12-week nutrition, training and supplementation program) and with three bodybuilding competitions under her belt, Rindy still doesn’t let her age, osteoporosis or what other people think stop her. “I’m never too old,” she says. “Age is a state of mind. What people said didn’t bother me at all because I had a goal in mind, and I was going forward.”

Ready to try something new

In May of 2000 Rindy was fed up with her fitness program. She’d been doing aerobic classes for 20 years and had just started a flex class. “I kept throwing my back out and my body shape never changed—I had no muscle development.”

An article in the local paper about Jana and David Patterson’s studio, Personal Training Systems, was the catalyst for Rindy’s new program, which would include supervised strength training and nutrition—two areas Rindy had never focused on. “I was sitting at the kitchen table looking at the photo of Jana in that article and decided, I’m getting in the car, and I’m going to sign up with this girl right this minute. It was a godsend.” Rindy did just that and went in for her first training session the very next day.

Her goal was to “harden up.” “I told Jana I was tired of being like mush. We started with very light weights and progressed as we both felt I was ready. I knew I could do it because I had the mindset. I had a real drive to be there.” Rindy also wanted to set an example for women of all generations, including her daughter, Shaun-Dee, who is 26. “I hoped I could inspire my daughter to start working out, too. And because not many people go in to a gym at this age, I wanted to show ladies it can be done, no matter what.”

Rindy was so “pumped” that getting herself to the gym and doing her workouts wasn’t ever a problem. But eating six small meals a day was hard for her at first. “I thought I was going to blow up!” she laughs. “But I didn’t, because I was burning fat with the weights and the cardio. If you don’t take in enough protein and carbs and eat the right kinds of foods, you can’t build anything. You have to have fuel for your engine.”

Turning a negative into a positive

When Rindy wanted to start increasing the weight she lifted, Jana suggested she have her bone density checked because Jana had noticed a curve in Rindy’s spine. Rindy was due for a physical anyway. “When the doctor looked at me he said, ‘You’re the healthiest looking specimen I’ve had in this office forever, I can’t believe your bone density is so low.’,” Rindy says. “It was 50 percent of what it should be.”

Rindy responded by telling him she would make it better. “It’s recommended that women with osteoporosis work out with free weights, so he was in favor of the weight lifting,” she says. Even though the doctor also prescribed medication, Rindy didn’t fill the prescription. Instead, she became even more dedicated to her strength training and overall health and fitness. “I was determined to keep from becoming a stoop-over old lady before my time and resolved to turn the negative osteoporosis diagnosis into something positive for myself without having to use prescription drugs.”

Jana was so impressed with Rindy’s unrelenting upbeat attitude and determination, she suggested Rindy enter the Body-for-LIFE Challenge. At the end of her 12-week Challenge, in April of 2001, Rindy had reduced her body fat from 29.3 percent to 17 percent; her weight from 127 pounds to 121 pounds; and the size of her jeans from a 10/12 to a 5.

But the number Jana feels is most important—and impressive—is Rindy’s gain of 11 pounds of lean mass. “She actually accomplished this while becoming smaller in size,” Jana explains. “As her trainer, this was the goal foremost in my mind for her because of the research on osteoporosis and strength training for bone mass regeneration. It’s very important for all women to understand that gaining lean mass is a good thing!”
    When Rindy learned she won Second Runner-Up in the Women Age 50+ category of the Challenge, she was “floored”, especially when she realized it’s a worldwide contest. “I’m a person from Puyallup. I’m 61 years old. I work at Safeway. Who would have thought?”

And her doctor was floored when she came back in for her six-month follow-up. She had increased her bone density by 5 percent, which Rindy says, according to her doctor was quite unusual—especially since she did it without medication.

Taking it to the stage

But Rindy didn’t stop there. Shoulder surgery in July of 2001 kept her out of the gym for a few weeks, but soon she was back at it. And with Jana and David’s encouragement and the support of the entire gym, as well as her daughter, she began entering bodybuilding competitions in September of 2001, placing second in her first one. “I’ve never been one to stand up in front of hundreds of people in a two-piece bathing suit—I was this quiet, mousy girl in school. But I had a great support system and once I saw that my body could take on such shape by lifting weights, I had no problem getting on stage.”

Rindy says her transformation has been much more than just physical, though. “I developed a big attitude. I can hold my own. Getting stronger on the outside has made me stronger on the inside.”
    At her last check-up in May of 2002, the doctor told Rindy she’d done so well at increasing her bone density that she didn’t have to come back to see him again for two years.

Rindy’s wish to inspire her daughter also came true. “She’s my hero,” Shaun-Dee says. Shaun-Dee now goes to the gym four to five days a week. And when their busy schedules coincide, mother and daughter work out together. “It’s a good way to keep in touch,” Rindy says. “It’s a bonding time.”

Rindy plans to continue hitting the gym and competing in bodybuilding events for as long as she can. “Some people can’t understand why I still pursue this. If you stop to think about it, it’s a lot cheaper to go to a gym than to pay hospital bills or to lay around with broken bones. If you don’t have your health—it doesn’t matter how much money in the world you have—you don’t have anything. And if you don’t take care of yourself, nobody else is going to do it for you.”

By sharing her story with others, Rindy hopes women of all ages see anything is possible with a positive outlook and focus. “I want to break the mold for women over 50. If we don’t step up to the plate, how are we going to know if we can hit the ball?”

“No matter what the obstacle, be it your age or even a medical condition, keep sight of your goal. My intention is to use myself as an example to show it is never too late to start improving yourself!”

Rindy’s workout program

Cardio:
    45 to 60 minutes on the elliptical trainer five days a week
    Keep in mind, Rindy built up to this. “The first time I got on the machine, after five minutes, I was totally out of wind. I thought, ‘45 minutes? That’ll be the day.’”

Weight training:
    Rindy slowly increased her weights under the supervision of her trainer.

Monday
    Legs/Abs:
    Leg presses: 5 sets of 15 to 8 reps, 50 to 225 pounds
    Squats: 5 sets of 15 to 6 reps, 70 to 125 pounds
    Leg extensions: 4 sets of 15 to 6 reps, 50 to 70 pounds
    Leg curls: 4 sets of 15 to 8 reps, 60 to 80 pounds
    Calves, standing: 3 sets of 15 to 12 reps, 140 to 160 pounds
    Calves, seated: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Cable crunches: 2 sets of 25 reps, 60 pounds
    Swiss ball crunches: 2 sets of 25 reps

Tuesday
    Back/Triceps:
    Assisted pull-ups: 4 sets of 15 to 10 reps
    Supported T-bar rows: 4 sets of 12 to 6 reps, 20 to 25 pounds
    Cable rows: 4 sets of 12 to 6 reps, 60 to 70 pounds
    Tricep dumbbell extensions: 3 sets of 15 to 12 reps, 15 to 20 pounds
    One-arm kickbacks: 3 sets of 15 reps, 5 to 8 pounds

Wednesday
    Chest/Biceps/Abs:
    Bench presses: 4 sets of 15 to 6 reps, 45 to 65 pounds
    Dumbbell incline bench: 3 to 4 sets of 8 reps, 25 to 27.5 pounds
    Smith machine incline bench presses: 4 sets of 10 to 6 reps, 50 to 60 pounds
    Dumbbell flat flyes: 3 sets, 15 to 17.5 pounds
    Preacher curls, superset with concentration curls: 6 sets total of 15 to 6 reps, 15 to 20 pounds
    Cable crunches: 2 sets of 25 reps, 60 pounds
    Swiss ball crunches: 2 sets of 25 reps

Friday
    Shoulders:
    Dumbbell shoulder presses: 4 sets of 15 to 7 reps, 15 to 22.5 pounds
    Upright rows: 4 sets of 15 to 8 reps, 22.5 to 42.5 pounds
    Dumbbell shrugs: 4 sets of 25 to 30 reps, 25 pounds
    Dumbbell front and side raises: 3 sets of 10 reps, 8 to 5 pounds

Rindy’s food program

Breakfast:
    1 cup cooked oatmeal or 1 slice whole-wheat toast (sprayed with olive oil before toasting)
    1 cup egg whites fried in a light spray of cooking oil or ½ cup cottage cheese
    Green tea

Snack:
    Nutrition shake blended with strawberries, 1 tablespoon flax seed oil, ice and water

Lunch:
    4 pieces chicken breast tenders
    Green salad with fat-free dressing
    Green tea

Snack:
    Nutrition shake blended with strawberries, 1 tablespoon flax seed oil, ice and water

Dinner:
    4 pieces of chicken or 1 can of tuna mixed with a big bowl of green salad
    1 cup vegetables, vinegar and oil
    Decaf herbal tea

Snack:
    All-natural peanut butter spread on two oatmeal cookies

Attached Files:

#2 Justitia, Dec 12, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Carolyne Culverhouse 51+

Her site doesn't state her age but she was champion for women over 51+

Really exciting to see what she could do! Look at before and after pictures at bottom of this post.

See her link here

Carolyn Culverhouse: A Desire to Change

After years of feeling trapped in losing a battle with her weight—and hitting over the 200-pound mark—Carolyn Culverhouse, a pediatric nurse from Wilmington, North Carolina, knew a change was needed. “I knew I desired to be healthy,” she says. “That desire burned inside me and motivated me to make all the changes necessary to succeed.”

She started by entering the Body-for-LIFE Challenge, a 12-week nutrition, training and supplementation program. But she didn’t stop there. After completing three consecutive Challenges, she became the 2001 Grand Champion (women age 51+). But that still wasn’t the end of it for Carolyn; she went on to complete two more Challenges.

“I stayed in the Challenges until my body was where I wanted it to be,” Carolyn says. “I wanted to see the muscles in my legs and wear a swimsuit; something I had not worn in eight years.”

In her quest to wear a size 8, Carolyn surpassed her expectations. She went from 41.5 percent body fat to 18 percent; 223 pounds to 137 pounds; and a size 20 to a size 4. “My confidence level is through the roof, and that smile in my after pictures says that without a word.”

The will to succeed
    Once deciding to transform her body, Carolyn became ill. “My body swelled to the point where I couldn’t wear my size 20 clothing, and my blood pressure was 190/109.” Her doctor said she had a rare disease from earlier cases of bronchitis and pneumonia. Though shocked and frightened, Carolyn was determined to accomplish her fitness goals. “I changed from being scared to saying, ‘I’m going to be OK. I’m going to win the Challenge. I’m going to live,’” Carolyn says.

On a mission
    The beginning of Carolyn’s training was a struggle—she was scared she would hurt herself and embarrassed to look at herself in the mirror. “I was a sweaty, red-faced, 223-pound woman in an extra large T-shirt that wouldn’t fit over my 51-inch hips.” Leaving puddles of sweat on the floor, Carolyn thought she should apologize to everyone at the gym. Then one day she realized, “I was on a mission—sorry everyone, you’ll just have to get over the view or turn your heads—I’m going to do this with all I have.”

Taking control
    At first, Carolyn did not give up any food, but on her free day she binged on junk food; food she craved all week. “One day I did a calorie count on my free day of 8,000!,” she admits. “It took me two to three days to recover from days like that.” The momentary enjoyment was not worth the suffering, and Carolyn knew enough was enough. “I began to eat more protein and vegetables, drank a gallon of water a day, and I limited my salt intake. Now I enjoy my free day, but I don’t live for it.” She also started taking protein bars, nutrition shakes and food on her nutrition plan to work, the movies and friend’s homes. Carolyn kept telling herself that eating healthy and working out was like climbing a mountain, “the closer I get to the peak, the harder it is. Give up now, and I’ll miss the panoramic view from the top. The top is the thrill you can’t know until you get there.”

To motivate herself through each workout, Carolyn relied on positive self-talk. “When I would do my cardio I would visualize climbing a mountain and reaching the peak, or running in marathon and winning,” Carolyn says. “I always told myself I was having fun exercising.”

Rewards for life
    Completing five Challenges successfully has brought many rewards to Carolyn. Before, she would get winded bringing groceries up two flights of stairs or running for the phone. She’s now bursting with more energy, and she’s stronger at work. “My attitude has become more positive, I continue to live a healthy lifestyle, I have more confidence, and I’m more outgoing.” Carolyn’s biggest reward was having her spirit of adventure return and having enough energy to act on it. “I’ve returned back to horseback riding, kayaking, biking and roller blading,” she says. “I have spent some time learning how to apply make-up, restyling my hair and shopping for new clothes. It’s like coming to life again only with a healthier body than before. My friends say I’m 51 going on 15.”

Carolyn’s workout schedule
    Carolyn does upper body on Monday and Friday, and lower body on Wednesday and then rotates each week. She does reps of 12, 10, eight, six and 12. She then does one set of 12 reps of a different exercise for the same muscle group. Her cardio and ab days are on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Upper body
    Dumbbell incline presses: 15, 20, 25, 30 and 25 pounds per hand
    Dumbbell flyes: 25 pounds with a spotter

Assisted pull-ups: 140, 130, 120, 110 and 120 pounds
    Wide-grip lat pulldowns: 75 pounds

Bent over front raises: 8, 10, 12, 15 and 12 pounds per hand
    Lateral raises: 12 pounds per hand with assistance

Concentrated biceps curls: 15, 15, 20, 25 and 20 pounds per hand
    Preacher curls: 20 pounds per hand with assistance

Cable extensions: 50, 55, 60, 65, 60 and 12 pound per hand
    Lying triceps: 12 pound per hand

Lower body
    Leg presses: 275, 295, 315, 335 and 315 pounds
    Leg extensions: 105 pounds

Straight leg deadlifts: 30, 35, 40, 45, 40 and 20 pounds
    Dumbbell lunges: 20 pounds each hand

Standing calf raises: 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 pounds
    Seated calf raises: 90 pounds

Cardio:
    30 minutes of cardio on an elliptical cross-trainer, treadmill or she climb stairs

Abs:
    Reps of 12, 10, eight, six and 12 for declined sit-ups, hanging knee raises, ball crunches and floor crunches

Carolyn’s nutrition plan

7:30 a.m. Breakfast
    Egg-white omelet with fat-free cheese, tomato
    1 teaspoon jelly on whole-wheat toast

10:00 a.m. Snack
    Low-carb ready-to-drink shake
    Raw carrots

12:30 p.m. Lunch
    Low-fat cottage cheese
    Fresh fruit
    Salad with fat-free dressing

2:30 p.m. Snack
    1 tablespoon all-natural peanut butter on whole-wheat toast

4:30 p.m. Snack

6:30 p.m. Dinner
    Chicken or steak
    Vegetable
    Sweet potato

Attached Files:

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Mary at 54 years old

Mary has been working out for 15 years so there are no photos of her "before." However, look how great her stomach is. :eek: She's actually seeking to be a fitness model. :claphigh:

This is what she says at this web site

There are a number of female fitness models on this page so you have to scroll down a bit to find Mary.

Mary Aspiring Fitness Model and NABBA USA Gold Cup Masters Female Body Builder Class Winner
    Hi-
    I am a dedicated to the fitness lifestyle and want to become a fitness model. I'm proud to say that I am 54 years old and the mother of two college age sons. I have been weight training for 15 years. I believe that the fitness lifestyle keeps me young! In 1996, I entered the NABBA USA Gold Cup Classic in Anaheim, CA and placed 1st in the Masters Female Body Builder category. I know that I can be an inspiration to women over the age of 45, who want to improve the way they look, but more importanly the way they feel. I can be reached at IronMOM3@aol.com
    Thanks,
    Mary

Attached Files:

5. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Nice thread! It is true it is NEVER too late! Other then skin, which looses its elasticity and 'shine' from youth, there is no reason anyone of any (post pubescent) age can't have the body of an athletic 20 year old!

And the health benefits / LIFE benefits (improved quality of life) mean everyone should do it!!

-Allen

6. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

The Feb 2005 issue of Oxygen magazine features women in fitness who are over 40. It's great motivation to keep up with the nutrition and fitness over a lifetime. :tucool:

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks for the reference --here is a link

Thanks for the reference--here is a link to an online-excerpt: Link

8. dream

dream Well-Known Member

This is great thread. I never met many women over 45 staying fit and
    georgeous.....Please find more examples ! I'll look too :nod:

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That would be great!! :tu:

And welcome.

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Pat Z -- 44 years old What a transformation!

Wow! Look at what she did in 12 weeks! And look at her expression on her face before and after! Jeremy Likness is right. It is a whole life transformation.

Here is a link to an interview with her: http://www.bodychangers.com/patz_inter.shtml

Scroll to the bottom of this post to see her pictures. Read the following to see what she has to say!

Name: Pat Z Beginning Weight: 164
    Program: Body for Life Starting BF%: 27%
    Transformation Time: 11.5 weeks Ending BF%: 21%
    E-Mail:PKZimmer@aol.com

Supplements Used:

Cytovol, Betagen
    Myoplex Shakes
    Myoplex Deluxe Bars
    BioChem Ultimate Lo Carb Whey Protein
    Country Life Maxine Multiple Vitamin
    Tips From Pat:

Stay as organized as possible (workouts, meals, etc) and plan as much as you can in advance.
    Always keep a bar or "legal" snack with you, so you are not without food when you need it.
    Eat 5-6 small meals a day and drink at least a gallon of water.
    Keep records of your workouts and meals.
    Do not rely on the scales for your progress.
    TAKE PICTURES!!!!
    If you have a "slip" don't let it become a full blown fall. Get right back on the wagon with your next meal.
    Read as much as possible about weight training, fitness and weight loss.
    Remember your body is unique and what works for some, might not work for you.
    Other Comments:
    Get to know what your body needs and don't compare your progress with others. Just be patient and results will happen. Try not to get discouraged and if you need help, don't be afraid to reach out to others for help.

Attached Files:

• patz.jpg
      patz.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
  11. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Great Topic Justitia.

Some months ago a female friend of mine who is 45 and slowly putting on weight (though she still looks fine) confided in me that she would like to lose some weight. I gave her some advice and encouragement and wrote her up a program. Everytime I see her I ask how its going and she keeps making excuses (in between gulps of wine) that its too hard at her age and shes too tired etc.

Well, I'm going to make sure she reads every inch of this thread and it might get her into to gear. The transformations are amazing! And to think my friend is only 45, she has no excuses now! :db: :bb: :nod:

12. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You also might suggest that she post in both this forum and one of the others.

Just ask her to post how she feels: the lack of time, the lack of energy, the feeling of uselessness, etc. She will hear from many people who feel exactly the same way, young, old ,and in-between, male and female. Just hearing that can bring solace and may be a little motivation. After all, one can't change one's habits completely overnight. It has to be done by accretion.

Getting a heart rate monitor and just proposing a goal of trying to walk 20 minutes once a week at a pace that will reach 65%-75% of her maximum heart rate (MHR = 226 minus age for females) is a great way to start. It's the maximum fat-burner rate and an easy walk rate. It may take some time to have any degree of regularity. If she achieves that, (and it doesn't have to be perfectly once a week, just at the point where it is more often than not) she can then aim to either increase the walk to 30 minutes or to doing it twice a week. It is just to start.

Desire to do more will come naturally later. And this site is a great place to browse to find what she might like to add over time if she wants to. And not to give up hope. Just start with a little piece-- goal of eventually a 20 minute walk once a week.

Tell her we all wish her :gl:

#12 Justitia, Jan 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  13. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Don't Fret Justitia, in a few months, you'll be one of those before/after examples YOURSELF as you see above.

:nod:

:tu:

~SC~

14. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

15. daDUDE

daDUDE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

daDUDE -- :D

Didn't know if I should insert that big pic in here or not.

Lynn looks awesome doesn't she? I met her a few times before, she's very cool and very nice.

17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes the picture is most welcome--and yes she looks awsome. Thanks, Fast, for posting it. :tu:

18. AHealthyNewMe

AHealthyNewMe Well-Known Member

Hello...I just happened upon this BB. I'm glad I did! The success stories are very inspirational. :d_smile:

19. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

Wow Lynn looks great, I remember her from my first bfl challenge and she didn't have a six pack even in her after photo. SHe really did an amazing job.

20. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

When was your BFL challenge?