1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First time lifting - how long till sorness/stiffness is gone

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by raldrik, Feb 12, 2004.

1. raldrik

raldrik Well-Known Member

Well I did my first upper body workout tuesday and today I am still real stiff. How long should this take to go away the first time and is it normal?

2. zeurath

zeurath Well-Known Member

Yeah it's fully normal, especially if you pushed yourself pretty hard. From own experience the soreness reaches it peak 2 days and then fades out (takes everything from 3 days to 5-6 days for me to be completly gone). If the soreness / stiffness last longer than a week I would check it out, because then you probably have pulled something :(

3. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Yeah that pretty much sums it up for me. I sure do love that feeling though, knowing that you did a good workout. :db:

Marcus

4. zeurath

zeurath Well-Known Member

Totally agree, I love the feeling. Kinda annyoing tho when you hardly can't get up from the toilet seat because you did way too many lunges two days ago :o

5. ibrewale

ibrewale Well-Known Member

I've recently started lifting myself and I found my soreness peaked about the 2nd day, like zeurath said. My legs though, were even more sore than the upper body, but the soreness subsided for the most part in 3 days or so, maybe 4.

6. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

lol that problem definately sounds familiar :)

Marcus

7. wolfhalen

wolfhalen Well-Known Member

Another thing is, don't work the sore muscles until they've healed. You waste all your effort this way, and will eventually give up.

Reason I mention this is someone told me once to work sore muscles because that's the only way they get better. lol Morons are not good to take advice from. :)

8. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

i agree with the others, a week would be a reasonable time period the first few times you really work a muscle. I personally did my first real hard bicep and forearms workout on monday and my arms are still killing me.

I also agree you should be generous with your resting periods when you first start up, forget 2 or 3 times a week for any muscle part, once is enough for me. if you are planning to work a group more than once, make sure you pass it up if it's still aching when the day comes around.

9. raldrik

raldrik Well-Known Member

Yea I am doing arms/chest tuesday, legs thursday. That is about all my lifting is right now and am realy concentrating on the cardio since I am 230lbs - 5'10".