1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

fat to fit to fat to floundering... time to make it stop!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by BJ, Nov 24, 2014.

1. BJ

BJ Active Member

Hey y'all! Guess who's back :D

I'm struggling big time, so I thought I'd come back to what I know works ;)

Way back in 2008 (it's been 6 years already :doh:) I was at 205 and miserable. In 2010 I got down to 165 and was in the best shape of my life. Now it's 2014, I'm back up to 195 and I feel miserable.

I've tried to re-engage several times, but end up not maintaining traction. I've got a lot of excuses, but ultimately, I'm tired of the excuses and ready for results.

So... back to the journal :nod: and this time I'm not letting my excuses get in the way :nope:

Here we go! :bb:

2. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Eminem? :confused:

:gl:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Will be following.

You know what to do so cobble together a plan and post here for accountability.

Wishing you well.

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

Here are the obstacles I need to overcome...

1) I injured myself 2 years back - pretty sure I separated my AC joint while benching. It still hurts from time to time. That said, I gotta go slow with getting back to the weights

2) My workout time before was at lunch during work. In my current job I can't do that... and I'm generally worn out by the end of the day. I really need to do it in the mornings - a habit that I've never been able to make (I like to sleep :sleep:, so getting up in the mornings is hard for me)

3) I need to get my nutrition on track. I did best with this last time when I prepped all of my food on one day and then ate from that the rest of the week. Well, I've had a total of 1 day off so far this month. I'm going to have to just figure it out.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Having only one day off makes any attempt at fitness difficult. Not just from lack of time but you never get to "recover" from the stresses of work.

I know most people focus on clean eating and macros, that is not really necessary. Just using portion control and making small substitutions can cut calories and contribute to weight loss.

:gl: you've got this.

6. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

This. :claplow:

I'm certain that to make the kinds of body composition changes John has made (and others, of course), one probably needs to be pretty laser-focused when it comes to nutrition. But for years, I sweated what I ate and worried about macros and freaked out about my inability to overcome my dislike of vegetables and my weight bounced around because I'd binge here or there or stress too much or whatever -- and then earlier this summer, I simply stopped eating as much. Literally. I just ate when I was hungry, and made sure to eat less than what I thought I might typically, and never ate to the point of feeling "full" (though I always felt full within 20-30 minutes). And I've since dropped some 20 pounds.

It really does work.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I used to be the exact same way. Then I read an article by John Berardi. I don't remember the article exactly, but basically there was this guy at the gym he wanted to train with. The guy said to him, if he got there at 5:00 am, he would train him. Basically, the reason was if he could get there at 5:00 am, it showed how committed he was. Shortly after reading that, I woke up one morning starving at 4:30 am. I was sitting at the table eating my cereal, that article popped into my mind. I thought, what is stopping me from working out. I am up already, I just have to pack my gym bag, and I can be at the gym by 5:00 when it opens. It was hard the first few week, but became a habit. I would say that was about 7-8 years ago, now when I wake up and I don't even think of not working out.

8. BJ

BJ Active Member

Interesting suggestion on the portion control... guess that's where I'll start :nod:

@Shamie - I hear ya... but I get up at 4:30AM for a normal day of work. I'm trying to change my wake time to 3:30. Made it on Monday, but not this morning :lol:

Not giving up... I'll get this!

9. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Well....I am in the same boat...weight back up, up for work early, long days, beat when I get home, so hard to re-engage....

I'll be watching and using you as inspiration...(if you don't mind)

Good luck...And hoping your story helps me down the right path...:tucool:

Bob

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Bob. :wave: [/hijack]

11. BJ

BJ Active Member

That's the extra pressure I need :D Let's do this Bob!!!

(well, after Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow :drool::eat:)

12. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Howdy Seltzer...hope all is well

You betcha!
    Cleaning up some space in the garage for the weight set. (I will be starting a new journal shortly)

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

Trying to decide what lifting program to follow to get back into the routine. Any input?

(I planned to start today, but threw my back out over Thanksgiving :doh: - guess I'll be starting next week)

Option 1 - 5/3/1 - I enjoyed this when I did it last time... and I think it follows a natural progression that should get me moving.

Option 2 - HIT - I had success on this before, but did it so long I'll get bored easy.

Option 3 - ? suggestions?

14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I've always liked a leg, push, pull routine. 5 x 5 on the big stuff and 3 x 8 on the smaller stuff, I.e. squat 5 x 5, lunges 3 x 8. Hit all reps move up in weight next time.

15. BJ

BJ Active Member

[​IMG]

The good news is, I'm losing weight. I'm shooting for a 1.5 lb / week target (I know that weight loss is non-linear, but you gotta have a goal!)

Bad news... tweaked my lower back on Thanksgiving and still in a bit of pain. I have held off workouts so far this week as I don't want to aggravate it too soon

16. BJ

BJ Active Member

put that last chart into photobucket so I could share here and started looking at all of the pictures I had in there from a few years ago... I want to get back to here... :nod:

[​IMG]

17. BJ

BJ Active Member

:claphigh: I did it! :D

Finally did workout #1... the inertia is broken.

Decided to go with Stronglifts 5x5 as a good starting point. Started with an empty bar :o going slow this time so I can stick with it and not injure myself

18. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back! :moon:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You can't do workout number two until number one is done, so congrats on getting the ball rolling.

Good idea to work on form and injury prevention. :tucool:

20. BJ

BJ Active Member

Thanks Seltzer!

Good to be back Phillydude. Too bad it's been so long, but let bygones be :nod: