1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First look at the new JSF BodyShop™ web site!

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by John Stone, Oct 26, 2009.

1. mLU

mLU Active Member

Yes cant wait either!

2. PTre

PTre Active Member

Thanks a bunch John.

Finally an online tool which includes everything.

I have another question. Are there any plans to share certain meals and foods? I am not living in the USA and I assume there will be a lot of people who would like to see a growing database of foreign products. I myself could easily copy some product-data for my favourite stuff and if everyone contributes we will pretty quickly have a gigantic database of even the most seldom products on the shelves.

The problem with "trusted values" could be solve with a rating system or something. Might be a big thing to implement into the BodyShop but maybe for a later patch this could be something to keep in mind.

Thanks again John - I am looking forward to using BodyShop. :tu:

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I was going to ask this too. I record my weight in KG but my tape measurements in inches :D

4. Super89Rex

Super89Rex Well-Known Member

Absolutely! The nutrition database contains many measurements depending on the food. Gm's and Oz's is available for most foods along with measurements like cups, units, pieces or whatever is appropriate for that food.

You can even create custom foods and define the measurement appropriate to that food; other users can then copy your nutrition logs along with those custom foods.

5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

:tucool:

6. unclemac

unclemac Well-Known Member

Apologise first for my enghlish is gettin worst every year, need to live in a enghlish speaking country again soon.
    The new place looks incredible, will allow any person to track the progres is making in every aspect of their health. Cant wait to use it and see how far can i get.

7. Rabid

Rabid Active Member

looks awesome. really looking forward to using it. the progress photo slideshow sounds amazing.

8. samarik

samarik Well-Known Member

Let me start of by saying, amazing idea!! All of the info any one's going to need will be all available at the same site... nutrition..excercise...log...support..
    Anyways, while you've got the ideas right on... how about making it a bit more appealing?? I understand dark blue is your "the colour" but i think it will be more appealing if it was given a colour job(lighter colours?). Also those arrows on the left side, don't work.. just some of my observation..
    But other than that... ty for all the hard work and good luck, will be definitely using Bodyshop.

9. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

What we're thinking of doing is allowing users to search user-submitted food items as an option. Obviously we can't guarantee the information, and duplicates with slightly different names could be a problem.

We're in a feature lock for version 1 right now, but we'll certainly be talking about this for version 2. Thanks for the great ideas!

I like those arrows. :lol:

Seriously though, we recognize that everyone has different tastes, and that's why we created a theme sub-system. What you're seeing in these screenshots is the default theme, but we're going to create other themes (including a lighter one). Changing themes is a simple matter of clicking the "Select Theme" link in the control strip, and selecting the one that you like best.

Further, after version 1 of BodyShop is released, Matt is going to write an application that will allow users create their own BodyShop themes! We're even going to have theme design contests with prizes, and the winners' themes added to the officially supported set of themes.

Thanks for the feedback!

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Closed beta status update from today's blog:

I'd like to give everyone a brief status update on JSF BodyShop™. We're finally at the point where our internal testing is showing a bug-free system! This is a pretty big milestone for us, and one that we are very proud of. Any remaining bugs will be unearthed and squashed during the closed beta phase. There are still some relatively minor tasks that we must complete before launching the closed beta; however, more significantly, we have elected to make some rather non-trivial last minute changes to the exercise program/workout logging section of the site. During our testing of this area we found that there were some shortcomings, and we knew we could make it better. These changes are big enough that they will require a period of internal testing and refinement. We're hopeful that we can complete these tasks in time to launch the beta on the originally projected date of January 25th, but please understand that it may take a bit longer. Matt and I both work full-time jobs, and there are only so many hours in the day. No one is more excited to see this project launched than we are, but after all this work we're not going to put it out there until we believe it's ready.

11. samarik

samarik Well-Known Member

Awesome! Just what i was expecting :tucool:
    How are you guys keeping up all this with your full time jobs?? incredible job guys.... looking forward to it.

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Quick BodyShop update, reproduced from today's blog:

Matt has completed work on the drastically improved Training Program/Workout Log section of the site! Over the next few days we will be thoroughly testing and debugging this major update to the software. We realized from the get-go that this last-minute upgrade would slightly delay the launch of the closed beta program, but we're 100% positive that it was the right choice.

The list of items that we need to complete before launching the closed beta is growing very short. As mentioned above, we are going to miss the originally projected closed beta launch date of January 25th, but not by much.

Bronze+ members, please keep your eyes peeled for the BodyShop beta invite package. We'll be sending the details by email very soon.

By the way, I've been working on a lighter theme/skin for BodyShop called "Open Air". This theme should satisfy those who don't care for the darker blue skin shown in the screenshots I posted a few days ago.

I also made some graphical and layout enhancements to the food log section, which I felt looked boxy and a rather stark. Here's the latest screenshot (using the default theme/skin):

20100123_food_logs.jpg

13. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think I'm looking forward to using the food log the most.

So we'll be able to enter our own food items, as well as select from a list of stored ones?

John will all of your food data be in there?

14. Super89Rex

Yes, we have a database of over 7000 food items we actually got direct from the USDA, including meats, cereals, sauces and every type of food category under the sun.

Users will be able to search by keyword, category or alphabetically. And yes, users can create their own "custom" foods and use them in their nutrition logs. The cool thing about this is say if John has a certain food he eats, you can literally copy his nutrition log for any given day and the system will make a copy of his custom foods for you.

Thanks!

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

GH, it sure will... and not just a template of a week's worth of meals or anything like that. Logging my meals on BodyShop is so fast and easy that I've gone back to logging every single calorie, just like I used to back in the day.

I've been logging all my meals on BodyShop since January 4th, 2010 (the first day of my cut).

16. kjbnz

kjbnz Active Member

- how do I get access to the "closed beta" for the Feb 100 challenge?? (pretty please)

I'm keen to start logging my meals online (to save from carrying around a spreadsheet on a USB stick)

thanks heaps!

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

The closed beta is limited to Bronze or higher JSF members, so you will need to upgrade your account if you want to gain access before the site is officially launched.

18. kjbnz

kjbnz Active Member

I had done that (upgraded to bronze) before I posted this question. :D

by the way, sterling work on the site.

19. Super89Rex

Thanks! We are approaching the BETA very fast now; It's going to be an exciting time for everyone involved. Keep an eye in your inbox for the BETA invitation from John in the next few days. You're going to be blown away!

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

As you guys can see, Matt and I are now sporting the new BodyShop progress banners in our signatures. Progress and goals are updated on the banner in real-time based on your personal goals and data at BodyShop. :)

As Matt mentioned, we're just about ready for the closed beta. I expect to be sending out the beta invite packages to Bronze and higher supporting members on Monday or Tuesday. Please be sure to read the materials carefully.

We look forward to seeing you there!