1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

fake and bake tan?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Jono, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i've never been a fan of tanning beds.. my eyes rolled everytime i heard a guy went to one of them tanning studios.. :rolleyes:

but now a days it seems to be pretty common..

i dont know much about them, and i am wondering what are some of the dangerous of this type of tanning are?

and if wearing sunscreen while tanning on these puppies is better in some way.. cause i dont know of anyone that does tan on these with suncreen? :eek:

i live in a seasonal place, i do get a nice tan in the summer time.. but this year i dont have my landscaping job, im couped inside :confused:

and id like to have a nice tan to show off my new body and some of that vascularity! :) :flex:

2. Sake Ninja

Sake Ninja Well-Known Member

I wouldn't imagine there's any short term effects (like if you go once or twice in two weeks for a season). You go for a bit and lay in a bed while the lamps cook you. Ask one of the attendants there, and they can give you a good idea of how long you're supposed to stay in there, and what, if any products you'll use (though she'll probably tell you some strange oil for best results just to try for a few more dollars in your pocket). John used tanning lotion and the sun.. so whatever floats your boat. *shrug*.

3. Geed

Geed Well-Known Member

My wife use to work in a tanning salon so I have some of the inside scoop. Normally they limit the tanning time to 20 minutes. Also, you have to wear eye protection from the UV light. Another thing to remember is that regular tanning oil or sun screen then you buy in your local department store is usually not acceptable for use in tanning beds. The reason is because there are chemicals in them that damage the acrylic surface of the tanning beds. So they will want you to purchase a "tanning bed safe" tanning lotion.

I am not a fan of tanning salons. Actually I am not a fan of tanning at all because I have a fair complextion and I usually just burn when the sun hits my skin. For me it would be harder for me to tan than it is for me to loose the rest of my fat!

4. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

I would use the sunless tanning stuff, personally. There's far too many risks with UV radiation regarding skin cancer that I've seen to justify paying someone to bombard you with UV rays.

5. brownguy

brownguy Well-Known Member

Not a fan of tanning bed either, but if you do want to use one, make sure you've done your research.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but there are certain risk factors associated with developing melanoma (skin cancer). Personally I would avoid even limited time in a tanning bed if I had these risk factors:

If you are fair skinned, have red or blonde hair, blue eyes or have a family history of melanomia I would stay away from tanning beds.

Also if you have had one or more severe skin burns or a lot of freckles you are at an increased risk. If you have a lot of moles, make sure you check them over regularly.

6. escher

escher Well-Known Member

I occoasionally go to the tanning booth. Being up in the northern midwest, we are couped up the majority of the year. I get seasonal depression, and going to a tanning booth and getting some UV light helps a lot. Also helps me not look so pasty white!

7. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

Escher, if you have seasonal depression, I would reccomend you look into getting some fish oil. Im guessing it is related to vitamin d since it changes with the season. Fish oil contains a natural vitamin d(d2). Any time you see milk that has vitamin d added to it, it has vitamin d3, a synthetic vitamin d......I believe.

8. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

b vitamins help with depression as far as i know...

9. JaxConrad

JaxConrad Well-Known Member

Well wearing sunscreen on a tanning bed is pointless, because it’s a different type of ultra violet ray, so regular sun screen offers no real protection. I use to use tanning beds regularly and quite a lot early last summer and I could see the skin damage, so I stopped using it. I'd highly recommend sunless tanning like Mahdimael suggested. It has no harmful affects what so ever and if fact will improve your skin (as its recommended you exfoliate and moisturize your skin as part of the prep routine). The only downside to using sunless, spray tanning is the cost; it can be expensive compared to regular tanning beds. However, lots of salons have special offers, so I’d see what your local tanning salons charge. BTW, I'd recommend the ‘Mystic Tan’ (as seen on Friends & Miss Match) branded booths. Its the one I’ve used in the past and it looks really natural.. and funnily enough, I'm off to get a spray tan this evening. :cool:

10. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Lifetime Platinum Membership
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sunless tanning is great! It looks so natural these days you can't tell it's fake, especially if you get an air brush tan in a salon.
    Even the artificial tans from a bottle that you do at home look real as long as you exfoliate first (a must!)
    I like to mix the tanning product half and half with regular lotion so I am sure to apply it evenly, it just glides on smoothly.

11. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

Try out the new MysticTan http://www.mystictan.com/ that is at most tanning salons now. It takes literally 45 seconds, and looks very good, without the effects of the light on your skin.

12. djerickd

djerickd Well-Known Member

What are some good sunless tanning lotions that actually look good, and don't make you orange?

13. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

I would definitely use sunless tanning lotion. Not because of melanoma but have you seen what people looklike that tan too much? They look like bad leather wallets, they have the worst skin, it looks terrible :p

I get some sun from being outside a bit plus if I'm looking a bit pale I might use sunless tanner on my face but thats it. I dont think I could be bothered maintaining a tan all year round.

Marcus :tucool: