1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First Weights!!!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Luke.S, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

Awite people, I went out and baught my first weights yesturday :D and i herd off my mate today that lifting at an early age, 14 in my case, can realy fuck you up. Could you guys please shed some light in this area.

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of debate about this over the years. From what I've been told by a lot respected people is that lifting is very healthy for people of your age as long as you dont lift too heavy. Keep the weight reasonably light and keep the reps at 12-15.

If I were you I would search the net for programs designed for people of your age just to be sure your not overtraining.

Marcus

3. HunkOLove

HunkOLove Well-Known Member

4. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

Waheyy, nice one son :D

5. justingodin

justingodin Well-Known Member

I wish I would have started when I was 14. It kills me thinking of the years I wasted being a lazy overweight teen. I'm turning 20 this year. Can you imagine being 20 and already having 5-6 years of lifting experience under your belt?

6. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

Would you guys say benching 65lbs at 20 reps at a time is overdoing it?

7. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

Alrite, i'm 6.1, 12.10 stone.

8. djerickd

djerickd Well-Known Member

what is that in U.S. pounds?

9. wolfhalen

wolfhalen Well-Known Member

Depends on your maximum. Most people nowdays do a heavy weight less times. so if you can bench 100 then I would do 80 something for 8-12 reps. You can also switch between higher volume (what you are doing) and higher intensity (what I just suggested) in order to break through a training plateau.

Let us know also how many times a week you are benching. You shouldn't be doing that every day, or even every other day. I would give the muscles at least 4-5 days to repair, even longer if you hammer them hard. Although your recovery time may be shorter because of young age.

Keep in mind that if you try to blast the muscles every day and be like Arnold (even he doesn't) you will just destroy the repair that is underway, and waste your effort, or worse injure yourself.

Read the teenbodybuilding site they suggested, and good luck!

10. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

Im 15 man. We can share tips and whatnot about our training. You and I can be those 2 kids over at johnstonefitness.com that are totally ripped :db: .
    "What?....Their only teenagers?"
    "Yea, like 14 and 15"
    We're gonna own :jumping: :spaz:

11. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

:D Ownige in the making.

12. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

169 i THINK. 14 to a Stone. Sombody help me.

13. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

I try to bench twice a week. I also try to give my body a little work out every night. We're talking little though.

14. Luke.S

Luke.S Well-Known Member

One more question. Is it true that when you starve you self you loose muscle then fat, if so would you loose more muscle than fat?.

15. wolfhalen

wolfhalen Well-Known Member

Two times a week is probably alright for now.

I used to do full body workouts 3 times a week, early on. Back then I couldn't build much intensity anyhow, and was not even used to the pain. Now I need to work a body part only once a week, because I have become better at really hammering them.

Yes your body will consume muscle during starvation.

It "attacks" muscle first because it can further lower the metabolism by losing muscle.

You should not starve yourself ever, no matter what your goals are, it's counter productive. It seems that so many people think thin = healthy, and the best way to reach it is starvation. They completely miss the real objective, which is eat plenty, of the right foods.

good luck

16. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

If you starve yourself -

you lose muscle as much as fat, becuase muscle is a easier source of energy for your body to use, but basicly you'll run out of meaningfull muscle before you lose the fat

your body starts to expect less so it preserves even more fat and uses less, meaning you'll end up eating less and putting on more weight, becuase your body has slowed it's metabolism.

Your muscles don't grow after training becuase they have nothing to use to grow, so you'll train harder and get weaker.

Basicly, starving yourself is a bad idea.