1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Examples of AVERAGE JOE/JANE Ecto-, Endo-, and Mesomorphs

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Reign, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Reign

Reign Well-Known Member

I tried Googling examples of ectomorphs, endomorphs, and mesomorphs. Largely, I get either crude drawings or computer drawn examples of what these body types look like or I get photos of these bodybuilders who fall into each of these categories.

I'm wondering how to identify classify average people into these body types or a hybrid of any two body types. The question arises because I am not certain if I fit neatly into the category of an meso- or endomorph.

Perhaps people can point to a resource or post photos of themselves (the average Jane or Joe) and label those examples as ecto, ecto/meso, meso, meso/endo, or endo?

Thanks.

2. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

If you look like Woody Allen....you're an ecto.

If you look like Jay Cutler.....you're a meso.

If you look like a cross between Danny DeVito and Alfred Hitchcock....you're an Endo.

3. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I wish I could recall where -- but I read somewhere that this typology was a live theory at some point and then subsequently debunked. Certainly people gain weight differently, and people have different kinds of bone structures, so it might be possible to classify them in some way. But there aren't natural body types such that bone structure and fat allocation hang together according to some pattern.

#3 modmaven, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Well, NONE of us look like Jay Cutler...lol. But, these somatotype ideas supposedly characterize how the body carries fat, size of frame, and general ability to gain muscle. Most of us don't fit into one pure category or another .... and I would also question how useful these categories really are. No matter which of these somatotypes you are, the application of general muscle building and fat loss protocols are going to be the same.

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

One reason to think about the types is for people to try and figure out what they might end up looking like. For guys that have been heavy for a long time this alone can make it interesting.

An Ecto is narrow shouldered , narrow chest and normally long limbed. Long distance runner type.

An Endo will have a round face. Sloping shoulders. Shoulders not much bigger then the chest. Chest is bigger then then the Ecto. Bigger hips.

A Meso will have square shoulders. Broader then average shoulders in relation to the chest. Chest between Ecto and Endo. More of a naturally smaller waist then the other two.

NFL OG would be an Endo much of the time. Larry Allen?
    NFL Linebacker often a Meso.
    Marathon winner an Ecto.

Most people are a mix of the two.

6. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Somatotypes are ludicrous. They were invented by a psychologist named William Sheldon to associate psychological temperament with body type. Give the Wikipedia article a read.

The fitness industry adopted the classification because it is a convenient way to describe apparent morphological differences, but, in practice, physiques are completely malleable.

I'd suggest forgetting the concept completely and never referring to it again.

#6 chicanerous, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

:tucool:

8. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

9. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

you're just making your head hurt by focusing too much on stuffs like these... and worse, you'd just be beating yourself out if you're not a mesomorph. :lol:

btw... i think brad pitt is a mesomorph e? ;)

10. Toni

Toni Well-Known Member

Arnold Schwazzaneger - Mesmo

Jay Cutler - endo

Frank Zane - ecto

11. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

:confused:

The QB?

12. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Considering the other two are famous bodybuilders, I'd think he's referring to IFBB Pro and 4x Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler.