1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First look at the new JSF BodyShop™ web site!

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by John Stone, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Back on Track

Back on Track Active Member

Touché !

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    You can add some running calculators, the most valuable tells you pace/time/distance (enter two pieces of data and it provides the third).
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml

There is another one out there which will "predict" your times for longer (or shorter) distances based on previous data (for example, I can run a mile in X:XX, therefore I should be able to run five miles in X:XX).
    http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/rp.php

Actually, that second site has a BUNCH of good calculators. :tu:

3. boardy

boardy Active Member

I was looking through the screenshots again and noticed the log section. Is there anyway that could be linked in some way so when a new log is posted, if you have a journal on the forum, that thread is automatically updated with the contents of the log. Could do the same thing with workout logs too I guess, so each time you do a workout it automatically gets updated to the journal thread as a new post.

I've seen this sort of thing done with bots on a tech news site, where a bot would create a new forum thread so a discussion could be had about that particular news item, or article. Whether it would be possible to do that here would depend on the way things are coded I guess.

Just an idea anywho :-)

Adam

4. Super89Rex

Super89Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions guys, I try my best to get as many of the online calculators built into the site as possible. Keep in mind when we first launch the site, there will still be many features yet to be added.

If any of your suggestions don't make it into the first revision of the site, it may end up in the next site wide update which I imagine will occur every 90 days from launch.

I will continue to monitor this thread and I imagine John will create a separate forum dedicated for BodyShop suggestions.

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Yes, once we enter the closed beta stage I'll create a forum for BodyShop beta testers to provide feedback, bug reports and suggestions. After BodyShop officially launches the BodyShop forum will be opened up to everyone.

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Some of you may have noticed that I've created a new set of forums designed to offer support for the upcoming JSF BodyShop web site. When the JSF BodyShop beta program is launched in the very near future, all of these new forums will be available to those who are participating in the closed beta program (Bronze Supporters or higher initially, JSF Supporters at a later date).

Once we officially open BodyShop to the masses, everyone will have full access to the JSF BodyShop support forums.

We're pretty close now, so expect an email with your invite in the near future! :)

7. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

Can you tell me if the new Bodyshop will offer "true" mobile browsing support? i.e. m. or .mobi to allow browsing from a smartphone?

8. Back on Track

Back on Track Active Member

John, I know it's a complete useless sugestion, but what about changing the colours. IMHO, a lighter colourset would be nice.

9. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Did you know you can change the skin at the bottom of the page? If you scroll all the way down and choose "old school new beat" the text boxes are light and the text is black.

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Apart from saying that full support for mobile devices is something both Matt and I feel is very important, I must leave this specific question for Matt to address in detail.

Not a useless suggestion at all. Actually, this is something I discussed with Matt early on. For version 1 of the software the colors will be similar to the default forum skin (as seen in the BodyShop screenshots); however, I feel that allowing users the ability to chose between multiple "skins" would be a major plus. We'll see if we can work something like that into the next iteration of the software.

I think he was referring to the BodyShop software, and not the forum software.

So there's no misunderstanding: JSF BodyShop is all-new software; it was coded from the ground up specifically, and exclusively, for John Stone Fitness LLC. BodyShop shares no code with the forum software.

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

12. Super89Rex

Mobile support is something John and I have discussed both agree is something which is definitely on the radar. The initial sucess of BodyShop in early 2010 will determine whether or not a mobile app will be developed. As it stands, a fully capable browser is required for BodyShop to function due to the complexities of the site.

If we do decide to go the mobile route, there will be a specific mobile application designed specifically for BodyShop to run on various devices (BlackBerry,iPhone,etc). We have not tested iPhone compatibility on the site so I cannot comment whether the web browser will be able to render the site perfectly.

Either way, if this thing goes well; there will definitely be a mobile app available in the later half of 2010 if not early 2011.

Thanks

13. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Any word when the closed beta will begin? For those of us who plan to be early adopters, it's awfully close to the first of the year.

14. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

i'm chomping at the bit to give it a try! :spaz:

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I can tell you that we're close, but unfortunately there's no way to predict an exact date. Version 1 of the software is done, and now Matt and I are working very hard to identify and fix bugs and functionality issues before we enter the closed beta phase. Believe me, we want to launch ASAP, but we won't put a product out there (even in beta) with known issues. We'll keep you posted.

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Nice. I wish they adopted that attitude at work.

I appreciate the time you put in to make this site valuable.

As an aside, I just finished reading this book,
    FREE: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson
    It's available in audiobook for free from Audible here
    or you can buy it on Amazon for $21.49.

It goes quite in-depth into how to make "free" fit into your business model, and discusses different ways to combine it with nonfree, depending on what your goals are (ie. audience size, reach of message, profit etc.)

If you're a reader (or a listener), I recommend it. :tu:

17. Super89Rex

Every day we get closer and closer to launch, John is right on the money; we want to release a product that will blow everyone away and exceed everyone's expectations; but we want to do it elegantly with as little bugs/issues as possible.

We have been identifying bugs frequently but every day it gets more and more solid and closer to launch. We are both very confident that this product will help everyone meet their fitness goals in a cool and new innovative way. :tu:

18. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Can the Body Shop profiles be kept private like the profiles in the VIP lounge?

Per forum description: Only other V.I.P. members have access to this forum. Search engines can not crawl any of the V.I.P. forums.

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yes, there is a lot of control in that area:

The default is that only your buddies can click through to your profile, but you also have the option to make your profile totally private (hidden even from your buddies) or totally public.

You can also allow your profile to be viewable by other members of any networks you belong to.

On a related note, you can choose to show as "offline" when you're really online (like on the forums).

Another privacy option is you can hide from the "add a buddy" search feature.

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks, Chris! We're really excited about it. :)