1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fighting the Fat!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by euan, Feb 12, 2008.

1. euan

euan Active Member

#1 euan, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. euan

euan Active Member

Down 1lb this morning! This is probably my first time below 16 stone since I was about 14 :)

It's such a beautiful day here today! Went for a walk this morning up by the golf course, that killed 45 minutes of my morning. Ideally I'd have been playing golf, but the course is frozen over. The course looks stunning when it's covered in frost. :)

I plan to workout about 1pm this afternoon and then go for another walk later.

3. euan

euan Active Member

Awesome workout this afternoon! Warmed up with some single legged deadlifts and bulgarian squats - does it take long to develop better balance with these lifts? I kept having to pause at the top of the deadlifts to regain my balance!

Went for a walk after the workout. Been a great day today :)

4. euan

euan Active Member

Such an awesome workout earlier! I passed my driving test this morning and yesterday I got an offer from the University I want to go to, so I was fired up and feeling great heading in to todays workout. :bb:

It was squat/press/row day today. Felt so great I forced out another 2 sets of squats at the end. :jumping:

5. euan

euan Active Member

Had a good workout this morning. I find myself able to perform bulgarian squats, lunges and single leg deadlifts a lot better now. I guess it just took a bit to get used to 'em.

Down 1 pound from last week. I've only lost about 6 pounds over the last 4 weeks, which although is progress, it's not as fast as I started out with. If I don't get back to losing ~2lbs a week soon I think I'll have to rethink my diet or get more cardio in.

If anyone is actually reading this, have a nice day!

6. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

Hey Euan! Good work so far, I've only just started the 'journey' myself :) Good luck!

7. euan

euan Active Member

Cheers :tu: Hope things are going well with your transformation too.

Was planning to play some golf this morning but the rain put an end to that idea. The sun shines for 2 weeks (rare in Scotland at this time of year :p) and then when I finally have a free day, the good weather ends.

So instead I did a few sets of power cleans and finished with some more power cleans in a grueling tabata workout. Traps feel like they are on fire now :D

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

That's really impressive, euan! :nod:

9. euan

euan Active Member

Thank you :)

Woke up this morning with my traps aching. I guess those power cleans from yesterdays "cardio" really took it out of me.

Was tough doing squats tonight with the bar resting atop my traps, but I managed all the reps anyway. Not gonna let a bit of DOMS stop me! :bb:

Rest of the workout was good. I really have been exhausted these past couple of days, though. I think I'm going to take a few days off or even just cut my reps in half for the next 2 workouts so that my body is getting a bit of time to recover. I've not missed a single workout since the 1st December last year so I'm probably due a break. It's just hard to force myself to take a break when I've been seeing great results with what I've been doing.

Time to go cook! :eat:

10. euan

euan Active Member

Started today with a bit of fasted "cardio". Did some dumbbell swings, clean & press, and squats in circuit fashion with no rest between sets and 30-40 seconds rest between circuits. I can't remember how many sets of this I did but I did 20 minutes worth. Could probably have gone a bit longer but I was too hungry! Digging into a massive bowl of oatmeal porridge and blueberries as I type this :D

11. euan

euan Active Member

Glad I chose to move yesterdays workout to today in favour of a rest. Woke up today feeling much better for it. Yesterday didn't go to waste though - prepared and cooked most of my food for the rest of the week :)

I've decided to change my workouts up a bit. What I was doing for the past 4 weeks was pretty low volume, and I decided that I'd be getting more benefit towards fat loss by increasing the volume a bit, and taking less time between sets. Instead of 3 sets of 10 reps for each exercise, I've switched to 5 sets with 8-12 reps per set.

Todays workout was a toughie. Really noticed the difference between this and what I was doing before. Was struggling for breath by the end of my squat sets. Back rows were pretty crappy today - my grip was going much faster than usual, and by the last 2 sets I was having to put the bar down after about 5 reps, wait a few seconds, then finish the set.

Have a great day, anyone who might be reading!

12. euan

euan Active Member

Tuesday is the day I weigh myself, take body measurements, and of course take pictures. I'm down 2lbs this week, putting me at 220lbs :) That's 25lbs total lost since December 1st.

It's been a while since I've lost 2 in a week so I'm glad to see the scale moving like that again! Hopefully I'll lose at least 1lb before next tuesday, because dropping below 220 will be big for me, at least psychologically. I don't know why it is, but 220 sounds a whole lot bigger than 219 to me. :confused:

My pictures show some progress from last weeks. I've gotten slightly smaller on either side of my abdominal area, and the love handles seem to have shrunk a little bit as well.

I've used FitDay to log my meals for today, just to make sure that I'm not giving myself too large portion sizes.

Looking forward to this mornings workout. My reward for losing 2lbs this week will probably be an extra set of squats! :bb:

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you overcome hardships, that is strength."
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

#12 euan, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  13. euan

euan Active Member

Forgot to update after yesterdays workout. My load for bulgarians and singled legged deadlifts has gone up a good amount since when I started with them a week or two ago. Nothing else worth noting I guess.

Its a lovely day but the ground is still too wet for golf. Plan to spend today resting/cooking. Got a massive pot of soup cooking at the moment - enough to last me a week. :eat: Got some haddock in the fridge I could prepare and freeze as well.

Happy Wednesday!

14. euan

euan Active Member

My meal timings were a bit messed up today (had to go over 4 hours between my 3rd and 4th meal :blank:) because of college and being kept in waaay later than I had expected. I might start taking a shaker with whey and oats in it, so I can just add water whenever I need an "emergency" meal!

Workout was pretty good tonight. Warmed up with some bulgarians, lunges, single legged deads and power cleans.

Squats - 5 x 8-12. Meh. Think I'll replace these with bulgarians for a more challenging workout.

Military Press - 5 x 8-12. Managed all reps with alright form tonight. I have a bad left shoulder so by the end of the 4th set my form usually starts to get pretty bad.

Barbell Rows - 5 x 8-12. I just can't get any heavier on these. By the 4th set my biceps are burning and I find myself having to rest the bar down briefly before I can finish the set.

Roll on Friday!

15. euan

euan Active Member

These past couple of days have kinda sucked... I've been ill with what seems to be some sort of throat infection. It's been a real test of my dedication to this lifestyle - eating 5/6 meals a day and busting my ass with weightlifting when really I'd rather just curl up in bed and not eat at all.

I've got plenty to keep me busy with today - I'll be away for most of Sunday so I'll be cooking all my food for the week today. Also got to squeeze in a workout at some point as well!

Why do nutritionists often seem to be in terrible shape? When I was on the train coming home yesterday I was sat across from two rather large women who were discussing their business - both of them nutritionists. It's mean of me to judge, but I'd have thought two experts on nutrition would at least be in better shape.

Thanks for reading, have a good weekend!

#15 euan, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  16. euan

euan Active Member

Tonight's workout wasn't great, and I'm feeling worse than earlier, but I'm pleased with myself that I managed to complete the workout and didn't have to sacrifice any reps or weight on the bar to do so.

Squats - 5 x 8-12

Pushups - 5 x 8-12

Deadlifts - 5 x 6-10

Power Cleans - 3 x 6

I feel pretty weak right now. I've been taking paracetamol to help fight this off but it's left me quite drowsy. My motivation to get through the workout was that quote by Arnold that I mentioned a few posts ago. My strength tonight was not determined by how much I was squatting or deadlifting, but the fact that I actually did the workout. Illness might not be the hardship he had in mind, but it makes me feel better to think that it counts, so meh!

Speaking of motivation, I've been reading "When Pride Still Mattered". It's a biography of Vince Lombardi and it's been such a good read so far. Despite living in the UK where there's not much exposure to "american football", I've been raised as a Packers fan. No connection with Green Bay or Wisconsin, but my dad has always been a Pack fan and I grew up supporting them and idolising Brett Favre. One thing I've taken from the book which I believe is related to the transformation I'm going through is that it all takes time and with hard work and dedication, you'll acheive what you set out to do. It took Lombardi decades to land a head coaching job in the pros, but his determination paid off, and as long as I keep busting my ass with the weights and eating properly, this will all pay off one day. It's all just more motivation to fuel this fire.

17. euan

euan Active Member

Great workout this afternoon! Been a while since I've been content with every exercise in a lifting session.

Squats - 5 x 8-12. Will have to add 5/10lbs next time to these.

Military Press - 5 x 8-12. Likewise, going to have to increase the weight I was pressing. Was able to get all the reps out without much struggle today.

Back Rows - 5 x 8-12. These still seem to hit my arms more than my back...

Power Cleans - 3 x 6. No problem with these. I've included the power cleans in my workout for the sake of getting a bit of "cardio" in at the end. Going to start adding an extra set of these each week.

It's still snowing pretty heavy here. I lift at home and between sets I'd look out the window and see the snow falling and everything all white - I was wanting to take all my equipment outside and lift in the snow, but figured it probably wasn't wise to squat with icy ground under my feet.

Thanks for reading - have a nice day :tucool:

18. euan

euan Active Member

It's weigh-day today... and I've lost another 2 lbs! My weight now sits at 218lbs. It feels great to finally be below 220. 1 more lb and I'll have lost 2 stone since I started this transformation :)

19. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

Nice work, mate! :)

20. euan

euan Active Member

Cheers bud, thanks for checking in :)

--

Today is another beautiful day - it snowed more overnight. After breakfast I stuck some Dream Theater on my mp3 player and went for a walk/jog/run. Was pretty hard to find my footing when all you can see under you is snow, and the dirt track I was running on wasn't too solid under foot in the first place! I feel great after that. :D

Time to get meal #2 in! I was preparing chicken last night which would cover 2 of my meals today. I left it in the oven and went upstairs to do some work for college. About an hour and a half later my sister shouted up to me that I had chicken in the oven! Shit! It overcooked by about 40 minutes :lol: So I can't re-heat in the oven today because it's already far too tough - so I'm gonna have to boil a can of tomatoes and bring it up to heat in that. :doh:

Have a great day everyone!