1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever get cought up in a nutrition argument?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by RODRIGUEZ, Jul 7, 2011.

1. RODRIGUEZ

RODRIGUEZ Active Member

So a family member tells how a co-worker uses the peel from a pineapple to reduce apetite. I said "WHAT!"

Yes he puts the peels in a jar with water in the fridge. A few minutes before eating he drinks the water and it cuts out his hunger.
    What the!, What the! , I said if that would work pineapples would be $30 each. IMO that is just a positive seed that he uses to help his hunger out. Also he is drinking it before lunch or dinner and that helps a lot, he could have just used plain water.
    But she wouldn't hear none of it.

Second one. A dad in my sons football practice is talking about how he used to eat the complete eggs, INCLUDING SHELL because the shell also has protein.
    I just shook my head on that one. LOL

So does any one get cought up when they have a conversation about nutrition at work or wherever?

How do you handle it?

2. RyanTheOne11

RyanTheOne11 Member

I think everyone is always going to have their own opinion on what they think works and what doesn't and that is something you just have to respect.

What it really comes down to is if it works for them or not. Everyone's body handles food differently. I try to just stay respectful when I get in these little arguments with my friends while at the same time speaking the facts :)

3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I never really get in these kind of arguments with people -- it is totally pointless.

A couple of years ago, I was cutting, and a friend of mine told me "You should eat these mini pizzas they have at Kroger. They are low fat."

I just said "thanks for the advice" and left it at that.

4. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Um, egg shells are calcium carbonate. Sigh.

Anyway, everyone has their own sacred cows. At some point, if they're not causing harm, you just accept that and move on.

5. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

I don't argue nutrition with folks. I'll advise if people ask for my opinion, but it's pointless to tell people anything. I have a neighbor who trains intensely in the same gym I train at, but eats like a slob. I told him once that if he straightened out his diet with his training discipline, he would drop the lbs. quickly. His response? "I'm adding muscle now. I'll try to lose fat in the winter.". I am sure you can all tell me what is wrong with this statement, but some guys know everything. BTW, this gentleman is around 6' and around 260. And not that good 260.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I was at my cousins house, and they said something like Jiffy peanut butter tastes the best. Normally I don't talk about nutrition unless asked, but not thinking, I said I would only buy a natural peanut butter, like Smuckers. I said I would never eat Jiffy, it is full of trans fats. They looked at me like I lost my mind. :crazy: Their comment was when you buy Smuckers you have to mix it. With Jiffy, no mixing is necessary. It apparently is too much work to mix a jar of peanut butter, in order to help prevent a heart attack later in life.:confused:

7. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I actually think this could work for some people. They're drinking cheap flavoured water. The body thinks they're eating something and it takes the hunger away for a bit.

I think I've told this before. My little cousins husband wants to drop weight. He has her weighing the lettuce in his salad to make sure he doesn't eat too much. OTOH he eats things like cookies for breakfast. A bunch of other things. But can't have an extra leaf of lettuce :rolleyes:

8. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

I've given up explaining my 20-25 eggs per day consumption to EVERYONE.

9. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

That is a lot of eggs. You may not have as much difficulty explaining 3 pounds of steak a day, though... :lol:

10. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

^^ Nice quads!

11. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Yes I get caught up in arguments.....and you know what?...no-ones paying the slightest real attention to anything said.

Most people will sit down and rattle off everything they've ever read in a book or seen on T.V.....ending with a reference to some new "gimmick" diet.

Then when they are by themselves they will immediately go out and eat whatever it is that tickles their fancy.

While eating they will mentally soothe their guilt by promising themselves that they will "burn" this off tomorrow or eat one less doughnut on Friday.

Everyone is a walking nutritional scientist.

But what they say and what they do are two different things.

12. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

What you secretly eat in private, shows off in public.

13. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Some of the old people I know will only change their diet when they are absolutely forced to because they have something come up like Diabetes etc.etc.

If you have a conversation with them about nutrition, they defend their diet by saying "well..I'm too old to worry about it now....this is one of the few things I have left in my life that makes me feel good".

The more you talk about diet to them, the more they equate you on the same level as a religious fanatic.

So I don't.

14. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

There is a guy at work with diabetes, quite overweight, goes for "walks" at lunch, though he is kind of hobbling limping. He was eating some candy one day and commented that he knows it's bad for him but he is going to die anyway so wants to enjoy it.

I hear this from other people leading unhealthy lives, like it's ok to die young because the years at the end suck anyway. So myopic and wrong.