1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Everyone's Favorite brand of oats?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mattback, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

Thanks M@!

Can't belive I totally missed that part of the thread... :o

I know exactly what you mean! At first I was buying cans of McCann's from Trader Joe's for a little over 6 bucks. Then I found I can get a WHOLE POUND of the stuff for under 4 bucks... :eek: But I think the extra 2+ bucks goes to gas. :lol:

2. mattback

mattback Active Member

It looks like i'm gonna finish off the instant oats packages that i have here, and then switch to the good old fashioned quaker rolled oats or quaker steel cut oats. either is fine for me. i am not gonan grind em, i love chewin em myself! <3

oh man i'm SOOOOOO hungry for good oatmeal right now this sucks

3. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

I eat the store brand version of quaker instant packets in the "low sugar" flavours (The store brands are virtually identical, and literally half the price of Quaker packets).

I recognise there are better GI choices. I also recognize there are FAR WORSE choices. I typically eat eggs, egg whites, or PB at the same time. This provides some protein and/or protein fat to the meal.

I have had some bad steel cut oats in the past. They can go rancid, I suppose since I don't think many folks eat them and the may sit on the shelf a while.

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

They seem more flavorful and fresh, I grind them for my PWO right at the time I am going to use them or maybe a day or two before and then refrigerate them. But I don't grind them when I am cooking oat meal cereal for breakfast.. say.

McCann's steel cut oats are the only ones I like but I will confess I have never tried buying bulk steel cut oats.

Maybe I am deluding myself, but I think they keep their nutrition longer as well as their taste is you wait until the last minute grind them (which as I said, I only do when they are going into my PWO.)

5. mattback

mattback Active Member

I went ahead and purchased the store brand old fashioned oats. half the price of quaker and the exact same! yay for good old fashioned rolled oats.

OMG I LOVE THEM

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

During the work week I had been taking those Quaker single serve packets that you mix in a bowl with water, and put in microwave. I never realized how much sugar there is in some varieties. I just bought some "HO Smart Balance" that has no sugar added (has some flaxseeds added) , and while it doesn't taste as good, it definitely is a better choice. I am going to have to add some cinnamin starting tomorrow, hopefully that will help the taste. But even if it doesn't, it is something I can get used to.