1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fat Loss Foods most recommended by JSF members

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by gravityhomer, Nov 11, 2006.

1. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think that's what I figured out.:) There's no one "right" way to do it, so it's difficult (or impossible) to get it all into one thread or post.

I think a collection of summarized diet plans from dozens of different users would be very useful, and I think someone has started up a thread like that.

It does seem that sometimes a collective gathering of different strategies or different foods all thrown together as a fat loss plan can end up being less useful than the separate posts on their own. Like the heavy cream issue. I would never use it myself, but I know a lot of people that would never eat fruit and yogurt like I do in the middle of a fat loss plan.

2. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Saturated fat is definitely not evil.

Remember in the old days, it was "fat is evil" and then we "wised up" and said, no, "unsaturated fats are healthy, and all saturated fats are evil."

See, people learned fat is not just fat, but there are actually different types of fats. Of course, we still decided to acknowledge that, hey, yes, unsaturated fats are not only healthy, but there are different types - monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, omega-3, omega-6, etc.

But saturated fats are still evil, right?

Well, it turns out that saturated fats come in different forms as well, and research that doesn't lump all saturated fats together indicates that some saturated fats may reduce cholesterol.

Then of course there is the whole idea of whether cholesterol is what we should be looking at anyway. That idea is being challenged, but it will be a long time coming mainstream. Why? So many people have it ingrained that, "My doctor says high cholesterol is a problem" and "There are many studies" (i.e. Google) so it's been taken as a fact. I don't know if people just are ignorant to the role pharmaceutical companies play in this, or don't link the two together, but with cholesterol-lowering medication taking the cake (to the tune of billions) it will be a long time before we're "allowed" to see any other solution.

The fact is that research suggests cholesterol is NOT a great market of cardiovascular risk and that there are a high percentage of people with "high" cholesterol who DON'T suffer from cardiovascular disease and I believe (and I dont have it here so don't take this as a hard quote) but something like 50% of people who DO get cardiovascular disease have NORMAL cholesterol levels. But again, it sells a lot and now twice as many people are on them because the pharmaceutical lobby decided they needed to increase sales a few years back and figured out at what level they could lower the limit to encouraging doctors to prescribe medication in order to double sales.

I suspect that modified fats like trans fats are probably dangerous. I suspect that fats not normally in meats (for example, the marbled fat that has been genetically bred into cows as opposed to what the fat content of a wild animal is like) is probably not good. Natural sources of saturated fats (the fats in yolks from healthy, free range chickens, the fat in heavy cream from cows that aren't pumped so full of steroids they can barely walk without tripping over their uterus, the fat in natural foods like coconut and avocado) are probably fine in moderation.

Another thing to consider is that saturated fats, in excess, can be manufactured into cholesterol, hence an increase of cholesterol. However, so can carbohydrates. In fact, so can proteins - excess proteins can be oxidized as energy and then the excess energy can be transformed to triglycerides which then can turn to cholesterol.

So, if you are eating an excess of calories that you aren't using (i.e. you are an American on the Standard American Diet watching TV) then the excess fats probably ARE a problem. If, however, you are gaining quality muscle, maintaining weight, or even losing weight, then your fats are most likely being metabolized and not at risk to become cholesterol or other nasty things unless your body needs the cholesterol.

I think right now, just as we were fat-ignorant a few decades ago, most people in the world are now saturated fat-ignorant, and in perhaps the next few years people will learn and accept and grow more to understand that probably most natural items like the saturated fat in an avocado or coconut are NOT bad, that natural foods in moderation including the saturated fats are fine, it's our unaturally skewed diets and lifestyle that create the issues.

Here's an interesting read on the whole cholesterol thing. Note that it found healthy fats DID NOT lower cholesterol, yet they STILL decreased risk of mortality MORE than statin-lowering drugs. Cholesterol is the red herring being dangled in front of everyone to fuel the billion dollar pharmaceutical industry. Look into homeocystein and other markers for the real story on cholesterol, and take a gander at Udo Erasmus' for more on fats ... despite his book being published three decades ago, there is still a lot of information in there people refuse to wake up to today.

3. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

good food for thought Jeremy.

I'm going to add my personal favorites
    hummus
    edamame beans
    shrimp

4. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Sorry Chris- purely a typo. :D

You think I'd remember since it's my name too. :o

5. phitness

phitness Well-Known Member

I proudly cast my vote for:

Eggs/Egg Whites
    Vegetables (general)
    Chicken Breast
    Cottage cheese
    Tuna (in water)
    Almonds
    Oats (dry)
    Peanut butter (natural)
    Brown Rice
    Flax Seed Oil
    Fish (general)
    Brocolli
    Green Beans
    Spinach
    Romaine Lettuce
    Protein Powder
    Whey
    Carrots
    Caffeine (coffee and tea)
    Shrimp

I would vote for Heavy Cream, but I've just started using it in my nutrition.

Good thread GH! :tucool:

6. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks phitty ness, I've bumped your favorites.

Oh no, there may be a heavy cream fad sweeping JSF!

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not presuming to speak for Mastover or anything but the heavy cream tip seems to be totally in the "build lean mass" philosophy and speaks to cutting fat on a hypocaloric diet.

8. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks friend. :)

Honestly, I recommend almonds because I like them. :) Many other nuts would be good imho.

Agreed. :)

NP!

I would have no problem using heavy cream if fat-loss was the main goal. :)

9. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I picked up some almonds and grapefruit today because you're always recommending them. Almonds are really tasty, much more than peanuts. I'll have the grapefruit tomorrow. Probably been 20 years since I last had a grapefruit.

10. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Wow, great list!:tucool:

Brown rice
    turkey
    collard greens
    beans (I love pinto beans!)
    cottage cheese (full fat)
    natural peanut butter
    pumpkin seeds

I do a lot better at losing fat when I'm eating more fat. It also keeps me feeling more full. :)

11. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

beans, beans, good for the heart...

added your selections, thanks butterflyer.

12. Depalma2002

Depalma2002 Active Member

I'll vote for all those that I eat everyday:

Eggs
    Grapefruit
    Natural Peanut Butter
    GG Scandanavian Crispbread
    All Bran w/extra Fiber
    Skim Milk
    Blueberries
    Grape Tomatoes
    Rolled Oats
    SF FF Yogurt
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Chicken Breast
    Fish Oil
    Almonds

#32 Depalma2002, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  13. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

thanks for contributing. Are rolled oats the same as dry oats?

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Just less processed than "instant" oats. Rolled are also known as "Old Fashioned". Instant oats are ground smaller, and are steamed a bit to pre cook them more (although I believe rolled are also cooked, but less).

It goes like this in order of more processed to less:

instant->rolled or old fashioned->steel cut or irish->groats

15. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

I'll bump what I've been eating during my so succesful cut:

Water ;)
    Chicken Breast
    Cottage cheese
    Peanut butter
    Brown Rice
    Olive Oil
    Brocolli
    Green Beans
    Whey Protein Powder
    Caffeine (coffee and tea)
    Dextrose (PWO)

16. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks, I'll just lump them together as "oats."

water :doh: , thanks I added these.

17. Bud the C.H.U.D.

Bud the C.H.U.D. Active Member

I want to add Low Sodium V-8 to this list. It's low calorie, has lots of vitamins (A & C especially), a ton of potassium, and 2g each of dietary fiber and protein.

I know that's not a ton of protein, but it's more than I expected....

18. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I usually drink water, but it looks pretty good to me. It has less sugar than milk.

http://www.v8juice.com/v8.aspx?ProductID=2464

19. divided

divided Active Member

wow, second strong thread i saw today! JSF sure has some fantastic members and articles. Props. :tucool:

20. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Lots of references to "heavy cream".

Could you name a brand or source?

I go into my supermarket and I don't specifically see anything there referred to as heavy cream.

Perhaps I am not looking in the right place or maybe I can't see the forest for the trees;

Haven't used dairy for awhile.....but I might give it a shot on the next bulk.

All I used before was evaporated milk....but the heavy cream sounds like a better idea.

#40 HevyMetal, Nov 24, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2006