1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First HIIT session

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by solarphoenix, Jul 24, 2009.

1. solarphoenix

solarphoenix Active Member

Weeeeeeell.... I just finished my first HIIT session today. 2 min warmup on stationary bike, then 8 minutes on elliptical machine. I'm not sure if I was doing it right or long enough but heres how it went

30 sec slow
    30 sec all out
    times 8

Im not sure if this was a sufficient HIIT session, as I usually do 30minutes at 10 over my target heart rate which is 158 (ie 168).

But...I can tell you I wanted to throw up after only 8 minutes and I was sweating like a pig. My heart rate was about 190-200 on all out sessions.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Starting out, you probably would do a bit better taking longer rest intervals. So go all out maybe :30, then recover for 1:30 or so. That way you can put more effort in the hard interval.

Once you start to get in a little better shape for HIIT, then you can shorten the RI. Probably won't take that long.

3. solarphoenix

solarphoenix Active Member

thanks mannish

4. Geo2007

Geo2007 Active Member

I actually can not do HIIT other way :). Whenever i see people saying that they doing 30 seconds all out and then 30 seconds rest I am deeply amazed. How do you people do it?
    I do 30 seconds all out and then i need at least a minute for my heart rate to come back to where it was. And i can not it more than 4-5 times. But may be i am just old (35) :)

5. Mr.P

Mr.P Active Member

just a quick question on HIIT cardio, if youre on a treadmill are you suppose to be doing a walking pace or a moderate/light jog pace during the rest/slow sessions? ive read both from different sources and just wanted to get a difinitive answer so that i do it correctly. TIA

6. gray

gray Active Member

In addition to 30/30 second intervals I do 3/3 minute intervals. I'm not doing intervals anymore though, they drain me too much to keep up with more important training.

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I would just call 3:00/3:00 interval training. Not high intensity. Fine, but different.