1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Expanding the Limits

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Speedlimit, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Where to start?

Stats

age 55 (hence the forum name speedlimit :doh:)
    stats:
    66 inches
    183 lbs
    waist 37.5 inches
    hips 41 inches
    BF - 18% by accumeasure caliper
    shoulders 51 inches
    chest 46 inches
    wrist 7 inches
    forearm 12.5 inches
    Biceps 15 inches
    thigh 22 inches
    calf 16 inches

Goals:

overall -primary fitness and strength, with a some body shaping
    long term(24 month)
    250 pound flat bench - currently at 185
    400 pound deadlift- current best was 290
    350 pound squat - current best is 250
    16 inch upper arm
    24 inch thigh
    34 inch waist
    short term (3 month)
    200 pound bench
    275 pound squat
    315 deadlift

diet - right now it is not all that great, but not nearly as bad as it was 8 months ago. A typical day would be

4:30 am a home baked meal replacement bar
    7:00 am a post workout shake
    9:00 am apple and a Dannon Lite and fit yogurt
    11:00 am large green salad, ham and cheese sandwich with tomato and mustard, low cal snack pack style pudding
    1:00 PM another protein shake
    3:00 PM 1 cup low fat cottage cheese and another apple or a pear
    5:30 - 6:00 PM 8 - 10 oz chicken breast or fish or lean red meat and some steamed veggies
    8:00 or 9:00 pm before bed snack of 1 cup of cottage cheese and another piece of fruit

I also will toss in one or two beers a week, and a couple of glasses of red wine. Occasionally every couple of weeks I will have a cheat meal at a restaurant where I have pretty much whatever I want except cheesecake. I have been known to grab a half cup of no sugar ice cream in the evening, but I try to limit that to once a week.

current workout schedule:
    7 weeks of MM2K's bench press program

http://www.criticalbench.com/MM2K.htm

I will be starting this week after next. I just finished 7 weeks of another version of this program

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

and added about 30 pounds to my bench using a mixture of accessory exercises which were similar.

At the moment I just finished the second week of my recovery period. I took a full week off at the end of the program and last week lifted on Monday Wednesday Friday using 3 work sets of 75% of my 1RM on lifts and did cardio on Tuesday and Thursday

Supplements:
    5:00 am IntraXCell - 3 caps, Flax oil - 3 grrams, Animal Flex and Animal Pak

post workout shake- 50 grams of protein, 35 grams of carbs, 6.9 gram mix of creatine monohydrate, creatine esther hydrate, creatine ethyl ester, 3 grams of BCAA's along with 3 more caps of IntraXcell (still in loading phase)

1/2 hour before bed 3 grams of GABA

will start posting my workouts Monday evening

#1 Speedlimit, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Pics

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

these were taken about the end of April so they are pretty current

and here is a pic of me back in November when I was at about 30% BF

[​IMG]

#2 Speedlimit, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

This is my last week of recovery before starting a strength cycle next week. I will be using this week to determine some 1RMs and see how I like the new routine.

warmup - 2 minutes of various rotator cuff exercises

flat bench - 120 seconds rest between sets

bar x 20 x 2 sets
    95 x 10 x 1 set
    135 x 8 x 3 sets

seated barbell press - 120 seconds rest between sets

bar x 20 x 2 sets
    105 x 8 x 3 sets

candle sticks

20 x 8 x 3 sets - 60 seconds rest between these sets
    15 x 10, 10, 8 - 15 seconds rest between these

triceps kickbacks
    - 30 seconds rest between sets

25 x 15 x 1 set
    30 x 10 x 2 sets

I will be switching these out to triceps extensions next week. The kickbacks just did not feel like they did much

Pec Deck - 60 seconds rest between sets

130 x 10 x 1 set
    175 x 8 x 3 sets

cooldown was 15 minutes of various yoga poses, some stretches a chiropractor taught me, spinal decompression, and shoulder movements

4. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Todays Workout:

Back Squats
    warmups Bar x 10, 95 x 10, 135 x 10
    worksets 205 x 8 x 3 sets

I narrowed my stance a bit and kept the depth to parallel or just slightly below to try and hit the quads more

Hammer Curls
    30 x 10 x 2 sets
    30 x 10, 2, 2 with the last sets of 2 done rest/pause

Leg Curls

95 x 10 x 1
    125 x 7 x 1
    110 x 8 x 1
    trying to find a good weight for set of 8 here

D Ring Pulldowns

150 x 8 x 2 sets
    150 x 10 x 1 set
    I need to increase the weight on these

DB Preacher Curls
    30 x 8 x 2 sets
    30 x 8, 2, 1 done rest pause fashion again

My biceps are long and skinny and need some width but my forearm tendons tend to rebel when I use a EZ curl. That is why I am concentrating on DB work and doing the Hammers and preachers done with burnout rest pause reps at the end hopingit may someday give them some thickness.

#4 Speedlimit, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

35 minutes of cardio. 10 minutes on the elliptical and 25 minutes of HITT on the treadmill.

Moderate DOMs in my traps today.Since my DOMs are on a 48 hour delay I am not sure if it was the candlesticks or the presses from Monday.

6. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Bad day today. Started with some mild pain in my left shoulder while benching, I also felt weak for some reason. Time to re evaluate my diet and goals I think. Instead of going for another strength increase I am going to focus on dropping another 15 lbs which should put me around 15% BF give or take. So next week it is time to start macroing my food intake and back to the wonderful world of baked chicken.

todays lifts:

warmup- 2 minutes of various rotator cuff exercises

Flat bench

45 x 15 x 2 sets
    95 x 5 x 1 set
    145 x 8 x 1 set
    140 x 6 x 1 set
    135 x 5 x 1 set

shoulder was messing up so I kept dropping the weight hoping it would stop

DB Bench

45 x 8 x 1 set
    50 x 8 x 3 sets

no shoulder issues here once I got the first rep up. I could have used a more weight if I had a spotter to hand me the DB's for the first rep.

Lat Raises

15 x 10 x 2 sets
    15 x 10 - 5 - 3 rest pause for the last reps

I do these with hands pronated Charles Glass style. Really stresses the delts using small weights without straining the joint.

Incline bench

115 x 8 x 3 sets

no shoulder issues here either

CG bench

did 2 reps with 95 lbs and shoulder started hurting again so i racked the weights and went over to the cable machine and did some rope pull downs instead.

cooldown - 15 minutes of yoga and stretches

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey, Speedlimit. Nice journal so far. Your decision to drop some more weight and bf sounds like a good one. You've got a great, muscular build that won't go away if you get a little leaner first. Your back and shoulders are impressive already. Good luck with your plan.

By the way, I've got the same long biceps and it is hard to get any width on them. But that doesn't stop me from trying. :nod:

8. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Started todays workout trying some front squats. I had a hard time trying to get the bar to stay up without leaning over backward or taking all the weight on my forearms so I gave up on those pretty quick. Instead I decided to try the Hammer Strength V squat machine. Normally I avoid machines as much as possible but I had a idea. I started with 230 (50 lb sled) and started working my way up keeping my heels together and toes out trying to get a burn in my quads which are also long and skinny.

V squats

230 x 10 x 1
    320 x 10 x 1
    410 x 10 x 1
    500 x 10 x 1

I still never really felt much in my quads but it was good for the ego at least. I had room for one more plate per side so I probably should have knocked off one more set.

SL deadlifts

Decided to try these as a change of pace from regular deadlifts.

95 x 10 x 1
    135 x 10 x 2

One arm rows

75 x 10 x 1
    85 x 8 x 1
    95 x 8 x 1

CG pulldowns

150 x 8 x 3

Incline DB curls

these gave me a surprise, I was going to start with 40's but 2 reps and I put the ego back in the box and grabbed the 25's. I did these on a about a 40 degree ROM maintaining tension on the bicep during the entire movement.

25 x 15 x 1
    30 x 10 x 1
    30 x 10 - 5 - 3 rest pause

Cooldown 15 minutes of yoga stretches

9. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

I spent the morning cooking up about 5 pounds of chicken breasts and picking the meat off the bone and making up some of my home made meal replacement bars.

Here is day 1 meal plan, I will be working on a tuna day and a tilapia day to give myself variety.

5am - meal bar
    7 am post workout - protein shake and creatin mix
    9am 1 -yogurt and apple
    11am - chicken, lettuce, dressing, sweet potato
    1 pm snack - protein shake
    3 pm snack - apple and cottage cheese
    5 pm- chicken, lettuce and dressing
    8 pm peanut butter sandwich and milk

total cals=1980 with a macro of 32% protein, 50% carbs, 18% fats

10. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

pretty short workout weights wise at least

Squats

45 x 10 x 1 set
    95 x 5 x 1 set
    215 x 5 x 1 set
    215 x 4 x 1 set
    185 x 10 x 1 set

Arnold Presses

35 x 10 x 1 set
    40 x 10 x 3 sets

1 Handed pushups ( off hand was on a medicine ball for balance) 20 right handed 20 left handed

25 minute HIIT cardio on the treadmill

15 minutes various stretches

meals went ok but daughter wanted to take ua to dinner. I still had a grilled chicken breast salad without dressing or croƻtons and a unsweetened ice tea. Also today I drank 3 12 oz cups of fresh made Oolong tea with no sugar and appx 80 oz of water.

total cals for the day 2122, protein 198 grams, carbs 238 grams fat 42 grams

11. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

30 min HIIT cardio followed by stretching

calories today 2070, macros were 34% protein, 48% carbs, 18% fats

water drank 2 and a half quarts

12. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

30 min HIIT cardio followed by stretching

2205 cals, macros were 186 grams protein, 255 grams carbs, 49 grams fat

water drank 2 and a half quarts

13. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

catching up

18 June

Flat Benches
    45 x 15 x 2 warmups
    95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 5 x 1
    175 x 3 x 1
    135 x 10 x 1

Pec Deck
    130 x 10 x 1
    175 x 10 x 1
    205 x 8 x 2

Incline Bench
    135 x 5 x 3

25 min cardio on T mill
    15 minutes various yoga stretches

20 June

Deadlifts
    135 x 10 x 1
    225 x 5 x 1
    265 x 5 x 1
    225 x 5 x 1

Pullups - alternated wide grip and close grip 2 set of 8 each

Lateral Lifts and candlesticks - did 3 sets of 15 x 10 super setted. Hands were pronated on the laterals

Hammer curls and DB preacher curls - also supersetted did 2 sets of 10 each with 30 lbs then the last set I could only squeeze out 8 hammers and 6 preachers

High X-overs
    20 x 10 x 1
    30 x 8 x 2

15 minutes of stretching

next week I am going back to my 4 day split cause I would rather lift than run on a treadmill while watching CNN. Wife and I received 2 beach cruiser bikes that we gave out in laws as a Christmas present about 20 years ago. My mother in law had just let them sit in the garage after my father in law passed on about 5 years ago. I put new tires on them and we will start using them for short errands and light neighborhood rides. Diet has been pretty good but I fell down on watching my macros. Will do a weigh in and caliper measurement tomorrow hoping I will be 180 or at least 181.

Old faithful 25 year old blender died last evening making hummus so we went blender shopping. Ended up buying another Oster, we were looking for a Waring but the only one we could find was puke green so we got a Oster for half the price. Made a test smootihe earlier and it worked fine, my wife made herself a mock margarita and it handled the ice fine also. Hope it lasts like the old one did.

#13 Speedlimit, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  14. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

You know, if there actually is a 12 year old girl out there warming up with your 1RM, you can take some solace in the fact that she is a freak of nature, and probably scary looking.

15. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

ROFL, I will keep that in mind

did weigh in this morning and a caliper measurement, nothing really changed. Not that I really sweating it much, it 's not like I am getting ready to compete or anything. I figure for a old fart I look pretty decent compared to most guys my age but, there is always room for improvement.

I am looking forward to tomorrows workout already. I love these 4 week progressions.

16. hornguy

hornguy Well-Known Member

Really good progress dude! You do really have a solid muscular base and your progress from the previous pic is inspiring... Keep it up!

17. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Thanks, all I can say is muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

I retired from the US Navy back in 99 and I was about 175 and 15% appx BF. I let myself go for 8 years and ballooned up to 215 which is about where I was when the November pic was taken. When I was on active duty I worked out 3 times a week and my job was more physical. After I retired I took a desk job and that compiled with a really bad diet led to my Alfred Hitchcock physique.

18. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Day 1 of this progression and it was leg day! I love this progression plan . It starts the first weekwith high reps of moderate weights.

Squats
    bar x 15 x 2
    95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 3 x 1
    160 x 12 x 2
    170 x 10 x 2
    180 x 8 x 2
    155 x 10 x 1

Leg Curls

110 x 8 x 3 - these I just do in standard sets of 8. Explosive concentric and a slow controlled eccentric to a count of 5

Leg Press

485 x 10 x 1
    575 x 10 x 1
    665 x 8 x 1
    395 x 15 x 1
    This is the Hammer sled which you load with free weights. I have found that I can do about 3 times the weight I use on a normal squat, but I can take a narrower stance than I would in normal squats in order to try and hit the quads a bit better.

Diet today was good, plenty of water and green tea was drank. However I am getting lax on the macro counting. Wife has about got me talked out of doing a cut insisting I look great just the way I am. Of course if I want to work on putting another inch on the arms she is all for that :tucool: Don't really matter I suppose, it is all just for fun anyway:nod: Tonights dinner is Mexican style pork burgers on whole wheat with a low fat chipolte dressing and asparagus salad. Might not lose any fat but that beats the hell out of a broiled chicken breast and broccoli.

#18 Speedlimit, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi SL, just catching up on your journal. You seem to have a solid plan and the progress you've made since the November picture is admirable.

I don't know if there's any 12 year old girl repping your 1RM, but there most certainly is one warming up with mine. You have a real good basis to build upon.

20. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

What you fail to mention though is that there are few, if any, 12 year old girls that could hang with you on a bicycle ride. I know there are many 12 year olds and probably a few 10 year olds that could leave me eating dust on their tricyles. The wife and I rode our refurbished cruisers to the post office and the drug store yesterday and today our glutes are suffering from that short ride.

We all choose out path to fitness and in my opinion the only wrong choice is to do nothing.

#20 Speedlimit, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008