1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Extended Fasts

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by huxald, Jul 25, 2009.

1. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

Go

Hello all,

How would you advise people who go on extended fasts (12 hrs a day for a month) for religious/personal reasons. Should they continue to exercise during that time; What sorts of food should they eat? I guess they should cut out cardio.

Thanks in advance,
    ________
    VAPIR NO2

#1 huxald, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. BJ

BJ Active Member

3. gray

gray Active Member

Fasting is fine, I've done it, though not anymore as I'm into endurance cycling and I need full glycogen stores.

As for working out,

you could do it at the beginning of your fast. You will have the most energy for lifting/cardio/whatever, and catabolism will be blunted.

you could do it in the middle of the fast. I find exercising fasted gives me an energy boost and appetite suppression --- it might help you get through your day.

you could could it at the end of the fast. You're most likely to be fueled by proteins, but this is not necessarily a huge deal, as some would make it seem. The benefit to this method is that you would be able to eat after your workout, and carbs postworkout are very helpful for reducing DOMS.

and keep in mind muscle protein synthesis occurs over a much longer period than the 'magic window' after your workout.