1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Fat Loss Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by causticmuse, Dec 2, 2004.

1. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

I came up with this spreadsheet a while back after reading Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle and Bill Phillips' Body for Life books.

http://maggiewang.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/WeightLossCalculator_v4.xls

Based on your entries of your age, weight, current body fat, goal body fat, activity level multiplier, number of meals per day and a few other factors, the sheet will automatically calculate a bunch of fat loss-related numbers for you, including your BMR based on two different formulas, your lean body mass based on current weight and body fat, how much weight you need to lose in order to reach a specific body fat goal, your BMI, daily and per meal calorie and macronutrient targets, maximum free day calories in order to still lose 1/2 or 1 lb, weekly caloric deficit, and current fat body mass. I've also added a "What if" field where you can put in your own daily calorie target manually if you don't like the calculated values to see how the other data is affected.

Customizable areas include macronutrient ratios, number of low calorie (deficit) days you plan to have per week, and number of meals per day. Because you can set whatever ratios you want for your protein, carb, and fat, the sheet can be used for cutting under any plan.

It's pretty easy to use: Fill in your data in the yellow section and the rest of the numbers will be automatically calculated for you.

Let me know if you run into any bugs, have any questions or corrections, or would like additional features put into the next version. (I'd like to eventually put in some formulas to calculate the numbers for bulking, but I don't know how much of an increase over TDEE is required on average.)

You'll need a spreadsheet program capable of opening MS Excel files in order to use this sheet.

Maggie the Excel Addict

#1 causticmuse, Dec 2, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Good job. Have you seen the worksheet back in Nutrition area. I will try to bump it up for you to compare. Should be a sticky.

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

wow, nice job ! The spreadsheet is awesome. Thank you very much.

Andre

4. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

This may be the nicest spreadsheet I have ever seen.

Edit: It works great too. This should be added to JSF for newbies who need to learn to calculate calories and nutrient ratios. You really know excel well.

5. btimby

btimby Well-Known Member

6. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

question about the activity level multiplier... does it include workout activity or not. Besides working out Im pretty inactive most of the time, so Im not entirely sure what my multiplier should be.

7. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

Put your arrow over the red square in the activity box. it breaks it down for you..

PS
    Excellent program!!!

8. reanimated838uk

yeah for some reason it goes in one ear and out the other for me (read it in other places too). Cheers. :nod:

9. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

Nicely done! I can see I should still be eating more. :P

10. causticmuse

I know...if I put in an activity multiplier of 1.55 (I exercise for 60-120 minutes a day 6 days a week), I get a regular fat loss range of 1784-1896 calories/day, and an accelerated range of 1561-1673 calories/day. Both of these are higher than what I've been doing, and I'm a bit hesitant to go that high. I think I'm paranoid about gaining the weight back even after going to the trouble of making up this fancypants spreadsheet based on Tom Venuto's solid formulas. :P

I'm going to give the accelerated values a try for a few weeks and see what happens. Right now I know I can lose fat with an average of 1200-1400 calories, but it would be kind of nice to see just how much I can eat without gaining any weight, too.

-Maggie :eat:

11. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

Well, I lose quite well on 1500 calories a day (5'4, 125 pounds with at *least* 60 minutes of activity daily), so I've been trying to get in at least 2K a day lately to maintain, not including a conservative 'cheat day'/high calorie day of about 2500 calories. I'd like to lose a bit more, but the ol' hormones are out of whack so trying to get the body out of shock first. :) I'd pass out at 1200 - at 1500 I feel like I'm starving and am grumpy and dizzy.

12. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

I'm not sure by "High Cal Day" is this a refeed/Cheat day each week?

I'm going to shoot for the manual low numbers of 1200 Cals plus workout cals.. Which means a total around 1500 for me..

Great program!! Thanks

13. causticmuse

I was okay at around 1250-1400 when I was only doing the BFL workouts (3 days of weights for around 45-60 minutes each day, and a whopping total of 60 minutes of cardio a week), but ever since I increased my cardio I flat out cannot stick with such a low calorie range. I've been eating closer to 1500-1650 for the past week, and I'm a much happier camper now. :)

-Maggie

14. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

When I put in my stats and use 1.55 it is pretty accurate for me to what I'm doing now. Although, I workout more in the 1.75 range.

CASD, those are scary low amounts of cals for a 198 lb man.

15. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks for the spreadsheet. :D Your website is awesome! It looks like you really put a lot of work into it. Great job on your transformation too. You are really dedicated. Goodluck reaching your goals. :tu:

16. causticmuse

Yes, the high calorie day is a refeed/cheat day...or simply one that is at your maintenance level to keep your metabolism from slowing down. When you input the number of low cal (deficit) days you want per week, it assumes that the remaining number of days will be at maintenance TDEE level. If you are doing BFL or some variation of it and have an entire cheat DAY, the free day maximum fields will tell you how high you can go without completely wiping out your deficit for the week.

The manual field is there to let you play around with your own values in case you don't like the calculated fat loss calorie ranges. Generally speaking, I think the calculated ranges are a good starting point, but the manual low calorie target field is there just in case you want to try out other numbers.

1200 calories was just in there as an example, not a recommendation. ;)

-Maggie

17. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

Yea it's alittle low.. But I don't like feeding the fat only the LBM which is around 150-155 lbs. :)
    but I've changed it to 1550 cals plus workout cals burned..so I'll be doing 1800-1850 cals per day..

#17 CASD, Dec 3, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  18. causticmuse

New spreadsheet version

I updated my weight loss spreadsheet with a few extra features:

• quick and dirty bulking calorie range values
    • body fat calculators for 3- and 7-site caliper measurements (formulas from T-nation article here )
    • fat loss/lean mass gained calculator
    • measurement log

The link at the top of the page is the latest version (3), or you can grab it from here: http://maggiewang.com/bfl/WeightLossCalculator_v3.xls

19. reanimated838uk

20. causticmuse