1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fat Loss Foods most recommended by JSF members

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by gravityhomer, Nov 11, 2006.

1. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I went back through the past 3 months (in just this sub-forum) looking at threads where someone's fat loss diet is critiqued and I listed all the foods that were recommended. They are listed below along with how many times each was recommended.

The point being, if you are devising a fat loss plan or currently have one, and you don't see many of the foods listed below then you should change some things.

If anyone has any other foods that you think are great for fatloss, please post them, and I'll add them to the list as having 1 vote.

This is how this will work. If you feel your particular favorite should be higher on the list then vote for it here in this thread and it will be bumped up. Everyone can bump each food item once.

For example, if you think grapefruit, and oats are too low on the list. then vote to make them 1 higher, and I will do it.

Likewise if you think brown rice is too high on the list because you don't think it is good, then vote for all foods except brown rice. And I will bump all foods but brown rice.

each member only has the ability to bump each item once. this is fat loss by democracy.

20 ____ eggs/egg whites
    16 ____ chicken breast
    14 ____ peanut butter (natural)
    14 ____ vegetables (general)
    13 ____ cottage cheese
    13 ____ almonds
    12 ____ oats (dry)
    12 ____ brown rice
    12 ____ tuna (in water)
    11 ____ fruit (general)
    10 ____ turkey
    10 ____ brocolli
    9 _____ lean beef
    9 _____ flax seed oil
    9 _____ grapefruit
    9 _____ oatmeal
    7 _____ yams/sweet potatoes
    7 _____ salmon
    7 _____ fish (general)
    7 _____ fish oil (including caps)
    7 _____ spinach
    7 _____ green beans
    6 _____ protein powder
    5 _____ romaine lettuce
    5 _____ olive oil
    5 _____ whey
    4 _____ splenda
    4 _____ berries
    4 _____ caffeine (coffee and tea)
    4 _____ whole wheat bread
    4 _____ carrots
    4 _____ heavy cream
    4 _____ water
    3 _____ walnuts
    3 _____ onions
    3 _____ shrimp
    3 _____ legumes/beans
    3 _____ yogurt
    2 _____ asparagus
    2 _____ avocado
    2 _____ mushrooms
    2 _____ cucumbers
    2 _____ pineapple
    2 _____ raisins
    2 _____ pork chops
    2 _____ green tea
    2 _____ sugar free ice pops
    2 _____ artichoke hearts
    2 _____ celery
    2 _____ sugar free jello
    2 _____ cinnamon (the spice, not a cinnamon roll)
    2 _____ oat bran
    2 _____ hummus
    2 _____ edamame beans
    2 _____ pinto beans
    2 _____ pumpkin seeds
    2 _____ collard greens
    2 _____ GG Scandanavian crisp bread
    2 _____ all bran w/ extra Fiber
    2 _____ skim Milk
    2 _____ grape tomatoes
    2 _____ dextrose
    2 _____ Low Sodium V-8
    2 _____ oysters
    1 _____ hemp oil
    1 _____ apples
    1 _____ kashi Go Lean
    1 _____ organic food
    1 _____ grass-fed meat sources

#1 gravityhomer, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. dluc

dluc Active Member

Nice post GH:tu:

3. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

thanks dluc, but many of the suggestions came from a lot your posts so thanks go to you too.

4. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Nice post. The only thing I'd add for the benefit of beginners is this: there are individual differences in results to specific foods. In my case, a few of the foods on that list (while being super-healthy in my opinion, and a great support for fat loss), instantly lead me into very excessive overeating. Almonds, peanutbutter and raisins all come to mind - and oats to a lesser degree. Usually I am incredibly well disciplined, but those foods seem to increase my appetite the moment I get a taste of them! Even while bulking, I find I'm best leaving nuts as an occasional cheat.

By the way, I'd personally like to add to the fat-loss food list: decaffeinated green tea, sugar-free ice pops and artichoke hearts.

5. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

That's an interesting bit of digging, GH. Nice work (you do have a life, yes? J/K!!! :D )

There's an axiom that the wisdom of the crowd, even unspoken, is often the most correct.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a fat-loss list, but just a great "grocery list". :tu:

Nice post.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Interesting.

I've always been intrigued when heavy cream is included in a list of healthy foods. All of the major health experts' dietary advice says that when you choose dairy products, you should choose the ones that are lower in fat. Heavy cream is a significant source of saturated fat. Generalized fat loss tips would recommend that you keep this intake to a minimum.

Because I usually focus on the health aspect of foods, so sometime I miss out on recommending some foods that might aid in "fat loss", but that are close to nutritionally void. I'm thinking here of some natural appetite suppressants, (foods which are high in fibre and water, which fill up your stomach without adding a lot of calories) . Here's some that I can think of:
    raw carrots, celery, cucumber
    sugar free Jello
    soup and chili
    coffee and tea - the caffeine can be helpful for fat loss as well
    cinnamon has been rumored to have some fat loss properties and other significant health benefits

7. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I'll now add these to the list because you just recommended them. That's how this works. if someone else recommends them in this thread It'll bump them higher.

Thanks. :lol: Yes I do, the life of a grad student. Only took about 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure both times the heavy cream was recommended by mastover as apart of a PWO shake/meal. I'll check or maybe we can ask him.
    I'll add these, thanks!

8. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

About heavy cream. Mastover uses it, Jeff (GTX) has, I have...

It's not something to use "casually" as yes, it is high in saturated fats. But it can be very useful in the bodybuilders diet. It's rather an "oldie but a goodie".

9. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

so how exactly is it used. Like when and why for instance?

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bumpz for:
    --
    Salmon
    Oats
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Olive Oil
    Flaxseed Oil
    Natural Peanut Butter
    Brown Rice
    Lean Beef
    Almonds

Shout Outz for:
    --
    Yogurt
    Oat Bran

Regarding heavy cream, this is Mastover's comment on it from Maya's journal:

11. dluc

dluc Active Member

I think I remember reading GTX saying that it's delicious with strawberry Nitrean, so my guess would be with a shake at some point in the day? I'm not sure if it would be PWO due to the fat content. Guess we'll have to wait and see from the source himself.

12. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

bumpz done.

I addz them. thanks for looking that up m@z

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No problem. :p

With my lactose intolerance I usually just avoid anything dairy out of hand. After I saw him post that I bookmarked it, though I still haven't added heavy cream to my diet yet.

Thanks for assembling yet another incredibly useful nutrition repository. :bow:

14. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I hearz dat.

no problemz. wait people are going to think I actually talk like this, I should stop.

Yeah, I've subconsciously stayed away from this subforum, because I felt I really only had beginner knowledge. but then I said screw that, I just have to start somewhere and learn what I can. So while I was reading back through the forum, it seemed like a good idea to put this together. It's definitely helped me. The next step I'm thinking about putting together, is what times of day the above food seem to be most recommended. And then hopefully the whole thing would tail spin into an incredibly useful discussion on advanced nutrition for fat loss. My goal is to help out many of the really smart people here, who selflessly field the same questions over and over about fat loss plans.

15. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm trying the same thing.

Advanced Fat Loss

But I didn't get very far. :(

I thought Maya was bulking.:confused: That doesn't appear to be a fat loss tip.

16. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

As a fat in protein shakes (like flax, olive etc).

Yup- it's saturated but the track record of bodybuilders touting it goes back to Gironda and others. The diet does need -some-saturated fat. For bodybuilders eating very clean and partitioned meals, this is one way to get it.

Not too mention it makes every shake taste like icecream ;)

Not sure if I'd keep it on this list or not.

17. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Guava, this is some great stuff. I don't think it should be buried at the end of Marcus's sticky. put it in its own thread. newcomers will never read the whole sticky, and many people that had subscribed to the sticky probably have since unsubscribed (like me) or left the forum. And since it mainly pertains to fat loss, I would put it here, rather than the beginners forum.
    the two times it was recommended it was here in this sub forum for addition to fat loss plans.

Hort, are you recommending all food be bumped, but heavy cream? say the word and I'll do it. But I'm going to leave it there as you've now explained it's use.

18. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Who is Jeff? ;)

Yes, good in both strawberry and vanilla, good in Ultimate Muscle Protein as a pudding too. :)

I don't think I would get far with a post like that either, because I've seen so many people do things successfully using so many different methods.

But I feel cream can be good in a fat loss phase.

I would keep it on the list.

19. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey Chris, this list was largely put together from your suggestions in this forum. I would say more than half of all diet critiquing threads had extensive recommendations by you. Great job man! JSF member of the year for sure.

Any additions you'd like to add, or particular favorites you'd like to bump.

Oh and out of curiosity, why are almonds most recommended of all the nuts?

20. johnnielow

johnnielow Active Member

Outstanding job GravityHomer!!