1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Failure is not a option

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Whoracle, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Instead of bringing back the old thread I figured it was best to start over again. A lot has gone on the last month but I need to put it all behind me and change things. First and foremost, I need to start with what I can control. I control what I eat, and I control whether not I'm going to go the gym. I've told myself that if I succeed at transforming by body, the rest in life follow. My dating life (or lack thereof currently) would surely improve if I lost 80 pounds, and I bet work and other success will follow. So it begins again.

Went to the gym last night for the first time in awhile. Since sadly I had to give up my apartment I went to the one near my dads house. It was packed even at 1030 at night so workout was not ideal. Also on my first day back I didn't want to get too crazy because not being able to move today from DOMS would only make it not go again. So this is last nights workout:

Day 1
    BP 5x135x6
    Incline DB 3x50x6
    Cable tricep press 3x130x6

Damn I've gotten weak. Cardio tonight. I'll have to weigh myself tonight. My ultimate goal is to lose 80 pounds before my next birthday (in November). This should be doable. My short term goal is simple, lose 10 of that by the end of the year.

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Glad to see you here.

3. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Fixed. Welcome back. Time for me to get back too.

4. Whoracle

Day 2 (last night, figure I might as well waste company time to update this)

Did some light HIIT. Nowhere near where I was before because apparently even a month of being fat but hey it's a start.

Only back to the gym for two days but I'm feeling pretty good in the mornings. I've also been going for about a mile and a half walk on my lunch breaks, but it looks like it will rain this weekend, not sure about today but it looks crappy out. If it's dry around lunchtime I'll take my walk.

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back.

Make it happen. :nod:

6. Whoracle

Did take my lunchtime walk. Felt better so hopefully I'm getting used to it. Plan on hitting the gym tonight after work.

7. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Glad you're back!:)

8. Whoracle

Day 3

I cheated and had fast food for dinner because I was hoping traffic would clear up a bit before I left. It did, but it still sucked. Note to self, just suck it up and deal with it. So that happened.

Came home and passed out for 2 and a half hours so I didn't hit the gym til about midnight
    Deadlifts 5x135x6
    BB row 5x65x8
    BB Curl 3x65x6
    DB Curl 3x25x6 (each arm)

9. Whoracle

Day 5 weekend update

Weekend was a mixed bag. Saturday no workout and diet was fine up until the drinking. At least I'm limiting that to Saturdays only, although with the long weekend ahead I might be in trouble this week. Sunday was up and down. Had fast food for lunch and that was it food wise. Didn't workout but I spent all day cleaning my old apartment before turning in the keys so I think I got the equivalent of a workout from that, and probably then some as it took me a good few hours to get everything done.

But today is a new day and everything should be good. Went shopping last night so diet should be on point. Only bad thing is I'll be getting way too much sodium. I really need to start pre-cooking my meals, but as people here say, you can always tweak later. Today is a beautiful day out so I should be able to get my lunch walk in, and I got a decent amount of sleep last night so I should be able to hit the gym tonight.

10. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

what are you drinking when you go out?
    here's how i've learned to adapt to drinking (we go out every fri/sat):
    i eat my last meal 2-3 hrs before we go out so that my body can hopefully burn it all off before alcohol is introduced. from what i read.. your body burns the alcohol before the protein/fat/carbs

i only drink rum.. no beer (if i do have a beer, i limit myself to one [tall one of course]). if noone is around me, i'll order a rum&diet.. if friends are around.. rum&coke! if it all possible, i have the bartender make it a heavy drink as to limit the amount of soda im drinking.

this method has been working for me.

w/regards to your sodium intake.. where are you getting alot of the sodium from? prepackaged food?.. i found that the perdue perfect cuts (bag of 5 individually wrapped chicken breasts) solved my problem. i was previously eating prepackaged/cooked chicken which was SUPER high in sodium.

11. Whoracle

I normally drink tequila but Saturday night I was drinking rum (straight shots, not mixed with anything).

As for food, I got some pre-packaged roastbeef for some roast been sandwiches. Great calorie wise, but loaded with sodium. I also got some packaged chicken breast strips which again are great calorie wise, but are a good amount of sodium. So yeah my challenge is to find some lunch meat that isn't loaded with sodium.

12. Whoracle

Day 6 update
    Squat 5x135x5
    overhead press 5x65x8
    seated calf raise 3x45x10
    leg curl 3x95x8

Diet was good. Kind of depressing to know that only a few months ago I squatted 225 but I'll get back there.

On a side note, I'm convinced scales have a conspiracy against me. The scale at the gym I'm now using must be broken because I couldn't get a good read off it all. I don't have my digital scale anymore. I bought a basic needle mover thinking that would do the trick but that has me consistently at 330 and I know I'm not that bad. Should be 260ish. So the quest for a reliable scale continues. I'm open to suggestions.

13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I vote for just getting a soft tape measure instead of a scale.

14. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Throw down at walmart.

Go into walmart, unpackage about 5 scales, throw them down on the floor in a lineup and try them all out. Decide which one is giving you the accurate reading, grab a new one off the shelf and leave the throw down scales on the floor for other people.....
    This is how I picked my digital scale and it has been accurate for 4 years. I'm pretty sure walmart employees hate me though.

15. Whoracle

Well I'll try operation make Walmart employees hate their lives even more than they already do sometime this weekend.

Day 7
    Didn't go to the gym. It was to be a cardio day but I did my lunch walk and diet was good so I figure I still come out ahead. Tonight I got a Thanksgiving dinner to go to so not really sure if I will get my work out in. Well like a lot of you the next couple days will be a challenge.

I can't wait for the 4 day weekend. Just picked up Gran Turismo 5 so once I got some free time me and the PS3 are going to spend some quality time together. I'll have to peel myself away later in the weekend to get some work outs in.

16. Whoracle

Day 8
    BB bench 5x140x6
    DB incline bench 3x55x6
    Overhead rope extensions 3x120x8

Diet was good, got my lunch walk in as well. I think I'm going to change up my routine into a 3 day split that will go something like this:

Workout A
    BB press
    BB row
    Incline press
    Deadlifts

Day 2 cardio

Day 3 Workout B
    Legs and the overhead press (can't do this the same day I do my chest it just doesn't work)

Day 4 cardio

Day 5 off

Day 6 workout A

This will give me 4 days to recover between workouts which I find is about the sweet spot for me.

Also, the gym was hiding a scale in the bathroom that works. Weighing myself in less than ideal conditions (late at night, wearing clothes and shoes) I came in at 252. So not as bad as I thought it would be.

17. Whoracle

I keep forgetting to update over the weekend since I haven't been at work and been enjoying my time off. My diet is well as probably as screwed as many of yours has been this weekend since well this is the only weekend you eat Turkey for breakfast like John did lol. Other than Thursday when the gym closed right when I got there (2 pm, bastards) I have been working out though. Everything gets back to normal tomorrow at least.

18. Whoracle

Day 12 update
    Did some cardio last night, 30 minutes on the elliptical because I'm just not ready for HIIT again yet. Diet was okay, not great but not terrible. Back on the beam today though and sadly back to work.

19. Whoracle

Day 13

Yesterday was evil Monday so no workout, but diet was fine. Tonight I will do my upper body workout

20. Whoracle

Day 14

First workout A of the new program

BB bench 5x145x6
    BB row 5x75x8
    Incline DB press 4x55x6
    Deadlifts 4x145x6

I had skipped a back workout converting to this program so I didn't want to get too crazy. I felt like it was a pretty intense workout so this should work for me.

Diet was good, tried making my first protein shake. Used nonfat milk instead of water. Probably not a good idea. I'll try the taste with just water next time and see how that goes.