1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fats for fat loss

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mastover, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

One word... Coconut oil. Oh, that's two words. :)
    The research, along with my experience (figure and body building clients) prove a very favorable response. :tucool:

2. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Simple replacement of fats like olive oil, etc. in cooking?

I know you have tons of facts locked in that brain of yours - can you provide any specifics as to benefit over EVOO?

3. mastover

From the feedback I've received, coconut oil has shown to have a more favorable impact with lowering levels of triglycerides, HDL, and total cholesterol. This is after making a switch from other type oils, as well. Tastes pretty good, too.

This week:
    Triglycerides 90
    HDL 41
    Total cholesterol 152

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Interesting info about Coconut oil ... but just wanted to check, you wrote HDL, but did you actually mean LDL?

5. mastover

Yes, Joe. My mistake. A healthy lifestyle will typically raise HDL. (If there is no family history of cholesterol problems)

6. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Very interesting info Aram, thank you.

My family has a history of heart disease/attacks/strokes. (I would assume from the reasoning that most of the men in the family are 250+lbs, smoke, have horrible diets, some were alcoholics) but I'm sure the genes are there for me, and I'm looking for any advantage I can get in reducing my tri's and LDL.

After performing your workout/diet regimen for 2.5 months last year (not the tightest it could have been) and not working out for 6 months after that, my LDL and tri's had still dropped by 25%.

Goes to show the doctors who think diet and exercise can't provide a serious enough reduction in cholesterol levels without a statin...

There's a doctor here in Houston who follows the mindset that a lot of heart attacks/disease is actually attributable to hypothyroidism. He tries to base medical recommendations off of hormone levels, diet, exercise, etc. instead of applying blanket prescriptions of synthetic pills.

Might give Dr. Hotze a google.....