1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Fat loss while resting my bad foot?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Stanley_Mr.PiBB, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Stanley_Mr.PiBB

Stanley_Mr.PiBB Active Member

Hi there I'm new :)
    Thought this was probably the right section to post in. Hope so!

I recently had an accident with something falling on my foot. I've been told I have to rest it and keep it elevated.

But the thing is I am a little bit overweight for my liking (I'd like to lose about 10 - 25 lbs of fat - maybe a little more, but that would be a good start). And I really want to be doing some fat-burning cardio to try and shift that pudge. But I'm finding it hard to think of ways to burn fat while resting my foot.

I have been concentrating on some upper body resistance training for now (I use free weights at home) and hoping that will help a little. But obviously I need to do some cardio too. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also I'm worried that while I'm supposed to be resting I might put more weight on, aaargh. Perhaps I need a very low calorie diet while I'm not able to be very active?

Any suggestions would be appreciated big time :)

Thank you

Stan

#1 Stanley_Mr.PiBB, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Stanley_Mr.PiBB

Thank you.
    Ah that's a good idea! I didn't think of that :)
    Hm. The only problem is that it's a bit difficult for me to get to the pool often but I will see what I can arrange. Very good idea! Thanks very much :)

3. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

simple. eat clean foods.

read the stickies in this section to get a grasp on some nutritional information, calories needed, and macro breakdowns. if you are really looking to lose fat, getting control of your diet would be the best way if you have to stay off your foot.

keep up the resistance training you can do and good luck :eat:

4. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

I'm quoting this because diet is absolutely first and priority over what I'm suggesting.

What I'd like to add is that you can get quite a bit of aerobic work with the weight set when you are stuck somewhat close to home. If you plan out a 15 rep progression leading up to your 15 rep maximum and use short rests, you will get a good aerobic workout but you will get an anaerobic workout too. I just completed a series like this and even on the upper body lifts it got my heart rate up quite nicely. It was so aerobic that while I was doing it, I started with a brisk walk and ended with one so I'd give myself an hour of aerobics. You can't do the walk nor the lower body lifts I did, but certainly toward the beginning of the weight progression, you could just do several additional sets.

You could drag this out for quite awhile by using a very small progression. For example, using 1.25 plate-mates, you could start your progression such that you can get possibly as much as 4 weeks healing time by just using upper body lifts, yet still get progression which is very important if you want to increase muscle mass. I was skeptical that I could increase mass at 15 reps but it worked (I measured with a myotape through the process). That rep range was kind of like having your cake and eating it too (a little mass and aerobics). I would think that seated presses, bench, bentover rows (kneeling on a bench?) plus some isolations like curls, skull crushers, and shrugs would not impact the foot but would give you some exercises to work both facets.

5. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

It might help to get a better idea of where you are in terms of physical condition - what is your weight and height, BF% if known, and maybe some info on your current diet and lifting routine.

When done with minimal rest between sets, lifting can have a strong cardio component as well. As an example, I do an upper body circuit training routine that takes about 40 minutes to complete. Over the last ten sessions, I have been burning between 400-500 calories per workout, with my heart rate averaging above 120 bpm. However, if you are really immobilized such that you can't move around easily, you might not get quite as much of a cardio workout.

There is a machine as my gym that is like a "bicycle" for your arms (imagine the pedals turned upward 90º so that your hands push and pull while you are seated). If something like that is available, it would also fit the bill.

6. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

I was just going to suggest that also.

7. The1andonly

The1andonly Well-Known Member

Another vote for changing your workout and making it more aerobic. Do 12-15 reps and 4 sets.....this will allow you to either build or keep muscle and also loose weight....dont understimate the power of weights....

8. Stanley_Mr.PiBB

Wow thanks so much for all the helpful replies. Sorry I haven't replied until now but my dog has been ill and things have been a bit crazy round here.

Fantastic. I will take all your brilliant suggestions into consideration and hopefully get some great workouts and learn how to eat really cleanly.
    Looking forward to some fat loss.

Thanks so much for your help :D

Stan

9. philph

philph Well-Known Member

OMG, I used to hate that bloody thing. One time I wore my heart rate monitor and went like crazy on that thing until I felt like I was going to have a heart attack and/or die of oxygen starvation, but I swear when I checked my heart rate it was only about 5 bpm above resting level.