1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fat Loss with Shoulder Injury

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by marked, Nov 28, 2014.

1. marked

marked Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am effectively a newbie to weight training and fat loss (again). I've done it before, where I lost over 100lbs and was a cardio freak (about 10 years ago).

Well I'm about 40lbs plus off where I want to be (was more than 50 but have lost 12lbs in the past 4 weeks). I rejoined a gym a few weeks ago, and have done some Concept 2 (erg rower) work just to blow the cobwebs off.

However, as I'm always in calorie deficit (which I'm finding remarkably easy - stay off the cheese, bread, chocolate and normal portion sizes) what I want to do is minimize any lean body mass loss, which means keeping a strict diet and lifting hard with compound exercises.

Now the problem....

Last year I pulled a tendon in my shoulder so badly a piece of bone (miniscule) came off with part of the tendon. An MRI shows this with water around it, but the consultant would prefer not to operate due to it being difficult to get to and would make more trauma on the muscle tissue.

This meant I was in acute pain really only putting on shirts or coats, due to the shoulder twisting action, but over the year it's subsided to a dull ache when I do that.

So obviously compound exercises utilize shoulders, so I'm wondering if the weight gets too much for the shoulder what is best to do? Noting my aversion to losing lean body mass whilst losing fat (on that topic, as I'm carrying about 40 plus lbs of lard in a "body suit" I'd prefer to keep them rather than lose them) and if the weights get too much for it do I lower the weight, do more reps, and potentially smaller time periods between sets? Will that have the same effect on exhausting the muscles and keeping them during calorie deficit, or are there other ideas?

Best Regards

2. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

What movements cause pain? I'm wondering if squats and deadlifts are doable, as they're both fantastic for muscle growth. Oftentimes (for me), shoulder pain is bad overhead, but pulling motions don't bother it as much.

There are far brighter individuals on this forum; hopefully you'll get some other feedback. Good luck!

3. marked

marked Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.

The shoulder doesn't hurt doing any pulling routines. It's more pushing or stabilizing work with a plank. So press ups and bench press make it a bit sore. Deadlifts and squats don't hurt my shoulder but I don't fancy the 3 days of DOMS I'm going to get from that.

I did a dry run of my new routine on Friday, and my shoulder is still a bit sore. :( but not as much as my ego as this week no weight loss after stellar results for 4 weeks. And weekends with the kids are tough - particularly when the kids made a shortbread biscuit house and proceeded to decorate it with lots of sweets!

Best Regards