1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fat burner for energy

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by tammy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. tammy

tammy Well-Known Member

I just bought these Green Tea Fat burner gel caps by Applied Nutrition. I tend to be really skeptical about any diet products, but even if they don't help me burn fat, they are great for energy without the jitters. When I've taken caffeine pills, they just made me feel jittery rather than awake, and when I've taken energy drinks or bars, they've had no effect at all on me, except to slim down my bank account. When I started exercising, I've often needed a good nap afterwards.

I've only taken them a few days, but when I do, I notice that not only do I feel more energetic during the day, but I need less sleep. Normally, if left without a device, I'll sleep 8.5 or more hours. The days that I've taken this fat burner, I've woken up after 5-7 hours without the aid of an alarm clock! Not only that, but these are much cheaper than other diet supplements I've seen. I got a pack of 30 for only $3.98

The only problem is that Wal-mart had them on a temporary basis. I saw a place you can get them on-line, but they're more expensive plus I have to pay shipping and of course, have to wait for them to arrive. I live in a small city so I'm not sure where else I'd be able to get them.

2. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Tammy, this ties in with your other thread about wanting to do the bare minimum to get buy and eat convenience foods rather than changing your habits to embrace healthier, less processed foods. If you take a quality multi and eat whole foods, you will gain much more energy than eating a highly processed diet and taking fat burners.

What's worse, the jitters you get from the energy tablets are negative side effects. Your adrenaline system is being stressed. Stress creates cortisol and this inhibits fat loss. So you might FEEL more energetic, but your body is actually in a state of stress and may not be as capable of burning fat as the marketing hype would have you believe.

Finally, your body does adapt to the energy burners. If you continue to take them, you can suffer from overtraining and fatigue from the overstimulation of your parasympathetic nervous system. If you cycle off of them then you simply lose the energy kick you were receiving and reintroduce the negative side effects when you cycle back on.

Jeremy

3. _Christopher_

_Christopher_ Well-Known Member

I get some good energy from Ripped Fuel, which has green tea extract in it, as well as some other herbal ingredients. I've been on it a week and its pretty nice so far.

4. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

Good post, Jeremy :tu:

5. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

Yea I agree Pixie..

I didn't know the Fat burners could cause a problem with burning fat..
    I learn something new almost everyday here..

6. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

i tried that junk a while back....my advice is THROW IT IN THE TRASH NOW!!

towards the end i had this eye twitch that WOULD NOT GO AWAY!!! i couldnt sleep had no appetite...which as we all know is VERY BAD....i got so "energized" i was exhausted, couldnt concentrate worth a damn..

thats why i stay FAR away from any of those "energy" pills...eat the right foods get the right amount of sleep, keep hittin it hard in the gym, you'll have all the energy you'll need. :tu:

7. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

I'm totally w/ you SP;
    A long while back, way before I knew any better, I was in the military and working alot and training for a triathlon. One day I took one (offered by a coworker also training for the same tri) 'Ripped Fuel' before my mid-day training session b/c I knew I'd have to be back at work afterwards. I did my training session (felt no marked difference from any other training session), and showered, had lunch, and went back to work. For hours after, my heart was racing and I was pacing rapidly back & forth, round & round my workstation. I felt jittery and thought I was going to puke up my lunch. Went to a meeting and was thumping the underside of the table w/ my knee and didn't notice until the person next to me asked me to stop. I will never forget that feeling, and that is why I haven't taken any such thing since.

If you get quality workouts in, followed by proper nutrition, rest & recovery, you'll attain all the energy you need.
    Of course, some days are better than others, then have a bit of coffee or tea.
    ummm, coffee...

8. JeremyLikness

Yup. If you're interested in green tea as a fat-burning agent, don't spend some ridiculous amount for a kitchen-sink formulation that contains it. Just order the tea!

Jeremy

9. _Christopher_

I think you all took the version with Ephedra. The current formula replaced Ephedra (which gives you the jitters) with green tea extract.

10. PhilipDC78

PhilipDC78 Well-Known Member

I don't see how they could have had the one with Ephedra since that has been banned for years now. The most likely reason for the jitters is caffeine that is in it.

11. _Christopher_

It was banned in Dec of 2003.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/12/30/ephedra/

12. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

I've not taken ephedra...I've seen what it can do to an EKG profile.
    Caffeine can also totally give you jitters... :spaz:

13. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

nah man, i know what i take and i've taken both versions and i have NOTHING good to say about either of them.

Even if you do feel "energized" ANYONE who knows ANYTHING on these boards will tell you, diet and sleep...thats the key.

IMO anything else is just a crutch and if you start relying on it all the time you will not get anywhere. Our bodies build up natural tolerances to foreign substances, same idea as with drugs like coke and heroin, you need more and more to get the desired effect. Dont wast your $$ on "fat burners", be your own natural fat burner. Eat right, get the right amount of calories each day, get a good nights sleep, work your butt off in the gym.

when i started feeling drained with no motivation, i adjusted the above areas and instantly felt better. Get an mp3 player or something for your workouts, concentrate on the music and zone in on your task at hand. Works for me. good luck.

14. JeremyLikness

That's exactly the issue. Ephedra was one of the most studied thermogenics around and was SHOWN to be effective. None of these kitchen-sink mad doctor replacement formulas have any science to back them. I have yet to see a formula that does. What happens is they have all of these great studies that cite fat burning. When you actually do the research and yank the study, you'll find it was done with ducks or rats, or the dose was about 100 times higher than what is in the bottle, or it was a study with only 7 people.

The marketing is great, though. Add enough caffeine, and you'll get jitters and feel energy. That's enough for people to "swear its working" and start sharing how effective it is.

The truth is, its probably no more effective at burning fat than simply eating clean and exercising. What it IS effective is at making you FEEL like you're burning fat. And, hey, that might be a good thing if psychology it keeps you on your program!

Jeremy

15. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

What Jeremy said to infinity, and beyond.

--

Flip side of the coin I'd say that even if these things do work and give you nice constant energy long term (which they won't), they are still not good for you. The more junk you put in your system the worse of it is. If you're able to get a good excercise regiment, eat fairly cleanly, and sleep adequately, you will feel better than any drug can make you.

16. _Christopher_

Ok, I'm off of em. I dont know if it was doing anything or not for fat loss, but it was messing with me, since I take meds for anxiety and it says not to take them if you are depressed or anxious, etc.