1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

fat to fit to fat to floundering... time to make it stop!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by BJ, Nov 24, 2014.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Every 8K miles. I would be getting a new car every 3 - 4 months. I would just be learning where everything was.

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I think I would take an SLK350, I think that's the hard top convertible roadster. And I'd buy a minivan for the family. HEH HEH

3. BJ

BJ Active Member

I had an SLK250 last summer... LOVED it. I really miss that car! Right now I drive a C300 (my company paid for car), and the Mrs. drives the ML350

It was that way in the beginning... but the functions of a Mercedes are very much the same model to model, so it isn't so confusing.

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

My goal for this week was to make it through the week without getting stressed enough to require an evening drink... mission accomplished. (well, I had the same stress... just handled it better)

My mission for next week is to do the same AND get up early enough in the morning to work out Monday through Friday. This is my big challenge. The only way I'm going to consistently work out is if I do it 1st thing. But, getting out of bed is also one of my worst points of
    the day.

So far, the weight is hovering around 190... would really like to get it down around 165 - 175 pending on muscle level.

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Small steps. Congrats on not drinking. That's really really difficult to handle. I wish you luck on maintaining your schedule.

6. BJ

BJ Active Member

OK - It's been a while :o

I started the Couch to 5k program (well, actually, I've started and restarted about a bazillion times)... so let me say instead - I'm sticking to the C25K program!

I'm on week 4 now :D I've even got into the habit of waking up at 3:30AM to go run 3x per week.

This week I created an account on My Fitness Pal and have started tracking food again :tu:. Looking through my old journal made me realize that it was the only way that things were going to move forward :nod:

So I'll keep running... and tracking my food. Weight training starts this weekend... back on the Stronglifts 5x5 program to start building strength back up slowly without injuring myself

Weight is ~195 rightnow :doh: Will be down to ~165 - 175 or so by Thanksgiving!

7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Great job BJ. I know how much you work at your job and starting a physical exercise program now is a lot to handle.
    BTW how is PDCA? Did she keep off the hundred pounds she lost?

8. BJ

BJ Active Member

No Lefty... unfortunately... she has been dealing with serious allergies since our move. She is on allergy shots and a boatload of meds. She has regressed a lot :(

So - we start at it again. She is picking up better habits as I do, so I'm hopeful that we can make it back together.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

You guys have kids right? I know work can be all encompassing at times. I certainly put in my time. I think you guys are in your late 30's or early 40's. If you are younger, then even better (and no insult intended. I really don't know your age, just guessing based on your level of responsibility at work).

I work with a lot of 50 to 65 year olds who all have had heart attacks, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. A few are diabetic. Several have had cancer. I believe that stress is an important contributor to all of those diseases. (I could be wrong). Exercise helps deal with stress. Exercise also helps all of those diseases. Surprisingly, some studies show that people in shape have lower cancer risks and better odds of survival if they get cancer.

You need to make time for yourself and your family. Exercise is a great way to do both. Get out and play with your kids. Toss the ball, kick the ball. Buy bikes and ride together as a family. You get the idea. 30 mins a day of moderate movement (exercise) is what the minimum recommendation is. It does't need to be bodybuilding in the gym or 4 hour long runs to train for a marathon.

I certainly am far from perfect. I miss too many workouts and don't eat as well as I should. So I shouldn't lecture. I also don't mean to call you out or mean this in a bad way. Just trying to offer encouragement.

10. BJ

BJ Active Member

Don't worry Mac... no offense taken. I grew up with the name of BJ, so it is kinda hard to offend me ;)

Yes... late 30s. And I agree with everything you are saying. I think that I am finally getting everything in order for fitness and am getting better at keeping the stress in check.

Meal planning and running regularly is making me feel a world better. One step at a time - I'll get back :nod:

11. BJ

BJ Active Member

Ran yesterday morning... Couch to 5K - week 5 - day 1

Lifted this evening... Stronglifts 5x5 - day 1

1617 calories today (145g pro - 175g carb - 42g fat)

Weight this morning was 194.4 (was around 198 last Monday)

12. BJ

BJ Active Member

Ran this morning as planned. Nutrition for today...

1804 calories - 109g pro - 193 g carb - 36g fat (I had a big Foster's for my Birthday treat)

Plugging along nicely. Legs are kinda sore.

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

Another day of progress... everything spot on :tu:

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 5 of C25K. :tucool:

What are the current run / walk intervals? Yoou should be getting close to running more than walking.

15. BJ

BJ Active Member

This morning was my 20 minute run

16. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Foster's, Australian for beah. heh

17. BJ

BJ Active Member

Still doing good... started the C2-5k program back at week 1 as I found it tougher than expected to integrate the 5x5 lifting program. So, I'm starting week 2 of the C25K tomorrow and week 3 of the lifting program on Tuesday. Slowly, but surely... getting back into condition