1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

feeling tired before lifting session...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by krosspyder, Jul 21, 2005.

1. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

ive had enough to eat no problem... but what happens when im tired before im scheduled to hit the wieghts? not work tired but kind of like not getting enough sleep tired. do i still lift and shake it off? or do i not risk it? why?

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Vague feelings are usually the ones not to quit on. If you have no specific reason, work out. People in general often look for ways to stop doing productive things and talk themselves into non-productive things.

That is why in life there are few winners. You should know what to do with your body that provides it the best environment for a happy and productive life.

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If you're about to fall asleep when you sit down then take a nap instead. But, if you're not that tired then go workout. Usually working out wakes me up a bit though my reflexes and power may be slightly degraded.

4. krosspyder

believe me .. im not looking ofr an excuse. (how is it that my words get misunderstood so often?.... im like the most determined guy at what im doing in my area without a doubt... thats why i aske the questions i do... right now i cant wait for saturday so i can start my cardio again.. ive been not doing it for 9 days already to try to fix my metabolism... and i feel so empty not being able to do cardio like i was doing). you know how your head or body feels when you need sleep? thats the way im feeling... pissed me off to because i really wanted to do squats and deadlifts... but i thought maybe its not good for me maybe my lifts will suffer... then i thought ... nah maybe it will wake me up... not sure... okay ill ask the dudes on JSF... seee what they say... i was really hoping someone would of said... nah you're okay go for it you'll wake up and your lifts wont suffer. really.
    im upset now because i think i missed my window. its too late to lift... or is it? its 11:00 pm over here now.... is it cool for the metab to be kicking it at sleep time? to lift before sleeping?

5. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Now that I'm bulking, I've been sipping a whey/dex shake during lifting, and one after. The one during has made a huge difference in my energy levels, and has allowed me (maybe it's psychological) to increase my volume of training each session.

6. krosspyder

i think its because im not getting enough sleep. go to bed at around 3:30am and wake up (today at least) at around 10:30 am.
    thats 7 hours... should be fine... wierd. im going to bed earlier this time around.

7. thirtysomething

thirtysomething Well-Known Member

Maybe you just need a day off.

8. krosspyder

lol are you serious? the past 9 days have been the most major extended break ive taken since starting in jan. no cardio whatsoever.... only did two days of lifting within that period.
    tomorrow is my last day without cardio... well last day of the extension. i usually take one day out of week and dont do anything other then live.

so are you serious or were you joking?

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I sometimes do it but I don't think it's the best idea.

To help with sleep melatonin is a good supplement.

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I sleep better if I've been getting cardio in. Check to see how this works out when you resume cardio - notice whether your body needs a little cardio for sleep.

Sleep is one of those activities that can be hugely improved by cardio fitness because it is so much about breathing. Core strengthening is good for sleep because you are comfortable in more positions so you don't wake yourself up as much. Also breathing better in more positions depends on core and cardio.

Before I resumed working out my sleep was getting pretty ragged. It's way better now.

11. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

w/o knowing your current schedule, I was thinking that you may have been overtraining. Since you're wrapping up an extended layoff, I think we can rule that one out.

Is your sleep schedule off? You mentioned going to bed at 3:30 and sleeping in. This could be the problem if you're used to sleeping at an earlier time.

I have pushed myself through a "sluggish" beginning and ended up having some pretty good workouts.

12. krosspyder

i usually go to be around 3:30 or 4:30... sometimes 5 (tryiing not to do this anymore) and wake up around 11:30 or 12. i go to work at 1pm.

usually i may only get 6 hours of sleep in. not good.

ive been trying to go to sleep earlier but it hasnt been working out. i will tonight though... i have to... im actually sleepy.lol

thnx man.

13. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I have pushed myself through a "sluggish" beginning and ended up having some pretty good workouts.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Often times I just don't have the motivation/ energy to workout but after I start all hell breaks loose and I get a great session in.

14. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

If I am injured or sick, I cancel my workouts, but if I am just tired or sluggish, I go anyway. I was VERY tired on wed (my chest/tri day), but once I got through a couple of sets, I felt OK, and the workout went fine. Obviously, your body may be different, but I'd suggest hitting the gym anyway, and try to get a bit more sleep if you can....

15. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

How do you figure not doing cardio fixes your metabolism? Please elaborate, because cardio does quite the contrary, it increases your metabolism. Unless you are looking to slow it down, which I couldn't imagine someone wanting to do.

As for the being tired... it all depends how tired is "tired". If you've been working all day, and not moving around much, your body may tire and you feel a little sleepy, but once you hit the gym, it rejuvenates you and you become very energetic. Many times I've said to myself "do I really want to go lift now, I'm too tired" and I always end up going and feel great after 5 mins in the gym.

If it's to the point where you can't keep your eyes open and your head gets that "feeling" where you know you need sleep, that's a different story. I'd probably skip the session and just move it one of your off days.

I know everyone is different, but 7 hours of sleep is pretty damn good. I can't imagine that being the reason you're tiring out. It's either your diet or an over-excessive amount of activity that's burning you out.

16. krosspyder

actually its probably because ive stopped cardio because i had to... everyones suggestion...majority that is.

to the other issue.
    because i was overtraining with too much cardio. my expenditure was way higher then what i was taking in.. i was eating too low that my metabolism slowed down. thats what everyone is saying in my plateau thread on the cutting section... if you look youll see it.
    so i stopped the cardio i was doing so my metabolism would catch up... started eating maintenance level or higher.
    if this concept is wrong then please tell me why and explain to everyone on my thread on plateau in the cutting section your analyzes because ive been under this current concept for awhile without any cardio and if im doing something wrong then im either getting bad advice from these fine folks or im misunderstanding everything.

17. jessie

jessie Well-Known Member

Alot of the times when I feel to tired to lift after I get to the gym and start I usually feel pretty good. Everynow and then I go to workout and after my warmup sets I just feel completely drained like I have no energy sometimes this happens because I am fighting a cold, been working to much, going out too much for whatever reason I've just hit a wall. When this happens I am usually to stuborn not to work out, but I substitute alot of machine lifts for free weight lifts. My reasoning for this is I don't have to waste energy and concentration I don't have stabalizing weights, I can just concentrate on getting a good pump and getting out of their.

18. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Alright, I just skimmed that thread about your plateau. Here's my thoughts.

1) You are trying "too hard". Relax. Just take it one step at a time and don't be so obsessed about every minor detail. Eat about 2400-2600 calories/day, do your weight training and get back into cardio at the end of this small "vacation" and STICK TO IT. Not for a week, two weeks even a month. Ride it out for 2-3 months and see what happens. You won't change overnight, but if you are consistent, you WILL reach your goals.

2) Cardio in no way slows your metabolism unless its by means of burning muscle, thus lowering your BMR. The reason it was suggested you take a break is because sometimes your body just gets overexhausted and needs a break from activity. It's not to speed up or fix your metabolism, rather to give your body and mind the break they need to go back into it full force and start progressing again.

3) I don't really know who this Sean_Vienna guy is, but he gives some damn good advice. Tennisball always has as well. I would take everything the two of them said and continue at it. I agree pretty much completely with their advice, it's all top notch. (Not to disclude others who posted in there, I just saw most of the posts from them and agreed with them.)

4) Don't expect others to know what will be best for you. As much as I, and most others, like to give advice, the bottom line is 99% of us are not professionals in the field, we don't know everything and we don't know how your body responds to different approaches. All we can do is recommend things, but everyone has their own opinion. You need to develop your own and the only way to do that is to see what works for you by sticking to the same approach for a while and then switching it up every few months and comparing your results.

Good luck!

19. krosspyder

ive got to be hard to be succesful right now... thats my personality i guess.. im real chill in life but i pick two things and ride them hard... balances me out. im oc or neuratic about things... just my personality. Im not obsessed about every detail but they say that breaking a plateau is about the details... so go figure. I will STICK TO IT... no problem... thats not the problem.. like i said in countless posts its the KNOWING thats the problem not my determination and passion. thnx for viewing that thread man. means a lot.

i wasn trying to say that taking away cardio after overtraining would help boost my metabolism... thats what i meant... not sure if you read that right or what... but im not saying this is true im simply saying this is what i know from what ive been told. i thought that it was suggeted for me to stop my cardio so that i can reset my cns .. and thus my metabolism... not sure about the full force thing... ive been full force fromt the get go... no problem there... maybe this full force deal is the problem. again... i may be reading you wrong so i apologies if i am.

without a doubt man... without a doubt ... dont you all think that im not appreciatve either... im so gratefull for this help man... werd. everyones damn cool.

true.. very true. but the advice from the more expierenced is often times better then the advice of the unexpierenced or the not as expierenced which is why im here at these boards. i hear ya though.. i need to figure out what works best for my body. there are many tools out there that are tuned better for different people depending on genetics and what not... my role is to find what works best for me. all the general advice and guidelines are just that general... take from that what i can and tailor it to suit my specific type... i hear ya. im hip to this concept.. i just need to find the tools that are suited for my type thats all. im new to this so its just starting. most of you all already have a number of tools in the bag... im just getting a bag.

thnx again man! truely appreciative. your words of advice do not fall on deaf ears. take care.

:tu:

20. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

KrossSpyder:- I notice in your "pics" section you mention you work out 4 or 5 times a week. What exactly is it you do? i assume you are some kind of split routine, no? I think you mentioned Max OT as well. Maybe it's time for a macro-cycle or switch-up. Can you give us an example of workouts? if you're going to bed consistently at 3 a.m. and getting up consistently at 10:30 or 11 a.m. you shouldn't be too bad off in the "z's" department. Some people are born night-owls. I'm one of 'em. Just off the top it sounds like you are over training or you need to change-up your routine. I just hit a stale zone so I sat down and designed a different program that cuts down on redundant volume for iso's and brings compounds more into play. Gotta take care of that ol' central nervous system.