1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Fasted Cardio and Fat Oxidation

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by stevemrdcs, Sep 30, 2008.

1. stevemrdcs

stevemrdcs Active Member

There was a post awhile back about fasted cardio and why.
    With the onset of exercise there is an increase in lipolysis(breakdown of fats into fatty acids and glycerol).
    Lipolysis is regulated by hormones:
    * stimulated by catecholamines
    * inhibited by insulin

Ingesting carbs the hours before exercise will raise insulin and suppress fat oxidation.
    This can last as long as 6 hrs after a meal.

There are other areas that affect fat oxidation such as exercise intensity, mode of exercise, duration of exercise and your level of fitness.

Making it simple- in a semi fasted state and given the right intensity of exercise: you can oxidize more fat.

There are some drawbacks- such as reduced exercise capacity.

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

For more on this, see mastover's recent thread about a study of fasted cardio here.

3. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Ahhh, U gotta love this topic and the 100's of former threads about HIIT vs. "LISS" as it's called here. (never heard LISS before I was a member here) I've written quite a lot of posts in such threads, but now I stick with the advice of, "best plan of action is to find what works for you personally as an individual".

:tucool:

I stay waaaaay up in the cheap seats and watch the action from afar with binoculars or via the "JumboTron". :lol::lol:

~SC~
    CEO of Net's BEST customized fitness protocols BAR NONE.
    www.gotswole.com
    www.vizualxcellence.com
    www.swolecat.com
    www.chrisjanusz.com