1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First look at the new JSF BodyShop™ web site!

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by John Stone, Oct 26, 2009.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

This morning Matt and I would like to give everyone a glimpse of the all-new JSF BodyShop™ web site! Please keep in mind that the site is still under development, so features, functionality and appearance may change. Also, the personal data seen in these screenshots is merely for demonstration purposes and not meant to be accurate.

We may release a video demonstration at some point so you can check out the advanced AJAX features, graphical animations and other enhancements that can not be conveyed in a static screenshot.

As I mentioned in yesterday's daily news update, JSF BodyShop™ is going to be 100% FREE to everyone! The business model is very similar to the forums: advertising and voluntary membership upgrades. Membership upgrades will get you more space for images, video, PMs and a few extra cool features (full details will be released at or before launch), but BodyShop™ will be 100% functional for members who choose to not upgrade their membership. The good news is upgraded memberships will be transparent between the forums and BodyShop™. In other words, if you already have an upgraded membership on the forums, you'll automatically have the same membership level on BodyShop™ (and vice-versa).

[FEBRUARY 2, 2010 UPDATE]: The closed beta program has been launched for Bronze or higher JSF members!

Let's start off with a partial feature list. We'll announce more features in the coming weeks, and a full list of features will be provided as we approach the launch date:

• Create user profiles to track and share your fitness success.​

• Meet others and join an online community.​

• Store and track stats ranging from body fat %, weight, measurements and images.​

• Store and track goals, view goals timelines and see whether those goals have been met.​

• View nutrition information on over 7000+ food items direct from the USDA database or create your own custom food entries. Store and track your caloric, fat, carb and protein intake on a daily basis.​

• Build your own custom exercise programs and routines using the exercise database, or create your own custom exercises.​

• Write a daily log to be displayed for all to see.​

• Use message boards to communicate, using text, images as well as video.​

• Much, much more (this list really is a very small subset of all the features)!​
    Here are some screenshots* along with additional descriptions.

[PLEASE NOTE: These are very early screenshots. The look of BodyShop has changed drastically as development has progressed. Click here for the latest screenshots (posted January 18, 2010)

This is the main BodyShop™ profile page, everyone who has an account on BodyShop™ will get their own profile page, which is also known as a portal. From this page users can see online/offline status, basic information about the user, overall view of their total progress, log entries and more! (1 screenshot)
    BodyShop_Main.jpg

This page allows users to store and track their stats. Information ranging from weight (in kg or lbs, user defined), to body fat percentage as well as progress front and side imagery. Let the software put it all together into an animation that other members can see. (2 screenshots)
    BodyShop_Stats.jpg

BodyShop_Transformation.jpg

This page lets users track and store their goals. Users can enter goals to meet specific body fat percentages and weights. View whether goals have been met or not, as well as view a goal timeline! (2 screenshots)
    BodyShop_Goals.jpg

BodyShop_GoalsTimeline.jpg

Build custom exercise programs using the JSF BodyShop™ exercise database or create your very own custom exercise database. Create supersets, drop sets, pyramids, combos and use both weight lifting and cardio exercises in your routine. (1 screenshot)
    BodyShop_Training.jpg

View exercise information on multiple types of exercises. (1 screenshot)
    BodyShop_ExerciseDB.jpg

View food and nutrition information (complete macronutrient and micronutrient information is provided) on over 7000+ food items with accurate nutritional information direct from the USDA. (2 screenshots)
    BodyShop_FoodTracking.jpg
    BodyShop_FoodDB.jpg

If you have comments or questions, feel free to post them. More information, screenshots and video to come as development progresses!

*All images and logos are registered copyrights or trademarks of John Stone Fitness LLC and/or Upsilon Dynamics. Any and all images are for your own personal use and are not to be re-used,altered or sold under any circumstances.

2. sodomojo

sodomojo Active Member

Looking good!

3. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal
    Bronze Member

Dude this looks awesome!! I cannot wait until it is up and running!

4. Necross

Necross Active Member

Looks good :D Can't wait to try it out.

5. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

6. Scizolt

Scizolt Active Member

Awesome, I can't wait!

7. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Sweet.

8. Back on Track

Back on Track Active Member

Man, it's gonna be huge.
    One question... I don't know if I got the right idea, but it's like a mix of facebook and dailyfit. Is it right?
    what about the forums? will they still be on?

thansk

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I should point out that even after launch existing features will continue to be refined and improved, and new features will be added all the time.

You're on the right track. The idea is improve on all the best features found on sites such as Daily Burn, Fitday, BodySpace and so on, and combine that functionality with lots of cool social networking features. In addition, we've got some incredible stuff planned that none of those sites are doing (I can't go into specifics yet).

Absolutely. BodyShop™ will be an adjunct to the forums, not a replacement for them.

10. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

AWESOME! Any plans for mobile browser accessiblity? That would kick arse on the food logging and workout tracking, or even the ability to import a .csv or something.

Another thing that always bothered me with FitDay was the lack of ability to use a template, or have another category to indicate when things were eaten (or with which meal). You could have reports that showed macronutrient timing, if that is one of your goals.

Just a thought... :)

11. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I agree. The concept is awesome. Seems to combine the best of everything out there. Being able to do so from your phone would increase its usefulness immensely. I don't know if you've already discussed this. I'm not a web developer, so I don't know how much more difficult that is to do, but a mobile version and even apps for iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc. would be really great and take the functionality to the next level.

12. donj02

donj02 Well-Known Member

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Hey guys, thanks for the awesome comments and suggestions so far! :)

I'm in full agreement that a mobile version of BodyShop and perhaps an iPhone app would be really useful. Matt and I briefly discussed some ideas along those lines about a month ago, and I know he is keen on exploring the possibilities. We'll keep you posted! :)

14. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Wow this is an insane amount of content. The exercise and nutrition data alone is huge. It looks very good so far. I envision the portal page to be an instant sig link for every forum member. Kind of like the way ************** did when it started.

It's like you are giving every user the ability to recreate your website documenting their fitness pursuits. For free. that is amazing.

One thing I hope, John, is that you never at any point lose 100% creative and editorial control of this. knowing you I'm sure you won't.

so did I miss the description of the John Stone curl?

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

You mean JSF and the forums? Not a chance. As for BodyShop, Matt and I are partners in this new endeavor and we enjoy a very strong working relationship with a common vision.

It's just a fictional exercise that we put in there to demonstrate that users can add their own custom exercises to the database. Don't take any of the data shown in those screenshots seriously.

16. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

John,

I think I just drooled on my desk. That is AWESOME! :drool::tu::tucool::bow:

CAN'T WAIT! :dreamy:

17. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

This looks great!!! What a welcome addition to a site that has already provided all of us so much!

Great Job John! :tucool::tucool:

18. L33

L33 Active Member

John that kicks a$$!

You beat me to it! I'm about to graduate from Software Engineering in a week and I was going to do something similar to your new site though your ideas completely ripped mine :-)

I've been following your site for a few years and I'm slowly trying to change my life style. Last January and February I took 4 pictures a day and tracked my food and exercise, I was successful though it was really hard and I still have a very long way to go. Man you are one determined guy it takes a lot of courage to do what you've done. Cheers to what you're doing and what you've already accomplished, you're a great role model and it would be great to have a few more friends like you.

As for your new site I can't wait to start using it.
    Thumbs up brother :tu:

19. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Wow that's impressive! Good work Matt and John! :tu:

#19 Chadster, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  20. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

That's fly, John. :nod: