1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Falhurk's Fitness Journal - "Dawn of a New Day"

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Falhurk, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Falhurk

Falhurk Well-Known Member

I am in the midst of re-inventing my Journal. There's more relevant information I want to put at the top here.

"100" Challenges

May 2007
    March 2009
    April 2009

1.0 GOALS AND INTRODUCTION

Hello once again fine folks of JSF.

Much like everyone else here, I'm sick and tired of not participating in events based on my physical prowess. The time has come to stop eating crap, stop lying around hoping that my life will find its way into a positive direction.

So, with that in mind, I've done a little (albeit far from complete) amount of research to try and get myself going in the right direction.

I wonder if anyone knows where the reference "Dawn of a New Day" comes from. lol.

-------------------
    Stats: 04/25/07

Name: Stephen
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 208 Pounds
    BF %: Not sure yet
    -------------------

Pictures: Alright, I'll post them. Brace yourselves.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There are three things that my plan needs to succeed, I think these three things are vital to everyone's plans as they are the three elements that ultimatly all successful plans for transformation are composed of.

1.) A goal, an idea of what I'd like to become.
    2.) A well-rounded diet.
    3.) An exercise plan.

With these three concepts being exercised, as long as they're looked at in great detail and followed, there should be no reason that I can't transform myself from what I am now to what I want to become.

I will be reserving three posts in this thread so that I can kind of break down my thoughts a bit. I'll not be able to post pictures until I get home as I'm at work (on lunch) right now. Hopefully I'll get some good feedback, but if nothing else, this will be a good place for me to record my progress and see how things are going.

More to come...

#1 Falhurk, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Falhurk

2.0 DIET

My current diet:

5:00 AM: 1 packet of reduced sugar instant quaker oatmeal. 1 glass of Orange Juice. 1 Multivitamin.
    8:30 AM: 1 can of tuna, drained
    12:00 Noon: Multi-grain Bagel w/ 2tbsp fat-free Strawberry Cream Cheese
    3:00 PM: 1 chicken breast, re-heated.
    6:00 PM: 1 banana + Protein shake (1.5 servings, after workout)
    9:00 PM: Huevos Rancheros Wrap* (Found it in the newest Mens Health magazine) 1 Multivitamin.

Revisions that need to be made:

1.) It incorporates more veggies
    2.) has about 400 more calories
    3.) Contains at least an additional 10% fat
    4.) Is a little more balanced in terms of when I get hungry. I do my swimming and walking and stuff in the morning so the small packet of oatmeal and juice leaves me hungry about an hour before the next meal.

More complex breakdown coming soon.

#2 Falhurk, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. Falhurk

3.0 FITNESS

This portion will have to do with the fitness aspects of things including gym equipment/routine and other such stuff.

Now, I've recently went to the gym (last night) to write down the names of what equipment is availible so that I can come up with a full-body workout, knowing that there's no way that the equipment won't be availible (unless something breaks down or something).

The equipment they have at my gym is as follows:

Shoulder Press
    Vertical Row
    Vertical Bench
    Seated Cable Row
    Lat Pulldown
    Pec Dec
    Inner Thigh
    Outer Thigh
    Back Extension
    Abdominal Machine
    Leg Curl
    Standing Calf
    Standing Leg Curl
    Leg Extension
    Butt Master
    Lying Leg Press
    Bicep Machine
    Tricep Pressdown Machine
    Chinup + Leg Lift
    Rowing machine
    Stationary Bike
    Stepping Machine
    Elliptical Machine
    Treadmill
    Free Weights

There is NO barbell

So, not having a barbell is kind of a problem, it seems a lot of peoples recommended exercises requires it. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something that will let me get a reasonable workout done with what I have availible to me.

I also found out today that I'm incredibly weak :(

I wanted to test out some of the equipment (and see where I stand from a strength standpoint) and this is all I could do:

15x25lb Bicep Machine
    8x25lb Bicep Machine
    8x25lb Bicep Machine

14x80lb Vertical Bench (I'm sure I could go 90, but damn, can I only bench 90?)
    10x80lb Vertical Bench
    7x80lb Vertical Bench

10x100lb Vertical Row
    8x100lb Vertical Row
    8x100lb Vertical Row

On the bright side, almost everything at my gym are machines, so it's more difficult to screw up form and/or injure myself.

I only did 15 minutes on the elliptical machine (though it was pretty good) and I think I could easily do 30mins+ on it.

One thing I don't think I did correctly was rest. I didn't take too much time to rest, though I didn't have my watch with me so I couldn't time it either (which is what I would generally do). Today, my arms and chest hurt a little, but I think I should have pushed myself more. Blah, anyone with any ideas on how to lift more? Or is that not as important right now?

#3 Falhurk, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. Falhurk

Friday, April 27th 2007

Well, today has been off to a poor start. I woke up extremely late so I missed both my walk up to the pool and my swim today. At least for now. I can make it up, when I go tonight but in my haste to get out of the damn house I forgot two of the meals I was supposed to bring to work. In addition, I missed my 5:00 AM breakfast.

BLAH!!!

The only thing I managed to remember was my multivitamin. I have to tighten this up, this is rediculous.

In any case, if I can get my shit together, my day should look like this.

7:30 AM Wake up, get ready for work.
    8:30 AM Arrive at the office, take multivitamin and orange juice (luckily I had some)
    9:00 AM Start working
    12:00 PM Have my bagel and cream cheese.
    5:00 PM Get off work
    6:00 PM Get home, Eat Huevos Rancheros wrap as it's the largest meal I have. Then, start walking up to the gym/pool.
    7:00 PM Get to the gym, start on elliptical, cardio.
    7:30 PM Start with some weight training, focusing on lower body today.
    8:00 PM Finish workout, eat banana and protein shake, either start on cardio again or go down to the pool.
    8:30 PM Start Swimming, do lengths, as many as I can get in.
    10:00 - 10:30 PM Leave the pool
    11:30 PM Get home, eat something (protein, probably the chicken breast or tuna I had missed earlier) and then sleep.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

-----------------------------

Still sore from Thursdays gym time, I guess I'm going to have to build up quite a bit, didn't realize I was so out-of-shape. Starting to understand why you give those muscles a week rest lol.

-----------------------------

Goals for today:

Eat 5/6 meals
    Walk a total of 90-120 minutes (14k roughly)
    Swim 64 lengths (1600 meters)
    Do at LEAST 30 minutes on elliptical or similar cardio.
    Work on legs at the gym
    Drink at least 2 liters of water.
    Take multivitamin towards the end of the day (fortunately, I'm pretty good for remembering this one)

#4 Falhurk, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd estimate your BF% around 23-25%, leaning more towards the high-end 'cause you're not carrying much muscle mass.

Your back looks much broader than your chest. Some of that is the size difference in the photos but I think most of it's your posture.

It looks like you've got a great frame for packing on muscle but just haven't done it yet. How big around are your wrists?

6. Falhurk

Hmm, my wrists. I can JUST touch my middle finger and thumb, so about 7.5 inches (just checked on a ruler).

I've been working on losing weight (fat mostly, I hope lol.) And have slimmed down a bit, I want to be around 180 before I really try and build a ton of muscle, though in the meantime I want to build a fair amount.

7. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

I concur.

Jeremy

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I should've guessed 'cause that's what I'd figured. You've got a big frame and can carry a shitload of muscle mass. :nod:

180 lbs would put you around 12-14% which is a good area to build from. If you want to go down to the visible ab range you'll want to shoot for 170 lbs. This is, of course, assuming your current lean mass to be 156 lbs (75% of 208 lbs). You may pack on some more muscle in the interim and work that LM% upwards. Make sure to make the resistance training a priority. While machines may not be "ideal", they're plenty good for your purposes.

9. Falhurk

Yeah, the only problem I'm having really is that I'm not sure what kind of breakdown I should be doing in terms of a weight routine.

Right now, I'm kind of getting a feel for what machines are there and how they work... but I don't really know how many exercises or what machines I should use.

I'm confident I can lose the weight, I'm just worried that I wont put on much/any muscle in the meantime giving me that skinny-fat look, which doesn't really do it for me.

I'd appreciate anyone with advice :bow:

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Then start there. Did you get any free personal training sessions with your gym membership? Having a trainer put together your first program is a great way to start. You don't need to be looking at the 100% super-elite awesomeness level of bodybuilding and plan efficiency. You'll start to form those opinions once you've logged some training time and become involved in communities like JSF.

If you want to put a full body routine together by yourself then I'd start thus:

Most of the machines should have a diagram of what bodypart they're supposed to target. Pick:

1 for your legs that works your quadriceps
    1 for your legs that works your hamstrings
    1 for your back that works your lower back
    1 for your back that works your upper back
    1 for your shoulders
    1 for your chest

Work those machines 3x/week to get a feel for them. If there are multiple machines that work one of those bodyparts, try different machines on different days (e.g. Monday - Leg Extension, Wednesday - Leg Press, Friday - Leg Extension)

Do 3 sets of 8-10 reps for each exercise.

Keep reading and asking questions while you get acclimated.

Keep up your routine for 4-6 weeks before changing.

Take pictures every other week for your own reference.

Don't worry about the amount of weight you can move. Do what feels challenging to you and focus on numbers later when you're more experienced.

Nutrition. Nutrition. Nutrition. Nutrition. Nutrition.

11. Falhurk

Thanks once again M@,

I've gone twice now, and on one day, I concentrated on my arms, the other day I concentrated on my legs. I'll be posting more in my update for yesterday.

12. Falhurk

Ok, so, yesterday was tiring as hell, but I did well in some areas and boned it up horribly in others.

I only ate 4 meals yesterday, falling short of my revised 5/6 meal idea, not only that but one of them was an unscheduled cheat meal!! Which is horrible, I had Manchu Wok Noodles and Honey Garlic Chicken.. Which is all kinds of bad for me. I have to start getting this diet 100% right. Hopefully May's 100 challenge will help me do that.

I did walk a good 90 minutes, easy. Walked about 12k yesterday, which isn't bad, I'm pretty happy with it.
    I did swim 64 lengths, got my 1600 meters in there, was taking it pretty easy though (As it was mostly breast stroke) as I had JUST got out of the gym.
    At the gym I did do 30 minutes of cardio. It was the first time I had ever done 30 minutes straight on the elliptical, go me! Although, it was tough.
    I worked on my legs at the gym.

On my legs I did:

10x Standing Calf Raise 90lbs (which felt about right)
    8x Standing Calf Raise 90lbs
    8x Standing Calf Raise 90lbs

15x Standing Leg Curl 40lbs (was absolutely too light)
    10x Standing Leg Curl 40lbs
    10x Standing Leg Curl 40lbs

With the standing leg curls, I did them on both legs, so 15x on one side, 15x on the other, 10 on one side, 10 on the other, etc.

15x Lying Leg Press 110lbs (Felt a bit light, but at the end I was pretty tired, too many reps though.)
    15x Lying Leg Press 110lbs
    15x Lying Leg Press 110lbs

10x Leg Extension 80lbs (This one felt about right, was very hard to do at the end)
    8x Leg Extension 80lbs
    8x Leg Extension 80lbs

I drank 2.5 liters of water, so that goal was met!!
    I also took both of my multivitamins.

So, overall, all of my physical goals were met, but the diet got out of sync for the day. Which is very disappointing because I had done very well so far this week. (Though, I did have some cheat ice cream).

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing buy my arms are STILL sore from last Wednesday.

---------------

Goals for today!!

---------------

30 minutes on elliptical
    64 lengths at the pool
    14k walk (to and from the pool).
    Eat every 3 hours. Follow my diet (even though it needs revision)
    Drink at least two liters of water.
    Take both of my Multivitamins.

Assuming I actually go to the pool, today should be a pretty easy day.

I also woke up a bit late today. Is that bad? I mean, should I absolutely wake up at 5am to eat something before sleeping some more? I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. I thought that once I woke up, I should be able to start my meal plan from there, so long as I eat every 3 hours.

Oh and:

What about the arms? Should the arms be it's own day?

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    The pulling motion for your back work will work your biceps, the pushing for chest and shoulders will work your triceps, both will work your grip/forearms. If you feel like your arms are getting neglected then add one or two sets of curls and pressdowns. Superset them (i.e. do a set of triceps pressdowns then immediately do a set of curls before resting).

14. Falhurk

Okie dokie.

Now, I'm sure this has been asked before, but what are the benefits of doing a full-body workout on a workout day rather than a split-body workout?

15. Falhurk

OK, well from a routine standpoint this weekend was horrible.

Saturday, I should have followed my routine but my laptop crashed (was a long time coming) and I spent a lot longer fixing it than I thought I had.. Missing my opportunity to get in some good cardio.

Sunday wasn't bad, my little sisters birthday, we went and rollerbladed around stanley park. Was a good 2-3 hour skate so I feel pretty good about the activity, but the junk we ate was horrible. Pizza :(

So, I'm sitting here, Monday Morning (missed my morning swim due to being unable to get up at 5 as we got back at 1:30) trying to make sure that I can hit the ground running tomorrow as I'm in for May's challange.

In order to be able to get a good start tomorrow, I need to accomplish the following:

---------------

Goals to get ready for tomorrow!

---------------

1.) Finish fixing my computer so the wireless works.
    2.) Fix my diet, it HAS to be done before tomorrow.
    3.) Aquire food according to the revised diet.
    4.) Finish my write-up for the May 100 challange.
    5.) Make sure I go to bed on time, wake up more on time.

I want to be able to do some exercising today, how I'll fit that in, I have no idea.

IF I can find a way to fit it in, I would like to:

1.) Do at least 7k walk.
    2.) Get to the gym, start trying out a full-body workout as per M@'s suggestion).
    3.) Get 30 mins on the elliptical clocked.
    4.) Go for a swim.

The problem is that I get off work at 5, I get home by 6 and I have to be at the gym/pool by 7. Which gives me absolutely zero time to accomplish the first few tasks.

If I can revise my diet while at work, on my break/lunch time, I should be able to finish my May 100 challange post. This would eliminate the need to fix the computer for tonight and should let me get by. I would also be able to pick up the food right on my way home. It's kind of a longish shot but I think that I MIGHT be able to get it all in.

Whoever reads this, wish me luck :)

16. Falhurk

Well, with the 100 challenge under way and drewrockinnm's challenge to me being a part of that, I haven't felt very motivated to get up and post a new entry into my journal.

However, things have been extremely good.

I've stuck to my diet 100%, my exercise regime 110% (as I've done extra, just because I could/enjoyed it). Plus things have been looking good.

The only problem it seems is that I dropped a bit too much weight a bit too quickly, I think. I'm giving it another week, just to see if it's consistent and not water/fluke/whatever. But, I had lost just a touch over 4 pounds last week. At least from Tuesday the 24th to Tuesday the 1st. The odd thing is that in that week (at least the 24th to 30th) I didn't follow my plan as vigorously as I am now. On Sunday I even ate pizza.

So, if my estimations correct, following the same plan, I could lose upwards of 5lbs this weekend, unless it was just an anomaly.

If that's the case than I severely underestimated the amount of exercise I was doing. I'll have to follow dluc's suggestions, though my diet for next week is almost done.

17. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

nice journal kitty, just dropped by to say hi [​IMG]

so, what exactly would you like to become like? i saw the film '300' the other day for the second time, that's some inspiration:drool:

18. Falhurk

Hmm, couldn't find the wavey smiley so /wave!

Well, I don't want to be as beefy as them folks in 300, buuuut, I have an idea of what my ideal body would be like.

[​IMG]

Not sure how I'm going to do it, but, that would be mega-cool.

Basically, my goal is to get fit enough to do stuff that I've really wanted to do (like rock climb, sky dive, hang glide) all sorts of wacky stuff. The look would be great though.

How about yourself? What are you shooting for? lol, and is "kitty" my new name? o_O

19. Falhurk

OH!! I almost forgot to add!!

Majorly awesome update.

Since Tuesday the 24th, I've lost 5 pounds!

Sitting at 203 (as of yesterday), which means it's working!! More focused than ever!!

20. drewrockinmn

drewrockinmn Active Member