1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Fat in chicken..

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by in|sane, Jan 10, 2005.

1. in|sane

in|sane Well-Known Member

Eating alot of chicken fillet, and it says that the fat is like 5gr/100gr...That seems alot. Is there really that much fat in chicken meat, or is this the fat that can "hang around" the fillet which ya remove before preparing it (atleast i do this). Any thoughts on this ?

2. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

I dont have an answer but I wouldn't worry about it, being only 5% it won't hurt. As an example I have a grandmother and a cousin who have a digestive medical condition where their doctors have them on a diet of "chooters", baked potatoes and applesauce/pudding/jello. They aren't allowed much fat or fiber intake and chooters works for them.

On a side note- last night as I was making turkey burgers I noticed the package read 15% fat (Honeysuckle ground turkey). Then I went into fitday and was equally suprised by the high level of fat that they show for it.

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I try to buy 93% or 98/99% fat free ground turkey... it doesn't cost much more but it's a good way to eliminate saturated fat. I did that last night - 99% fat free ground turkey, but fried them... in a little olive oil, which is much healthier than animal fat.

4. Chadster

Thanks I'll definately read it from now on, I had assumed all turkey was like 95%+ and didn't notice it till I was slapping the burgers into the forman!

5. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

If it's ground up meat, it's in the stores favor to grind all the fat into the meat right along with the meat. That, along with increased risk for food borne infection, is the reason I don't buy ground meat. If you get whole chicken breasts or turkey and make sure you cut off all the fat (just use scissors) it'll be much more lean than you could ever get with ground meat.

6. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

7. Acliff

Acliff Well-Known Member

Remember that with burgers and mince, alot of the fat will drip off on grilling.

8. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

I'd rather cut it off and throw it in the trash than rely on it to drip off, though you are right and the george foreman grill in particular does do a great job of cutting a lot of fat out. In the case of poultry I'd rather have a whole breast sandwich or grilled breast than a chicken burger anyway. Who ever heard of a chicken burger? Beef is burger.

9. John Jones

John Jones Well-Known Member

Just to add a little.....when buying gorund turkey....make sure you're buying ground turkey BREAST, not just ground turkey. There's a difference; the ground turkey breast has almost no fat, and is much higher in protien

10. Chadster

Thanks - good point.