1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Extended Unicode (including Emoji) Support?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by astroguy, Jan 25, 2019.

1. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Hi! Quick question here, is there any chance that the backend you use can be easily rigged to offer emoji support (or just support for the extended Unicode character set)? I ask because I'm a very visual person, and I've found that posting food for the day or even exercise by using emoji helps me visually see things more quickly and better than simple text. I.e., On Sunday all my food was brown, but today with a salad and stir fry there was some green, etc.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hi @astroguy,

Although our database backend supports UTF8mb4, due to limitations in the current forum software full unicode text is not supported.

The most current feature release of our forum software does support unicode / emoji, but due to lack of time, traffic and financial support there has not been a compelling reason to take on a major upgrade.

While I may choose to perform the upgrade at some point, I'm afraid that for now our selection of smilies will have to suffice. :dance:

Thanks,
    John

3. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Understood, thanks.