1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Exercises with lower back injury?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by kazubb, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kazubb

kazubb Active Member

Hi, my fiancé asked how she can do exercises with a lower back injury. I told her I'd do some research and look it up. A while back she was in a car accident and shattered a few of her discs in her back. L2 looks the worse. She has two rods with six screws in her back now. Since then she has had one child and they told her that they weren't sure she'd be able to carry and give birth after the accident. She's not very big, 5'2" and 108 lbs, but she wants to lose the little tummy she has. What are some exercises with lower back injury she could do that wouldn't cause any pain or discomfort for her? Does anyone know or know where I might find some help? Maybe even books or something?

2. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about your fiancee's injuries, but glad that she's not taking it lying down! Good for her! *and congrats on the baby :) *

If my memory serves me well, I had to build up my core muscles following a similar scenario. An auto accident left me with torn up knees, bad back, other major injuries.

At some point, I believe that I did a lot of crunches and planks, in order to build up my stomach muscles, which in turn helped my back. One other thing that helped, although I didn't think so at first, was trying to stabilize myself on a balancing ball. In fact, this is what my PT had me start out with.

It's been a very long time since my accident, but I remember doing those exercises got me moving again, pain free.

3. kecko1

kecko1 Active Member

Her doctor would be the best place to start, since he/she can look at x-rays and know how bad the injury is. Weight training on machines (rather than free weights) might be one option, since they isolate the muscle in focus without stressing the core. Cardio--swimming in particular is probably the best--should also be manageable on the doctor's OK.

4. Reeveso

Reeveso Active Member

I agree with them.

First thing I would do is go see a Chiropractor, not a general doctor. A general doctor won't give you the right answer and won't be able to assess the situation properly. If not a Chiro, go to someone who specializes in back injuries (so, a Chiro haha).

Then just start building it back up very slowly. Depending on what the doctor says, I'd personally start with things just like bending at the hip and rotating, swimming, good mornings with very light weight, etc.

Then move onto the plank things like that and see how it feels. But with an injury like that, DON'T overdue it - you might do more harm than good (well not you, your fiancee).

Tell her I said good luck on getting better! :gl:

Oh also, not sure what she weighs but if she's overweight, losing weight would help tremendously - it would put less pressure on her spine. Just a suggestion.