1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fem/ INTRO Weight Training ROUTINES ? ?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Ewells, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Ewells

Ewells Active Member

Halo! Definetely new to forums/discussions but I'm in dire need of some feedback. I'm 5'6, 145lbs, female.

My goal: To loose some weight and get toned. Well isn't that surprise. More specifically I'm pretty much an Endo-Meso. If any female is familiar with somatotype classification I could really use the help here .

Goal 2: I'm trying to start strength training/ weight lifting. I use to run a lot, but never developed the lean /firm look rather just some skinny girl with feeble arms. Even worse, I suffer from chronic shinsplints as well probably developed some osteoporosis, from weight loss too fast, too hard.

I really love exercise and I'm no foreigner to pushing yourself hard but I have done way more cardio than weight training and am inexperienced in this field.

SO can anyone provide me with some accurate or DETAILED plan of their -Strength training - routines, reps, things of that nature.

Do any boxers here know of any specific traps (lower/upper) + core exercises. THANKS

2. Fit2BMom

Fit2BMom Active Member

I'm new here too, but I hope you haven't given up on this forum since there were no replies to your post.

I've been lifting weights pretty consistantly for the last few years. I have run more in the past, done aerobics, Pilates, etc. But until I started a really modest weight lifting program, I did not see the results I was looking for.

I started with small weights, because that's all the TV work out people recommend to avoid beginners hurting themselves and/or being discouraged, I guess. I have been using 15 pound weights for too long I've recently realized, and I'm going to get 20 lb weights soon.

I do 3 x's a week, lunges, squats, dead lifts, etc. I also do upper body and abs for 25 minutes or so.

I haven't yet figured out a 3 day split of 1 day upper, another day middle and another day lower body. What I've been doing has worked pretty well for me thus far. I used to run 5-6 days a week....and do weights, but that was too much. Then I cut the running back to 3 days a week...Then I hurt my ankle, and cut back to 30 minutes of running 3 x's a week.

I've been off my running for a while because I hurt my knee, was wearing the wrong shoes for too long. But I've been getting back to it with intervals of running for 20 minutes 3 days a week.

It's just diet and increased weights that will make the real difference I've found. Diet is extremely important for streamlining and cutting out fat in the body.

But don't listen to me! I've stayed in moderate newbie status far longer than most people. And I'm sure there's better help around here.

Good Luck!

3. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

You would probably be well-off to look into getting a personal trainer. If you are new to lifting, you don't want to develop any bad or progress stunting habits. You don't have to stay with them for a long time, but they can often give you a push in the right direction. It could even be wise to run their program by JSF members to give it a second opinion.

As for being toned...

Try not to get into the trap of forgetting that being toned is simply a function of your muscle mass in relation to bodyfat levels. You need to establish a foundation of muscle so when bodyfat decreases, there is something there to give you tone.

You're on the right track by recognizing that a solid lifting plan and nutritious diet are essential in achieving your goals!

4. Ewells

Ewells Active Member

Hey Guys So I still have this perpetual problem of working out and still not loosing that last layer of fat mass. Particularly my midsection.

Although this may sound like simply another female complaint, I can assure you that I work very hard even though I am naturally a strong woman. I am a cyclist and even spin often, but although my core is strong in comparison to couple months back, I have trouble keeping that 'pooch' off that area. I may just take up a personal trainer for one session. If I had been born a man I'd be way ripped.

That was very bold, and borderline vain, so excuse my frustration. Well thanks for the replies!

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Different people store fat in different areas. You can't target any area. It just takes time.

Being strong just means you need to lift heavier. A weaker person will progress with lower weights. The stronger you get the heavier you need to lift.

6. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

That pooch is fat. If it didn't find a home on the belly, it would find a home somewhere else on the body. Exercise alone won't get rid of it. Focus on the entire package of exercise and nutritiion. Check out the stickies in the beginner's forum on training, fat loss, and nutrition. Figure out what your lean body mass and bodyfat percentages are and then aim to preserve the former while dropping the latter to somewhere between 15-20 percent.

I have the same problem and I exercise as hard as anyone. I find that it's important to work on nutrition, weight lifting, and some cardio, in that order of priority. Weight lifting is important for keeping up lean body mass -- and that also ends up meaning that I can look good with a little more fat than someone with less lean mass. For example someone with 110 lbs of lean mass can attain 18% bodyfat with 24 lbs of bodyfat; someone with 124 lbs of lean mass can attain 18% bodyfat with 27 lbs of bodyfat. The less lean mass one has, the less bodyfat one can afford to have. Not only that, but one's body burns more calories when one has more muscle.

Edit: I should qualify what I just said: if you're bodyfat % is indeed low, then that pooch may be a result of weak abdominal muscles.

#6 modmaven, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Have you started weight training yet?
    There's a variety of different things you can do. I preferred starting out with a full body routine, which is working every muscle at each workout, and allowing about 48 hours of rest between each workout.

What kind of equipment do you have available to you?

Stumptuous.com is an excellent site for women who are new to lifting. Here are some suggested weight lifting routines:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=26

Are you a boxer? I did a search and this link seemed to have some pretty good weight training ideas if that's the case:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson80.htm

8. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Another good one is WS4SB. Check out Defranco's website. He has plenty of females using his gym.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/

You could do a three day split using his WS4SB and instead of the four.

ME upper body, ME lower body, and the Repetition upper body. Once you look at the plan you'll know more about what I'm talking about. You can find that here

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

He also has it on his website but it looks a lot cooler in PDF form.

Also check out the journals from some of the ladies here. You'll be impressed.

#8 Nowhereman, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008