1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First time Dead-Lifting today

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by ucbgsr, Mar 14, 2005.

1. ucbgsr

ucbgsr Well-Known Member

WEll, i've been in the gym for the past 2 years. I do everything except ive never dead-lifted. For the most part here in my college's gym, barely anyone squats, let alone does deads. They mostly crowd around the benchs and ez-curl stations, *big surprise*

Well, I checked out exrx.net for proper form and tried it out today. I started off at 135 just to warm up and see what it was like, and ended up at 255x4. Not too bad for a first time I suppse, I guess my squating and back hyperextensions helped my core strength quite a bit

But yeah, they felt great. I wont be skiping them any longer :tu:

2. ellipticer

ellipticer Well-Known Member

This is what you end up looking like if you don't leave the bench / curl stations:

[​IMG]

ps. nice job on your first deads!

3. rhyn

rhyn Well-Known Member

Yeah eminem is pecs and bone :p I'm doing deadlifts for first time tomarrow too on the max-ot 6-month for wednsday but I switched my leg days from monday to friday because I did my legs on friday last week :rolleyes: I looked up the form, hopefully their as good as they seem for the back.

4. ellipticer

It's hard to notice lean gains on your back but my posture has gotten much better from my few months of deadlifting.

5. steven

steven Well-Known Member

Deadlifting is an awesome exercise, even though it can be damn tiring.

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

Congratulations of finding the dead lift! Lifting 255 lbs is already impressive but you'll find that you'll move up very quickly.

Let me give you a little tip on form. It's really important to keep the bar close to the body. A lot of people get bloody shins from scraping them with the knurling on the bar. That's how close you want to get the bar to your body! I got tired of the bloody shins and started wearing sweat pants on dead lift day.

I like to think of the dead lift as two separate lifts. The first half of the lift, until the bar is about even with your knees, is done with the legs. Your back takes over from there to complete the lift.

7. Bawl

Bawl Well-Known Member

Exactly. Another variant I like to include to switch things up is rack deadlift. Basically, use the support beams on a squat rack so the bar starts just below the knees. You can pull heavier weights, and really work the back. ;)

ucbgsr, you just opened the door to a larger world....congrats.

8. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

lol I was gonna post and ask about that, Ive been grinding up my knee and leg with the bar cause its so close...Good to know though.

9. ucbgsr

ucbgsr Well-Known Member

man my lower back and hammys were sore today :D

10. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

i find it gets me most in the centre upper back, nothing in the hams, and maybe a bit in the butt or quads..

11. rhyn

rhyn Well-Known Member

I still feel it in my back...NOT MY SPINE..but my lower back :lol: , it's good to know I am working it though..tried to keep perfect form for every rep.

12. ellipticer

If you don't feel the burn in your glutes and hams, and you want to, just straighten your legs a bit!