1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

First cycling event completed!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by Derwinator, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

Happy to report that I've knocked out my first cycling event on Saturday! A buddy suggested that we sign up for the ride after we got rained out last fall for a century ride. The routes offered were between a 10 mile "fun ride" and an 85 mile ride through the rolling hills of south central Texas in the LBJ state park. We started on the 85 mile route with a beautiful, cloudless day and mild temps. Only 10 miles in my buddy's bike flats and we spend the next 15 mins as his first tube blows out on inflation and he discovers his rim tape isn't staying put. With his only spare tube installed he rolled ahead and stopped at the next rest stop to find a mechanic to help correct the problem.

I found myself rolling on the rest of the ride but like all other riders was facing tough cross and head winds along with the climbs. I felt strong and powered on but was concerned about the return trip. I finally reached the point where I had to commit to the 85 mile ride or could divert and complete a metric century 62 miler. I was already feeling the fatigue from that wind and decided to make the switch. Boy, was I glad that I did - the route back was mostly into the wind with lots of long climbs. I made sure I was consuming enough Gatorade, water and food along the way to keep my energy up. When I finally rolled in I found that I managed just over 18 mph avg speed which I felt was doing really well for my level of ability. My buddy was cooling his heels as he finished the 42 mile route ahead of me.

I am definitely looking forward to my next cycling event and getting to the point of being ready to complete my first century ride! Thanks for all of your tips in your weekly articles John - they really helped a lot! :tu:

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

You're welcome. Congratulations on the tough ride! Keep training hard and it won't be long before you'll be banging out centuries at will. :tucool:

3. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement! As an aside, I would like to put in a plug for the excellent Trek Madone 2.3 H2 that I picked up in January. With it's compact 50/34 front chain rings and 12-30, 10 speed cassette I had plenty of choices to help me through those hills. I found that I never had to drop down from the large chain ring and passed up plenty of riders who were plugging away in their low gears.

But, I found that I was cross chaining quite a bit (between the largest chain ring and largest cassette gear) and have read to avoid this as it's harder on the components. I didn't want to drop my speed by switching down to the small front chain ring and was able to maintain a 80 rpm cadence avg through my ride. What's your take?

#3 Derwinator, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. joky_knt

joky_knt Member

Congratulations Derwinator! I hope you have already chosen your next event.

I'll be riding my first road cycling event next week. I have completed several MTB events in the past, but it's my first road one.

My challenge is just finish it because It has been imposible to train properly this year. I have less than 1000 km in my legs.

Here is some of the data about the event:

- Distance: 121,72 Km (75.64 miles)
    - Total Climbing: 2367 m (7765 ft.)
    - Profile: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh303/joky_knt/soplao_zpslqf2tsiy.jpg

- Profile of the 1st climbing: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Mv-kmbH4vfM/UHmdrWHCn8I/AAAAAAAADGU/fHIFKf8iq_o/s1600/el+soplao.jpg

- Profile of the 2nd climbing: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Aa9bIAsal-I/T65KkQ0d9CI/AAAAAAAACH4/zq-uZ_aPib0/s1600/carmona+carmona.jpg

This weekend I'll do my last long training and I am mentally prepared to handle with suffering at climbs.

#4 joky_knt, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015