1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fathead the movie...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by ryanlambert11, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ryanlambert11

ryanlambert11 Member

Has anyone see this documentary. I just watched it and found it pretty interesting. If you have seen it what are your thoughts on it. It's a counter to the movie Super Size Me. I just youtubed it so check it out.

2. Agon

Agon Active Member

I saw the movie a while back on Netflix. I thought they brought up some interesting counter points to Super Size Me. It would have been nice to see the actual food logs from Super Size Me, but it seems they couldn't get them for the show.

I would say, as with any kind of documentary of this type, to take things with a grain of salt.

I agree that dietary choices are the primary factor influencing people's progress towards their nutrition goals. The diet approach he took was fairly similar to keto diets, which many people have had good results with, so I wasn't overly surprised that he had results.

The only part I didn't like is the anti-government overtones in many of the commentary sections of the documentary. Sure I can see the point in spreading your idea, but I felt that it kind of detracted from the original intent of the show. Which was to show the flaws in Super Size Me by proving you can attain some measure of weight loss through fast food provided you make the right choices.

I showed the documentary to my parents who have in turn decided to talk to their doctor about the issues with statins the show highlighted. It also sounds like their doctor is going to watch the show so it should be interesting to see what he says as well.

Overall, I thought it was a decent documentary that provided a fairly well developed counter point to Super Size Me. Too bad it had such a small budget and distribution area.

3. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

It was a pretty good movie. Had some funny parts...that expression on his wife's face when he was like, "I wanted to document our intimate life" (paraphrasing)...was gold.

You might also want to take a look at, "I Want To Look Like That Guy". I liked it a fair bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuygZX3HKSQ